TSB's specs and other info | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

TSB's specs and other info

• Thread starter Thread starter George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Passed Away July 25, 2015
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I'll list a few TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) and specs here that I'm aware of:

COPS- Engine misfire or rough running 03-14-4
Steering column pops or clicking noise 02-21-3
Transmission harsh shifts 03-15-8
Mass air flow 05-03-01 and article 303-04-1
Radio wiring 130-1
Fan belts - symptoms/sources and action 303-03-1
Battery - Disconnect and remove 414-01-1
Headlamp adjustments 417-01-1

All of the above are in pdf file format. However, for those who are "do-it-yourselfers", here's a list of publications that have the same data available for Ford service and owner info:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result....dule=&mscsid=6859UJSTPDXA9GDUHHJT8H7QMK2QBCR8

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'll check on that and post if I do. However, I cannot get to it until Monday

dchamb:
I found nothing on adding fluid to the steering resevoir but here's some info from someone that had a squeek in their steering:

"For steering noise:

Installed XL 3: ADD HYP LUBE
Installed XT 2 QDX: FLUID-AUTO TRANS 1 QT "MERCON"
296-CHECK OVER STEERING SYSTEM, CHECK OASIS 111 042 519, DETERMINE TSB 04-10-1 APPLIES, DRAIN FLUID & REFILL PER TSB, FOLLOW PROCEDURE AS OUTLINED & TEST DRIVE"

That Oasis number is one that your service man can look up on the Ford system for our birds. And of course the TSB may also apply.

I am not sure why or what the 1st two items are (XL3 7 XL 2)

I have the pdf file at work so if you want, PM me your emails address (can't copy it here, too long), and I'll email you a copy next Tuesday when I'm at work

George

power steering info

Thanks for looking that up for me. I'll print what you have here, show it to the service man and see if it makes sense to him. He has all the ford service discs for all models etc. I will take you up on mailing the other if he needs it.

Thanks for looking that up for me. I'll print what you have here, show it to the service man and see if it makes sense to him. He has all the ford service discs for all models etc. I will take you up on mailing the other if he needs it.

FYI, every Ford, Lincoln/Mercury dealer has the Oasis system in their service area. Tied directly to Ford.

I'll see what I can find fro you, but it may take a few days, so check back

Thanks TBIRD.

George,
Is there a TSB for rear wheel bearings on 03 Tbirds? My bearings are humming away.
jetbird

Jetbird: I don't find any TSB's but I'll copy, below, what happened to another owner over a long period and it's final positive results:
A) - If you have any problems with Ford and their identifying the part and part number (it is the part number they are entering into the computer wrong)

B) - I took the bird into Ford this morning. I've noticed a whine sound which seemed to be coming from the rear end of the car. I only seemed to be able to hear it when I took my foot off the gas and then this fairly loud whine.
Ford just called and said it is the left rear wheel hub bearing and is not covered under my extended warranty. The cost to repair $885! I ask the cause of this and the only answer I got was "wear".

C) - Here is a list of things covered even under the most basic ESP warrantee which is called PowertrainCare:

Rear-Wheel Drive
Axle shafts
Bearings, front-wheel
Bearings, rear-wheel and axle hub
Drive axle housing and all internal parts
Drive shaft
Retainers
Seals and gaskets
Universal and constant velocity joints
Your repair has got to be covered. When they finally admit that it is covered the big question will be why on earth did they give you a hard time in the first place?

D) - Well the bird is home, all fixed. And I am $906 poorer plus another $50 for a car rental that was not covered, because the warranty was not allowed.
They insist that the parts replaced are not part of the drive train. Arrgh!!

E) - I am still working on this, spent a couple hours yesterday with the service manager and parts dept. at Marietta Ford. They also did an Oasis on my car. We talked a long time about the hub and knuckle and how it is assembled and what parts of it are sold as one and what pieces can be sold individually. I'm sure glad I was on top of my game when I told them I wanted to keep the old knuckle assembly after the repair was done, it is living proof that Ford replaced parts that did not need to be replaced.
This morning I will be heading off to my own dealership to meet up with the Service manager and ask why they chose to order a complete new hub for my car instead of just ordering the piece necessary.
If I get nowhere with him, then I will contact regional.

F) -- I won!!!
We argued back and forth for 45 minutes. I kept telling him that they put the wrong part number in the computer, and they kept insisting that they were not and that I did not understand how the parts are ordered. They ended up bringing everybody into the office that even touched my car that day to try to figure out what part number should actually be entered. Finally the manager who is charge of all the technicians in the garage came in and asked what the problem. So for about the 10th time I had to tell my story again. He asked all the others what part number they were putting in the computer? He looked at them all and said "well, that explains it, you are putting the wrong part number in". I just looked at him and said "Finally, somebody who knows what the heck he is doing." He walked over to put the number in the computer and the computer answered "Part covered". Hooray!! They all were putting the incorrect number 5B716 (knuckle and Hub) into the computer, when in fact the correct number is 1244 (bearings). Their excuse was once again: "We see very little Thunderbirds in this dealership and we have never had this issue arise before".

I hope this helps. BTW, the money was refunded🙂

warranty denial

The reason dealership shops try so hard to get work done outside of warranty coverage, when actually the work should be covered, is $. All shops use a "labor charge book". They look up a repair, see the "approximate # hr.s it takes, and there is the charge. Most jobs take half the time the book states, but they bill the book price. Warranty providers know about the over-estimated charge and only will pay approx. half that amt. I learned about this when I had a Taurus cooling system worked on. They billed me 5 hr.s, and only had the car 3. Thats when they told me about the book. I payed the 3 hr.s and dared them to sue for the other 2. That was 5 yr.s ago, and I haven't heard another word about it.

These dealers are something.
My wife has an '02 Seville. Kept using oil between changes at 75,000 miles. Selling dealer says GM says 2 quarts between oil changes, 3000 mile, is normal. Been going on for a while.
I start going to different caddy dealer for service and tell him uses oil between changes.
He says next time "service soon" message comes on bring it in. I do, needs 2.5 quarts with 2138 miles since oil chnage. He says, rings and pistons under warranty. Car has 86,000 miles on 100,000 warranty and I have found a great dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back