Tonneau Cover High Speed Stability 2002

350xfire
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just curious: how d the factory covers hold up to high speed driving? 4 snappy thingies don't seem to strong to hold the thing down... Anyone had theirs fly away? Here are some pics with it on.

And yes, I hate that crease from being folded for 18 years. What is the inside of this thing made of? Cardboard?
Thanks
tonneau 1.jpgtonneau 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I updated your title to summarize your post.

If you have the 2002 version boot, I believe the hard inside part of it is a one piece plastic. I keep mine laying flat when not in use to prevent creasing. It is not very 'storage friendly'. I made a cardboard sleeve to store it in. I have both and the 2003+ version is better for storing, folds and fits in the trunk. The 2002 has a better look. They seem to stay in place well. If you have concerns, you could add some additional snaps or a safety strap.

Drove it on the highway today to about 70mph... It stayed in place. SO I guess it's good. Those 6 snaps don't seem very strong and I figured the wind would get under the cover and blow it out but it didn't so we are good.
Thanks

That looks like the 2003-5 boot to my eyes. The edges on the sides are meant to be tucked under the side panels.

I have the 2002 version of the hard boot with the 6 snaps.. IMHO, I am surprised it hasn't flown off the back while on the highway doing 65+ mph.. I look in the side rear view mirrors and i can see the edgers along the side catching air and bobbing up and down.. I sit there and think man, I hope it hangs in there and it does.. All 6 snaps are always secure.. It just looks like air is getting under it and I bet at 80 MPH or some other given velocity, (just guessing) i can see it flying off the rear deck in my rear view mirror.. So far anything under 70 mph It's been somewhat stable but with the flexing on the sides..

I have folded mine as I think they are designed to fold in half.. There is a snap installed to keep it folded.. BUT I think the fold is one of the reasons for the flapping on the sides at highway speeds, i think if it layed completely flat I think it would be taking in less air under the boot as you drove,,

LOL I just thought maybe like a surfboard or a pair of snow skis we need to have a theater installed on it and tied to our ankle or wrist so as we see it in our rear view mirror, lift off and fly off the back of the trunk, we can just haul it back in with the rope.. Nothing but class here! ;)

I have the 2002 version of the hard boot with the 6 snaps.. IMHO, I am surprised it hasn't flown off the back while on the highway doing 65+ mph.. I look in the side rear view mirrors and i can see the edgers along the side catching air and bobbing up and down.. I sit there and think man, I hope it hangs in there and it does.. All 6 snaps are always secure.. It just looks like air is getting under it and I bet at 80 MPH or some other given velocity, (just guessing) i can see it flying off the rear deck in my rear view mirror.. So far anything under 70 mph It's been somewhat stable but with the flexing on the sides..

I have folded mine as I think they are designed to fold in half.. There is a snap installed to keep it folded.. BUT I think the fold is one of the reasons for the flapping on the sides at highway speeds, i think if it layed completely flat I think it would be taking in less air under the boot as you drove,,

LOL I just thought maybe like a surfboard or a pair of snow skis we need to have a theater installed on it and tied to our ankle or wrist so as we see it in our rear view mirror, lift off and fly off the back of the trunk, we can just haul it back in with the rope.. Nothing but class here! ;)

Lol... I got it up to about 70mph this morning on my way to work and, like you, I kept looking back. When I got to work I was amazed all 6 snaps were still secured! I guess they do stay in place. I would rather see something more mechanical like some type of fastener you twist on or lock on but I guess it works as-is... Thanks

Drove it on the highway today to about 70mph... It stayed in place. SO I guess it's good. Those 6 snaps don't seem very strong and I figured the wind would get under the cover and blow it out but it didn't so we are good.
Thanks

BTW is it 4 or 6 snaps? I still have our hardtop on and can't just look... Perhaps by Memorial Day I will go topless.. Our weather been so crappy in Central NY this spring..

Thanks I will see if I can tuck in. It did not feel like it should be...

Yes 6, I misspoke on my first post.
Thanks I will see if I can tuck in. It did not feel like it should be...

Yes 6, I misspoke on my first post.

Now my 2002 boot that is the hard type does not tuck under the sides.. It just tucks under the back lip of the trunk. It seems the part that reaches the side panels of rear 1/4 panels just floats on top of the panel.. BTW I always thought there should of been one more snap in the middle...

Speaking of tonneau covers...does anyone have an aftermarket fiberglass one? Do you like it? Did you have to have it painted? The one or two I saw online looked great but if caught in a storm - not so good.

Speaking of tonneau covers...does anyone have an aftermarket fiberglass one? Do you like it? Did you have to have it painted? The one or two I saw online looked great but if caught in a storm - not so good.
There’s one that is two piece and supposedly fits in the trunk. Plan on painting unless you get used from the same color car.

I also have the two piece hard cover. It will fit in the trunk, just barely. Found it on Ebay, last fall, already painted.

10343_2572d7487fdeb1ddd8ddec4028f57968.jpg

Hey Ghost--show me how you got those tonneau covers to fit in the trunk! I have them and havent been able to figure out how to fit them in! o_O

Is that a chrome piece under the edge of the cover where the hardtop rubs? Is that still available? I have some damage from the hardtop I would like to cover up and prevent.
Thanks
See the link. Not sure this is exactly the one I got but found it on Ebay. Double side stick on type.

Back