1964 transmission only goes into neutral & low

stacks-55
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, I purchased my 1964 thunderbird a few months back. The car needed some work but everything worked fine. I recently had to replace my exhaust manifolds due to a large crack in one of them causing a leak. After everything was replaced and new exhaust was hooked up, I went to take it around the block only to find out I only have neutral and low/1st. The column shift does have slop but the linkage does work and will move the arm attached to the transmission. The transmission does have enough fluid. I was looking around on the forums and people with transmission issues were told to look at the neutral safety switch but the symptoms they have don't completely match up with mine. Side note, when replacing the exhaust a lot was moved around and something could have easily come undone/disconnected that I am just missing. Thank you for the help.

Thanks,
Mike

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello, I purchased my 1964 thunderbird a few months back. The car needed some work but everything worked fine. I recently had to replace my exhaust manifolds due to a large crack in one of them causing a leak. After everything was replaced and new exhaust was hooked up, I went to take it around the block only to find out I only have neutral and low/1st. The column shift does have slop but the linkage does work and will move the arm attached to the transmission. The transmission does have enough fluid. I was looking around on the forums and people with transmission issues were told to look at the neutral safety switch but the symptoms they have don't completely match up with mine. Side note, when replacing the exhaust a lot was moved around and something could have easily come undone/disconnected that I am just missing. Thank you for the help.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi, your symptoms sound like what happens when the vacuum hose to the transmission doesn’t get reattached. Good luck

Hi, your symptoms sound like what happens when the vacuum hose to the transmission doesn’t get reattached. Good luck
Is it the hose that attaches to the back of the transmission? Is there only one vacuum hose? I ran it without the hose before I knew one was off but found the hose and attached it the yesterday but I still have the same problem.

Is it the hose that attaches to the back of the transmission? Is there only one vacuum hose? I ran it without the hose before I knew one was off but found the hose and attached it the yesterday but I still have the same problem.
On my 63 it is on the drivers side. A metal tube comes up the fire wall to the side of the brake booster. The hose from there connects to a block at the rear area of the intake, where your booster connects to for its vacuum. Hope this helps

Check the rod from the column under the hood and the linkage on the trans Mack sure the rubber grommet are there and in the right position I am not sure on yours but some have a bar that goes from the side of the trans to the frame area and if it pops out you will not get full movement on linkage down at the trans

Thanks,
Mike
The front ba

Thanks,
Mike
The front band is broken. It can be replaced with out removing the transmission

Front band on the transmission? I will have to look into that as well. I have not had a chance mess with it this week. I'm going to try fix it this weekend.

On my 63 it is on the drivers side. A metal tube comes up the fire wall to the side of the brake booster. The hose from there connects to a block at the rear area of the intake, where your booster connects to for its vacuum. Hope this helps
On your ‘64, that metal vacuum line runs from intake manifold (behind carb) to the back of the transmission. Also, the transmission shift linkage is very close to exhaust pipes/exhaust manifold on drivers side. Maybe you disturbed it/moved it/damaged it when doing your work.

On your ‘64, that metal vacuum line runs from intake manifold (behind carb) to the back of the transmission. Also, the transmission shift linkage is very close to exhaust pipes/exhaust manifold on drivers side. Maybe you disturbed it/moved it/damaged it when doing your work.
I've checked the linkage with the car on stands and someone manually putting it into gear while I was watching it move as we went from gear to gear. The linkage seems to be fine. I do have a metal pipe on the passenger side of the transmission that broke off and I have no clue what it would go too. Last weekend I dropped the pan and inspected what I could and everything seemed in order. Below is a picture of the tube that broke off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129_173005_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_173005_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 6
Back