Thunderbirds' Most Opposite Car Ever Made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we have the thread going on another post for the "one word description" of the new Thunderbird, I thought that I would start another thought-provoking post for the one car (new or old) that you think would be considered the MOST OPPOSITE car ever made to what the new Thunderbird is today? Any thoughts? Remember, this is the car that is totally opposite to how we all view the new Thunderbird!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

So many from which to choose.....Vega. Any GM X-car. How about the German Isetta with the door in the front of the car??? Looked a lot like a cuttlefish.

No doubt in my mind.....the Pontiac Aztec, the total example of how clueless GM is.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue prem
Vin 16050;Rotation 5856
Delivered 4/29

the thing!
biggrin.gif

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

Guess I'll have to go back a few years and pick the American made Crosley. Three speed transmission, no power, sliding windows, really a tin can. I thought they were cute when I had a 1940 convertible and 1950 station wagon. Course the price new was about 500 bucks.
Hobobob
Blue/White premium

I like my pick just fine for what it is, but I'm placing it opposite the T-Bird for the following reasons:
- Unlike the T-Bird, it was strictly utilitarian. Its seats could come out, and its big canvas roof could slide back so that tall objects like armoirs could be transported.
- Its stated competition was not any other automobile, but the farmer's horse and cart, thus it was way at the opposite end of the automotive food-chain from the T-Bird.
- Styling: It looked like it was cobbled up by the village tinsmith during an early LSD experiment.

I'm talking about the beloved Citroen 2CV - the French "attitude" on wheels.

This will probably be VERY unpopular with some here so I'll point out some opposites.

Thunderbird Versus Volkswagon Beetle:

VW is powered by a 4 cylinder low horsepower air cooled rear engine
Tbird is powered by a front engine 252 horse V8 that is liquid cooled

VW has a very sparse plain no frills interior
Tbird has most of the luxury car bells and whistles

VW uses regular gas and gets very good MPG
Tbird uses premium gas and get average MPG

VW rides like a goat wagon
Tbird has a luxury car ride

VW's top speed was around 70 MPH
Tbird's is about double that

VW is a daily grind commuter basic transportation
Tbird is a mood improving, special trips experience (and some will use it as their daily commuter. Lucky dawgs!!)

VW looks like a bug hence it's nickname
Tbird looks like a work of art

VW was priced and marketed for the masses
Tbird is priced and marketed as a niche car

I too considered saying the Yugo but upon further thought i don't think it even qualifies as a real car!!!

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

Without a doubt, the MOST OPPOSITE Tbird car ever made was the first car I ever owned; a 1951 Henry J.

Nothing could be more basic, more spartan, than the Henry J. But you know what? I bought that car when it was five years old with the money I earned between my sophomore and junior HS years ($125). My friend Jim and I rebuilt the engine, transmission (more than once), reupholstered the interior and repainted the exterior. We installed a glass pack muffler and a six foot high whip antenna on the rear quarter panel because it looked cool, and to watch passing (yes this is true) cars slow down. After we got it running good we built a DC to AC inverter just so we could record live "peel outs" on my real to real tape deck.

I really love Venus (you can tell by the perpetual SEG), but it may be awhile before the fun per mile factor catches up.

Ironically, I bought the Henry J in 1956 at the peak of my "oh God, I'd kill for a Thunderbird" years.

------------------
Charlie
VENUS, a Blue/Blue Premium w/full accent.
VIN 12778

-

1997 Ford Thunderbird. What could be more opposite than the car that ended the forty-two year continuous production of the nameplate? Who knew it end would mean the new beginning you the original T-Bird (55-57). When was the last time the country was this excited about the T-Bird or any other car, and at this price?

Originally posted by PaulH:
I guess I should proof read my post before sending them.

PaulH, there's an "edit" icon above each reply. The icon with the little pencil. Makes it easy to correct anything you want corrected on your messages.

2002 Thunderbird VS 1960 Ford Country Squire 9 passenger station wagon. In high school during the mid sixties, that was the "car" that dad let me drive. You can imagine all of the grieve I got from the other guys. Even Tim Madru, wherever you are, could not call my new Ford doggy.

------------------
2002 blue/blue/full blue
2001 Toyota Highlander
1990 Acura Integra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back