Transmission Leaking | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Transmission Leaking

• Thread starter Thread starter densbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

densbird

Supporting Contributor
Reaction score
I Need Some Advice. My Friends Told Me I Should Replace All The Fluids In My O2 Bird Since It Sits In The Garage Most Of The Year. I Have 19k On It And Have Owned It Since New.

Took Their Advice And Now 2 Weeks Later Noticed A Puddle Of Trans Fluid In My Garage. Brought It Back And The Repair Shop (sts) Pulled Some Detail On Checking The Trans And Ran A Test Whereby We Started The Car And Opened A Small Bolt On Bottom Of Trans. It Is Supposed To Drain And When The Draining Stops, Trans Is Full. Well It Drained For Several Minutes When The Mechanic Finally Felt This Is Not Working Or The Trans Is Way Overfilled. In Any Event Took Car Home, About 2 Miles From Shop And Several Hours Later Noticed Another Large Puddle. The Fluid Is Coming Thru A Grommet In Front Of The Trans. I Understand The Seal Is In That Case. Anyone Have Any Experience With This Type Of Problem.

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Densbird:
Probably not good advice. I have a 2002 with 15,000 miles and everythings fine. I will stick with the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

Check your owners manual I believe you'll find it says 150,000 miles, change transmission fluid.
If you took it to a Ford dealer for this service, you should return with manual in hand and show them. They should have said no, you don't need this service. A responsible dealer will probably fix it at no charge.
If an independant service center, I doubt they will help, but I hope they do.

Transmission

I think you should re-read your maintenance schedule.

Trans fluid is recommended to be changed ever 30k, not 150k.

In any event, the Ford Dealer and outside service companies confirm this information. My trans was overfilled, the manuel was incorrect with the amount of fluid to replace. The trans is made with a overfill drain and that is what's going on with mine. The dripping has almost stopped and should be fine after a little more driving.

Den: I was just was trying to help. In fact, as in post #1, I still think your friends gave wrong advice, "changing all fluids because it sits"
Now look at the manual and then ask your dealer what applies to you. The 30,000 specifically mentions AX4S, AF50N, 4R100 & 4F27E. And this holds true for 60k,90k & 120k too. However, under the 150,000 it is not that specific, indicating to me that this is the time for the TBird. BTW, I had verified this with other owners before I posted:

150,000 miles
❑ Change engine oil and replace oil filter.
❑ Inspect tires for wear and rotate.
❑ Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake
lines & hoses, and parking brake system.
❑ Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise.
❑ Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.
❑ Change Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant
(see exceptions page 46 and record page 48).
❑ Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
❑ Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension
and, if equipped, half shafts, driveshaft and
U-joints.
❑ Replace engine air filter (except Focus, see
below).
❑ Check air filter restriction gauge, replace filter as
required (Focus only).
❑ Replace fuel filter (see page 47).
❑ Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
❑ Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid(except CVT).
❑ Change automatic transaxle filter (except CVT,
Five Hundred and Montego equipped with
6-speed automatic transaxle).
❑ Change rear axle lubricant on all rear wheel
drive (RWD) vehicles (see pages 42 and
46).
❑ Replace accessory drive belt(s) (if not replaced
within last 100,000 miles).
❑ Replace climate-controlled seat filters if equipped
(LS and Monterey).
❑ Multi-point inspection (recommended)

Previous to the 150,000 mile mark, this is what is said about changing transmission fluid:Quote:
❑ Change automatic transaxle fluid on all vehicles
equipped with 4F50N or 4F27E. Inspect
automatic transmission/transaxle fluid level on
all other vehicles, if equipped with
dipstick.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT SAYS; "Consult your dealer for your particular
requirements." That's what I'll do at my next service

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back