Valve Body Problem | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Valve Body Problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Roger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R
Reaction score
My wife is traveling to New Mexico from Dallas in her '03 Bird. After 3 hours on the road, the AC stopped blowing cold air and was barely working. An E message showed up and she stopped at a dealership in west texas. The diagnosis is a Valve Body malfunction and needs to be replaced along with the torque converter. The car has 64k and is out of warranty. I do not know what kind of a situation may have caused this problem and would be interested in comments.

Her transmission is ok. Thanks. Roger

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My wife is traveling to New Mexico from Dallas in her '03 Bird. After 3 hours on the road, the AC stopped blowing cold air and was barely working. An E message showed up and she stopped at a dealership in west texas. The diagnosis is a Valve Body malfunction and needs to be replaced along with the torque converter. The car has 64k and is out of warranty. I do not know what kind of a situation may have caused this problem and would be interested in comments.

Her transmission is ok. Thanks. Roger

Do you know if the recall involving adding an additive to the transmission fluid was done? If you don't know the Ford service people should have a record of it on their computers. If it wasn't done it MAY have caused the failure.

Last edited:
quickdraw, thanks for the post. I do not know if the transmission fluid additive recall was done. I have most, if not all, of the service records and will look for it there. If not, I will ask the dealer about it. I plan on visiting with the dealer anyway to ask about extending her warranty another 2 months to cover the repair.
Do you know approximately when the recall took place? Thanks, again for your help.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger see if this helps

Other data I came across for you:

SSM# 16893 (Special Service Message)
2003 Lincoln LS and Thunderbird Built Between 11/06/2002 and 03/13/2003 May exhibit an illuminated TCIL " E " or and error message with DTC P1744 ONLY. Only 5R55S transmissions built between 11/06/2002 (2L06) to 02/13/2003 (3B13) are affected: 3W4P-700-AC (3.9L) Serial # S 02000-20659; 3W4P-7000-BC (3.0L) Serial # S 02000-07036; refer to I/D tag on the case. Run onboard diagnostics. If only DTC P1744 is present, preform output state control change when the TCC is commanded to 100%. replace the Main Control Valve Body Assembly (3W4Z-7A100-CB) and clean the transmission cooling system. If other DTC's are present, follow normal diagnostics/service procedures. " DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER PART UNTIL DIAGNOSIS IS COMPLETE "

And here's some info I found posted elsewhere with similar issues on an '03:
April ‘03
Our 2003 Thunderbird has just over 3,000 miles. The shift indicator goes to an "E" after five miles or so of driving. It does not flash. If you turn off the engine the correct gear position will be shown for the next five miles or so on restart. Owners manual states that a "E" may appear due to errors, a flashing "E" should be towed to the service department. All we have experienced is the solid "E" in place of the gear indication. When the "E" is present it is there regardless of SST or regular automatic positioning of the gear shift lever.
First repair was to replace the sensor module that detects the gear position for the automatic. Ford tech drove about five miles and the "E" was back.
Ford Technical support has now indicated the issue is the dash cluster. A new one has been ordered, it must be programmed with the vehicle mileage by Ford before being shipped to the dealer. The car has now been at Ford Service for 11 days. Dash cluster may be shipped to arrive Thursday and installation will take two or three hours.
Local Ford Tech is concerned this is a "Best Guess" by Ford and the problem may still exist.
RESULTS:
Well, The instrument cluster has been installed, 2 error codes are gone, but 1 code has appeared.
Looks like the Instrument Cluster removed an error that has covered up the real issue.
Problem seems to be either the torque converter clutch or the Transmission valve body. Dealer is currently on the phone with Detroit to see if they can isolate the problem to a specific problem that can be repaired.
So the 2003 Thunderbird has been in the shop effectively for three weeks and now it will continue.
Only error indication that we have seen so far is the "E" in place of the gear position indicator.
AND THEN:
Well we got the car back today. 28 days total for analysis and replacement of the transmission valve body.
There is a TSB for 2003 Thunderbirds and the final repair is to replace the valve body. 50400 - DRIVELINE OTHER AUTO TRANS CONCERNS IS THE TITLE NUMBER 16893 SEEMS TO BE THE DESCRIPTION OF THE ISSUE. It contains the serial numbers of concern and what needs to be replaced. The car performs better with the new valve body. The original shift pattern seemed to pull a lot to timing from the engine between shifts. Very noticeable. Now the car performs like you would expect a HP sports car to perform. So maybe replacing the valve body will be a benefit. Only time will tell.

So you are not alone.,...I hope some of the data I posted helps you with more cost effective resolution.
Let us know please, how you make out,
George

Last edited:
George, thanks for your input. I will know something in the next 2 days. I will be glad to post the results.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back