USAF Thunderbirds

Status
Not open for further replies.
F
In 1998 the Jefferson County , Colorado Airport had it's last air show with jets.

A retired United Airlines pilot died in a crash too close to homes for comfort. It was a sad day following one of the best weekends for the '55-'57 Bird club.

We got to drive the pilots on pass and review down the taxi way in front of the grandstands in our Thunderbirds.

After the "Thunder on 66" I plan on visiting Las Vegas and the Home of the USAF Thunderbirds with our new Bird.

The coolest team at the'98 show was of course the USAF Thunderbirds. They have a great web site and here is their link http://www.airforce.com/thunderbirds/index.htm
Please look at the History section of the USAF Thunderbirds if you have time. It has some great information about this special namesake to our Ford Thunderbirds.
------------------
'56 + NM'02 Birds
F250, Olds Aurora 4.0
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Oh Boy-now you're going to get me started! LOL

Being a Navy man, I'd have to disagree and say that the Blue Angels are the best. I love watching Fat Albert, the Angels support aircraft, do a rocket-assisted take-off. If you haven't seen this, it is absolutely amazing! They have placed four rocket pods on each side of the fuselage, near the rear cargo door. The C-130 will start rolling, and after 100 feet they ignite the pods and rotate-within 20-30 seconds they are at 1500 feet. Fairly impressive performance from a trash-hauler like the Herkybird.

FD, if you don't mind my wife and I may follow you that way-I would love to see the home of the Thunderbirds! All kidding aside, no matter what service they come from, the guys that fly with the Angels and the Thunderbirds are the BEST!!

------------------

jodrod-

I had a friend that flew with the Angels for two years-and I was able to get a hop each year. In the Navy, if it isn't a fast-mover like the F/A-18, a sub-hunter like the S-3B or a rescue helo, it's a trash-hauler-except for the C-2 COD, which carry the mail deliveries to the fleet.

------------------

Our Son is an 89 AF Academy grad with 2000 hrs in the F-16, the plane the TBirds fly. He tried out for the TBirds about 2 yrs ago.
He decided not to go with the Birds because the AF Ops Tempo became so intense he was never at home. He was gone 240 days in one year He got out of the AF.

My point here is that I think he knows members of the team. I'd be glad to check if you like.

EMail me other wise I won't stick my nose in....

Jodrod-

All of the equipment in the Navy is respected-but judt like our pilots, they all have nicknames. This is the way we have always talked about the planes that we use-I'm not disrespecting the aircraft-its just the way we talk about them.

Good bye, people-just getting too serious for me in here-and I always try to laugh at life in general. If you need information about Thunder, it will either be posted in the Thunder on 66 Yahoo group, or on the new **** website:
www.fordthunderbirdforum.org

------------------

Tony,

I don't know how to interpert that second paragraph. I certainly hope that does not mean you are not going to post anymore. My apologies.

Tony, I think the most of you and all of our Armed Forces. A thought here, get a formal tour for those wanting to go the Nellis AFB after the convention.
The Navy Blue Angels has a great web site the link is here http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index2.html
The Blue Angels have flown to audiences all over the world 350,000,000 plus spectators and were formed in 1946, a year before the US Air Force was named a branch of the Armed Forces.
Please if you have time, give this web site a look see.

I've been to P-cola-love the museum there! I think it's better than the one at Wright-Patterson, but that is just personal opinion. I'll be talking with the PIO at Nellis this week to set up a visit.

------------------

FD-

I'll be receiving a call from Capt. D. Halfhill, the PAO, sometime this am. Will be arranging a photo op with the pilots, ground crew and aircraft, surrounded by a group of cars.

The Thunderbirds will be in town, as that time block is between shows. I'll plan a visit for the 26th of August.

------------------

Re: Base visit.

All military bases are on ThreatCon Bravo until further notice. I did chat with Captain HalfHill this am-and it looks like the 27th would be the best day for a base tour, providing the Bravo status is lifted. The Thunderbirds are on a tour that previous weekend, returning the 26th. They may do some hops on the 27th, But Capt. HalfHill says she'll work something out with the guys so they are available for photos and autographs. There may be a possibility of observing the practice hop as well.

------------------

Thanks Tony

I hope the tour restrictions are lifted.

Will you need SSN's or other identification a month or more prior to the actual visit?

Last time I toured NORAD it was a requirement.

Ford used the Thunderbirds for promotional photos last year.
WKA199905071011_pv.jpg

TR-that shot is inside the hangar the Thunderbirds use for their aircraft. I have several of the other pics that were shot that day. With any luck they'll lift the restrictions, and the folks that attend the tour can get a group shot with all the aircraft, crews and cars.

------------------
**********, **************************

C-130 Hercules a "trash hauler"????Tell that to the thousands of U.S. Air Born,Rangers,various special ops that have been ferried to drop points for thier missions...call those people "trash" and you might end up with a bloody nose and deservedly so.....also ask all the Al Quaida and Taliban on the recieving end of the AC-130 Spectre variant....she is hauling something and it ain"t trash.Every plane in each branch serves its purpose.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

need help with husbands gift

found your site and saw the help and comradery you offer each other here. This is my plight, I am married to the greatest man in the world and want to give him a special anniversary gift. he is 26 years in air national guard presently in POL and was 15 years active duty air force as a boomer. He had the privilege of fueling the thunderbirds on a few occasions as an air crew member and still talks about it and how much he loved it. I have searched everywhere trying to get a picture of them autographed so i can have it framed and give to him for our aniversary. not having any luck. can anyone out there help??? i am sandra and at scooters8080 on hotmail. please anyone.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back