Trunk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
F
I have been planning a long trip with the '02 Bird for about three weeks.
I will be going to Boise to visit relatives and friends.
Last week I pulled the spare tire out of the trunk. If you haven't yet you should take a peek. IT'S HUGE! The spare is about 80% full size wheel and the space it rests in is very large.
My question, does anyone know a luggage company that can produce a custom piece of travel gear to utilize this space?

Paula B: You drove a fantastic trip on Route 66, thanks for the great stories and photos.
Would you have liked this spare tire space for luggage?

I have traveled many miles out of town without a tire problem. The new Bird has the roadside service for the first three years and would others trade the space for a set of custom travel bags. Any thoughts?

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

Captain, there's no question that I would have LOVED to have more luggage space on my trip. The car was stuffed to the max, we couldn't see out the back window, and it took an Act of Congress to pack and unpack each night. I should mention, though, that we did have the hardtop rack and the boot in the trunk with us, although they actually don't take up much space.

Of course, on the other hand, on a trip like that we certainly wanted to have the spare tire with us...

Thanks Paula and Birdman

I will call and see if the Boise area has a bird for on-site measurements. Otherwise, I will send Buck's Bags the measurements and pictures from my Bird and see it they can sew something up.

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

When we went on our trip to NC in October, I took the top rack along. We have an American Tourister bag that fits perfectly in the rack when the rack is stored with the wheels up. I will try and remember to get the model number for it.

BIRDMAN93,

**** could probably clean up on luggage idea. The idea of how to pack for Thunder on 66 has crossed my mind. What a marketing idea, luggage to go along for Thunder on 66, of course, it would have the proper markings on it also, ****--Thunder on 66. It too would become a classic. Count me in!

FDCaptain:

My wife & I take a 10 day trip every year in our Z3, and we have found the key to getting lots of stuff into a small irregular trunk is to pack lots of small bags instead of a big Pullman or garment bag.

For instance, we pack the shirts & pants into a hanging bag that's like a garment bag only much thinner. I think they're used for storing clothes in a closet, Rose got them in a department store somewhere. Then we put underwear socks and shorts into a couple of little bags we got for subscribing to a computer magazine. Finally a Dopp kit for toiletries and we're good to go.

For the last trip we got enough clothing for 10 days, a small laptop, 2 digital cameras, car washing supplies (including the wonderful REI folding bucket - see rei.com), presents for the little girls we visited - 2 dolls, one of those FAO Schwartz pianos that you jump on, and a Madam Alexander doll in the box, 2 cell phones, a walkie talkie, assorted batteries and chargers, and the tonneau cover into the Z3's trunk. Now I have to admit it fit one and only one way, but we did do it.

The TBird trunk is considerably bigger, plus you have the area behind the seats. I think with some ingenuity you can bring a lot more than you think.

If you do get something custom made at Buck's Bags let me know, I might be interested also.

Best of luck, have fun. I'll be joining you SOON, just got my delivery date - 12/31/01!!

Tom M.

FDCaptain:

PS if you take the spare out try getting a portable pump and tire plug kit from Griot's Garage (griotsgarage.com).

They are pricey but small & excellent. I patched a tire with the kit and it did not lose a breath of air in 200 miles.

Tom M.

Thanks for all your great ideas.

I was thinking within the box and only for a piece or pieces for the spare tire well and the boot area under the soft top.

I have heard of the specialty luggage that some other high dollar cars come with and an entire set of bags would be an asset.

I found the link to Birdmans suggestion www.bucksbags.com and have used Tom M's www.griotsgarage.com in the past.

Thanks for the ideas, any more?

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

FD-Let me know what they say about the luggage for the spare tire area-**** is really interested in the idea, and we may expand the idea to cover other model years.

Thunderbird owners are the greatest people! Where else would we have come up with an idea and finished with a product made for Thunderbird lovers?

-----------------

FD Captain,

Just for your information. Up until 2 years ago I worked for a Ford Dealership Service Department as a Service Advisor. You made mention of taking the spare tire out of the well and if you have a flat you are covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles by Ford's Roadside Assistance. It is true that we all have the Roadside Assistance, but if you call in with a flat tire they will send someone out to install your spare for you. They do not fix flats on the side of the road or mount new tires. So if you run into this situation of having a flat your only choice will be to have the car towed to a tire shop or dealer. If your out in the middle of nowhere, the Roadside Assistance only pays to tow the vehicle 50 miles (100 miles round trip). If its 92 miles to the nearest establishment that can repair the tire then you will have to pay for the 42 additional miles - "both ways" as the tow truck charges for round trip. I like your idea, but just wanted to clarify the Roadside Assistance Program.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Thanks Lon,
Your post will save me a call if I have a tire problem. The tire technology and our Freeways are in pretty good shape. Yet a catastrophic tire problem could occur.
I have always had a spare tire on many thousands of miles out of metro Denver.

In 1997 and 2000 I took the spare out of a large '91 Caddy to accomodate luggage.
The cell phones were checked and off we went.

In the end it may be better to have a piece of luggage designed to dovetail into the void created behind the seats with the soft top up (sans hardtop).

I have always traveled in my '56 without the hardtop for that reason. The extra space behind the seat gave us all the room needed not given us in the trunk.

With all the good suggestions from this board, the people at Buck's bags have many options to work with.

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

I have not heard about Rental care. Is it available at all dealers? I am a little surprised that my dealer didn't mention it when I bought the ESP Plan. I presume that it is not part of the usual ESP Plan. Right?

Not sure if I remember the names of all the ESP plans correctly. This is what I believe them to be;

ESP Premium Care
ESP Extra Care
ESP Base Care
ESP Maintenance Care
ESP Rental Care

All ESP plans have rental coverage. Esp Rental Care is for Rental Coverage only. Up to 5 days rental per incident. Vehicle must have to stay overnight at dealership due to length of job requiring overnight stay or parts having to be ordered. Bringing a car in before closing time for a half hour job is not considered an overnight stay caused by the job or lack of parts and does not qualify for rental coverage.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Thanks Lon,

You answered my question. Mine is going in tonight for a replacement steering wheel due to a scracth when I got it. Covered under warranty, but I guess I can't hit Ford for a rental as it was my choice to leave it overnight.

As usual, you guys are terrific.

Has anyone thought of a trunk lid luggage rack.

With the lid made in plastic, it would have to be a large frame to distribute the weight without popping the paint off during flexing.

This would save the spare tire and create a custom bag for the outside of the car.

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

I like the idea of a 'set' of different size bags ( with the club decals of course). It helps to pack in smaller bags on the Motorcycle, so it would work with this limited space, I think. Joy

Joy-thanks for reminding me of that-might have to get a bunch of the club patches, and a special patch for the Route 66 trip, made, and have Buck's attach these to the bags they make.

------------------

Birdman- I have sent two emails and have not heard from Buck's yet.
I will call them next week if they don't respond to emails.

What are the dates for "Thunder-on-66"?

Thanks
FD

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

We all meet in Chicago on the 13th of August, 2002-the run goes from the 14th through the 21st.

You live in Denver, Right, FD? I have two gentlemen who will bedriving their 64 classics down-maybe I can hook you up with them-they are planning on meeting the Group in Amarillo or Adrian.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back