What did you do today on your 1955-1957

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
As a winter project here in the freezing inland NW, I replaced the fender skirt gaskets using a hot glue gun. The driver's side fit's great but the passenger side has always been tight. Can't quite get it too latch. Thinking on using my heat gun to warm it enough to soften the glue and rubber to get it to click in. should be interesting to get it hot enough to soften the glue but not effect the paint.

I have my '55 in France in a friend's garage; 5th owner and whoever rebuilt the engine did a perfect job...rear antisway bar and hard brake linings make it the equal of any jag in the twisties. europeans love to see it. was in the chantilly concours 2 years ago as an 'Unmodified' postwar car. I have one with a continental kit here in tulsa in fine condition that I'd let go for $23k. wife loves it because it's black with both tops.

thought we had the one in europe sold to a reputable broker whom we've dealt with for years but I got ghosted--'55 t-birds are eligible for the mille miglia you know! just get your fiva papers! anyway that's why I have 2!

Bought 65 Mustang bucket seats. Tearing down 351w to take to a machine shop for later installation in my 55

Complete suspension rebuild and Pertronix / Flame Thrower install for my mother's '57...

TBird Suspension Rebuild 1-2021 (2).jpg

Installing new rear springs on my 57.

I looked at the covered car in the garage. Sigh ... spring can't come soon enough.

Ahh... the joys of driving our classics. I've been trying to get mine roadworthy after 20+ years of neglect while life got in the way. Fire it up and take a couple of mile drive and see what shows up. Been a coolant leak. a carb leak, power steering leak, Fuel pump leak etc..
Unfortunately each repair took it off the road for weeks at a time so no road time. I think this summer it will be road worthy and then work on the cosmetics.

As noted above, finished the cooling system, on to suspension now; new bushings, brakes, seals, springs(?), and maybe a heavier duty front sway bar. Just took the wheels off last weekend and scrubbed the underside and wheel wells - amazing how much dirt can collect in just 65 short years.... :)

My bumpers are in TN getting replated, too darn cold in MO anyways, I will be ready to go in the spring. BTW, I have just one fender skirt and I am always looking for someone that has a single one laying around.

Just gave my wife my wish list on Amazon. Buffing pads for my random orbit 5" sander. I was prepared ask for a dedicated buffer at $65 + and doing my research I found buffing pads for my 5" orbital multi speed sander. PERFECT! I'm pretty much done with the mechanics and now on to the cosmetics this spring.

I've never 'cut and buffed' a paint job before. I've got plenty of paint on the car due to two repaints, so it's not thin and an acrylic enamel. I've got 'spider web' problems on the engine hood due to the heat. Now that the wife has ordered some buffing pads for my 5' random orbital sander for my birthday, I'm a good shade tree mechanic but never dealt much with paint. Any basic do's and don'ts I should know about this spring?

After driving the car last week, I decided it was time to take the stumble and fuel seeps out of the carburetor. It has an Autolite 4100 carb on it. The accelerator diaphragm cover was warped to the point it was not sealing. Fixed that. The power valve had a thin layer of residue on it from old gas and rusty fuel tank. New parts from the kit solved that. Secondary butterflies were stuck closed and the vacuum diaphragm leaked air which was causing an issue I didn't know I had. I figured out that the carb was a smorgasbord of parts used to build one carb.
Anyway after going through the carb the car runs smoother, no longer stumbles and the idle screws were turned in 1 full turn to smooth out the idle ( they had been turned out between 3-3 turns) All around good day.

Pulled out my shop manual, Planning on fixing the slow power windows this spring when the old grease is softer and easier to clean and re-pack. Cleaning and re greasing the gearboxes as every thing else seems to function, Oh, and replace the old door panels. Still working on how to attach the chrome trim on the new panels.

As a winter project here in the freezing inland NW, I replaced the fender skirt gaskets using a hot glue gun. The driver's side fit's great but the passenger side has always been tight. Can't quite get it too latch. Thinking on using my heat gun to warm it enough to soften the glue and rubber to get it to click in. should be interesting to get it hot enough to soften the glue but not effect the paint.
Put in a carpet kit and a chrome ball on the side vent that has been missing many years.
Once the parts arrive , I am replacing the top fiberglass arm rests.

Saving for a steering box......expensive part.

Still waiting on the return of my bumpers, they are on the way back home soon. I am wondering everyone's' take on replacing the wiper motor with a rebuilt vacuum pump or the electric replacement. I've taken pride and worked hard in keeping the car original.

Finally got my passenger window back in. pulled the whole regulator assembly, cleaned an lubricated including the gear box with white lithium grease and replaced the rollers. Installed a new door panel but moving the trim from on to the new was another instruction on ingenuity. I never knew they moved that fast. I guess for safety reasons many years back they made them slow down.
Anyway took it out for a shake down cruise and ran into a local club showing off their different builds. All ran well and met some good people.

Back