tires | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

tires

• Thread starter Thread starter ddmfone1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think it's individual choice. As you know, Michelin's are original, but then you have other choices:
Continental's but the one rated V
Pilots
Coker is coming up with a whitewall for the Birds, if you're not in a hurry
Vouges are a bit pricey but a great looking tire
and then there's a Yokohama YK 520 which is a wider low profile tire.

I had the same question about good replacement tires. I have been considering the Yokohama Advan as a replacement tire for my 2002 Thunderbird. I am looking for a more performance oriented tire than the Michelin. Moreover, I like the rim protector for the chrome wheels on the premium edition. This feature is missing on the OEM tire.

Here's some info I gathered:
"Eagle F1
Goodyear's Leading Ultra High-Performance Tire. Crafted In Europe.
The ultimate traction and handling in a European-designed ultra high-performance tire that features Goodyear''s premier performance technology. A great choice for ultra high-performance driving enthusiasts
Three integrated tread zones
Help maximize traction and handling for superb grip with a sleek Euro-designed appearance
V-TredTM technology
Helps provide exceptional wet traction and quiet ride
AAtraxTM tread compound provides "AA" wet traction rating
The highest level government rating for wet traction in the industry, without sacrificing treadwear
Rim flange protector *****************IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT??
Helps protect expensive wheels in accidents
Tire Size Service Description Sidewall Approved Rim Width Meas. Rim Width Section Width Outside Diameter Tread Width Max Load
235/50ZR17 96Y VSB 6.5 - 8.5 7.50 9.6 26.3 8.2 1,565 @ 51

More info:
The Goodyear Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology is a tire for Performance Touring drivers who desire crisp maneuverability and handling without sacrificing a smooth, quiet ride. The outer sidewall is reinforced with Carbon Fiber cords that stiffen the sidewall and help deliver a better feel for the road, while an InsuLayerTM made with DuPontTM KEVLAR® helps absorb road noise and vibration.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
Carbon Fiber reinforced sidewall
Stiffens the outer sidewall to help keep more rubber on the road for enhanced cornering and maneuverability
InsuLayerTM made with DuPontTM KEVLAR®
Helps absorb road noise and lessens vibration from road imperfections for a smooth, quiet ride Aggressive, Asymmetric Tread Design
All-season capabilities for enhanced traction and cornering. A sporty appearance including "Goodyear Eagle" identification in tread grooves
Low Profile Sidewall Stylish, high-performance look Rim Flange Protector
Helps protect against wheel damage from accidental contact with curb
Eagle Performance Package
Satisfaction and peace of mind
H & V-speed rated ONLY have 50,000 mile tread life limited warranty
Tire SizeService DescriptionSidewallApproved Rim Width Meas. Rim Width Section Width Outside Diameter Tread Width Max Load
Tire size 235/50R17
Service description 96V
Siude wall VSB
Approved rim width 6.5 - 8.5
Meas. rim width 7.50
Section width 9.7
Outside dia.26.3
Tire width 8.2
Max load 1,565 @ 51 "
I'm not sure whaty all this means but hope it helps

Finally, from another TBird owner:
Another owners response to tires, "Four Michelin Pilot Alpine winter performance tires mounted on alloy rims. 215/60HR16. Used them this past winter on my '03 Tbird. Got around great in a couple of nasty PA snow storms. Less than 4,000 miles on them. Got them from Tire Rack.
Downsize fit makes overall diameter the same as original size. $395.00 plus shipping. "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back