Trunk space

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I had a flat and the wheel/tire wouldn't fit into the trunk properly. This was a problem becasue I had a passenger and golf clubs in the trunk. Ford was of no help and told me that I shouldn't expect trunk space in a "sports car and that NO sports car allowed the original wheel to fit!

Additionally, replacement tires are only "special order" from any tire store (including the dealer).

I guess trips are out of the question!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by Wolf:
Ford was of no help and told me that I shouldn't expect trunk space in a "sports car and that NO sports car allowed the original wheel to fit!

Did you call free roadside assistance or change it yourself?

------------------
Tbird

I called Michelin about run flats and they told me they didn't make a size that would work. The Ford engineers told me the same thing. I'll check again. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I did have roadside assistance change it . . they couldn't get it in either!

Originally posted by Wolf:
... Ford was of no help and told me that I shouldn't expect trunk space in a "sports car and that NO sports car allowed the original wheel to fit!

The original t-birds were able to fit their original wheels in the trunk. In fact they had more than double the space that the new t-birds have in the trunk. It didn't become a problem until the manufacturers started making "space saving" spares. Guess we have to tie the trunks down now when that happens.

Actually . . .I don't intend to "tie the trunk down" or put up with the BS from Ford. I have submitted for arbitration with the intent of having Ford provide "run f;at." If that doesn't work I plan to make the issue very, very public.

Good luck Wolf, but I seriously doubt anything will come of this as there are many cars with the same problem. Remember, these are niche market cars and as such, little things will be quirky. My advice, enjoy the car for what it is and don't sweat the small stuff. After all, how many flats do you expect during the lifetime of ownership?

Dear Wolf,

I agree with DavidA. I have owned a few convertibles in the past and they all have quirks that make them somewhat hard to live with. This is what makes them special. If the T-Bird you desire has room in the trunk for tires and luggage and everyone starts asking Ford to build a T-Bird that has more room, then in few years Ford will once again start to build the T-Bird for masses as it started doing after the original 55-57 T-Birds. I for one would rather live with the quirks and drive a car that inspires passion than drive the last T-Bird of 1997 that has what you are asking for. The 1997 was a great car: 4.6 V8, Room for four or five, Independant Rear Supension, etc. My wife had one when I met her. I sold it when we married for the Acura. It did not move me the way the 55-57 and 2002 does. Lets congratulate Ford for building the 2002 Motor Trend Car of the Year and hope they keep it up.

Wolf, I suggest you buckle up and enjoy the ride.

As for the solution on your tires. If noone makes the runflat, they will in time be patient or start looking for the aftermarket to make a continental package for the car.

Sincerely,

------------------
Paul
02 T-Bird Yellow
95 Bronco
85 Mustang GT Conv't
01 Acura 3.2 TL
99 Honda VFR Interceptor

PaulH -- I was right there with you ALL THE WAY until you mentioned a continental kit -- lol. Can you really imagine this car with a continental kit? YUCK!!!!! Seriously though, this car is as close to a homerun as a mass production automobile can get. The nitpicks are few and the grins are many. Enjoy what you have everyone!

What riles me about Wolf's predicament is that "Ford" called the car a "sports car" - something they have tried to avoid in advertising & dealing with the press as they are trying to keep the car from being compared with the "sport cars" on the road.

and now it's a "sports car" because it's trunk is too small? have a heyday with that one, Press!
smile.gif

-

Remember, that comment came from a rep. Ford has never officially called it a sports car. Is there an official descriptive word for his car that Ford actually uses or has used?

David, it is a "Personal Luxury" vehicle with "Nudo" leather-trimmed seats.

I wonder how many "Nudo's" gave their all to cover the seats in 25,000 Thunderbirds???

tongue.gif
RedBirdDlx, Just what is a Nudo? Is this just another name for a cow and maybe the way they process the leather.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

-

-

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
DavidA ( The Truth Is Out There!! )WE will find out. I now have a call into Fox Mulder
tongue.gif

I can't tell you his email address but it is out there somewhere.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

-

-

-

Wolf,

I was worried about having a flat while traveling so I took off a wheel to see if it would fit in the trunk. It does fit in the spare tire well with room to spare! The trick is to remove the jack from the well and then put the wheel in shinny side up between the post and the rear trim piece first. It's a snug fit but with a little pressure, it goes right in and then easily lays flat. You have to leave the jack loose in the trunk until the spare is replaced. By the way, the spare wheel is aluminum and very light.

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq. #7505
partial blue premium, no top

Wow, now I feel like a complete "Nudo" that I didn't try it myself.
KYbluebird - Thanks (I still learn something here everyday)

"I live with fear everyday - but occasionally I leave her and go racing"

Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back