Transmission shifting problems 1964 thunderbird 2 door hardtop | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Transmission shifting problems 1964 thunderbird 2 door hardtop

• Thread starter Thread starter Dillon Anderson
  • Start date Start date
D

Dillon Anderson

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hello I just got done putting new head gaskets on 1964 thunderbird. When doing this I had to take almost everything off the engine. Now that I got it running it will not shift until about 40 to 45 mph I don't think its the transmission itself because it worked perfectly fine before I took the engine apart. I was wondering if there was anything that may be causing it to shift at a higher speed then normal. I have notice that my kickdown linkage my not be set correctly but would that cause it to shift that late. I thought that was only when you have high throttle like when your trying to pass. Just wonder if anything else controls when it is supposed to shift.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello I just got done putting new head gaskets on 1964 thunderbird. When doing this I had to take almost everything off the engine. Now that I got it running it will not shift until about 40 to 45 mph I don't think its the transmission itself because it worked perfectly fine before I took the engine apart. I was wondering if there was anything that may be causing it to shift at a higher speed then normal. I have notice that my kickdown linkage my not be set correctly but would that cause it to shift that late. I thought that was only when you have high throttle like when your trying to pass. Just wonder if anything else controls when it is supposed to shift.
Check your vacumum linesw. Either the line came off the modulator or not hooked up.

Back