Thunder therapy is good for the soul

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
64ZCODE

64ZCODE

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all.

This thread is about the therapeutic benefits of owning a TBird.

I came to TBird ownership relatively late in life, buying my ’64 just last year. But I should mention that my favorite slot car back in the day was a square bird with big slicks on the back that was the terror of the local track.

TBirds are cool and a joy to share with others. One time I was parked in my TBird in front of an auto parts store and a nice lady stopped her car to reminisce with me about her high school boyfriend who owned a TBird and how much she missed the car, but not the boyfriend. What better way is there to meet nice ladies and connect with our fellow human beings than with a TBird?

And the community of people that own TBirds is really cool and like a warm hug. Some of you will know that I’m also into Mustangs and Galaxies, and I participate in online forums for those cars. I have to tell you that far and away, TBird forums are my favorite. A great group of people, helpless in their common addiction to these cars and trying together to get on top of the never-ending list of issues that plague us owners. Truly, we are foxhole buddies and enjoy that bond that comes from being under fire and overcoming incredible odds.

Yes, for those of us on the shady side of half a bubble off of plumb, TBird ownership can greatly reduce the costs of therapy and is fairly affordable, all things considered. My wife likes to say that by TBird habit is cheaper than another woman. I’m not sure what she means by that, but she’s usually right, so I’m going to continue with my thunder therapy as long as I can.

Happy Thunderbirding!

Doug

I don't know; I'm pretty stressed out over mine right now. Boiled over again, this will be the 12th visit for anti-freeze leaks this year. I'm renaming the car Green River, and forget about mechanics, this time I'm calling a plumber.

The mark of a great therapist, we keep going back for more even if it sucks

Hi all.

This thread is about the therapeutic benefits of owning a TBird.

I came to TBird ownership relatively late in life, buying my ’64 just last year. But I should mention that my favorite slot car back in the day was a square bird with big slicks on the back that was the terror of the local track.

TBirds are cool and a joy to share with others. One time I was parked in my TBird in front of an auto parts store and a nice lady stopped her car to reminisce with me about her high school boyfriend who owned a TBird and how much she missed the car, but not the boyfriend. What better way is there to meet nice ladies and connect with our fellow human beings than with a TBird?

And the community of people that own TBirds is really cool and like a warm hug. Some of you will know that I’m also into Mustangs and Galaxies, and I participate in online forums for those cars. I have to tell you that far and away, TBird forums are my favorite. A great group of people, helpless in their common addiction to these cars and trying together to get on top of the never-ending list of issues that plague us owners. Truly, we are foxhole buddies and enjoy that bond that comes from being under fire and overcoming incredible odds.

Yes, for those of us on the shady side of half a bubble off of plumb, TBird ownership can greatly reduce the costs of therapy and is fairly affordable, all things considered. My wife likes to say that by TBird habit is cheaper than another woman. I’m not sure what she means by that, but she’s usually right, so I’m going to continue with my thunder therapy as long as I can.

Happy Thunderbirding!

Doug

Hey Doug,
ALL THIS EXACTLY! Today was a doozy - so much going on - I just got time to sit down and type this. My 64 has been a great source of relief for me as of recent. With my mother declining so quickly, and her illness being so insidious in general....not to mention she is almost non-responsive - the car has not only been a dream realized, it also has kept me sane with having to think logically, and brought me to your great group of people! The warm hug is certainly felt and there have been days that I literally have waited for responses to my questions or ideas just so I had a connection with another human being.

The car for me is something I can be proud of. With all the help from all of you - I am basically at the point at passing this silly inspection....something I would have paid tons of money to have someone else do and probably have a hacked up mess. Being on the shady side of the bubble off of plumb myself - working on this car makes me all of the pain go away for a while...the pain of losing my mother to this horrible disease and the pain of watching my father descend into chaos...while my brother needs me as well. While my time with the car has to be segmented up, the time I get to spend is like magic. When I get something right, like today, the brake lights, I feel the joy that I have never felt before.

I have the carb rebuilt now, (hopefully, the car does not blow up lol), and I have pulled the water pump due to a broken ear on it for the power steering pump. I took off the reservoir tank and found that someone had slathered some sort of epoxy on it with thumbprints all in it. Called a local radiator shop - very far and few between - and they said they can fix it. What I am saying is these cars can introduce you to new and different people by sheer force :)

I have overbought on spare parts and need to send some back - its been quite the ride.

I appreciate you guys taking this journey with me!

Well late for me heh... 69 but still T-Bird, but hey it’s never a problem, just another project.

That's one of those things I'll never quite understand about car collecting. Why is it that certain cars are super-desirable while other equally-nice cars get passed by? In the case of the Thunderbirds, you NEVER, EVER see a 1967 or later Bird on a show field, unless it's a newer retro-bird. Those 67-69 models are pretty darned nice cars, but it seems nobody wants to collect them in nearly the same manner as the 1966 and prior models. The standard answer: "That's the year they started offering them with four doors, and no more convertibles." Well, there are a lot of 57 Chevys out there that aren't convertibles, and they were offered with four doors, but it hasn't harmed them any! Then of course the big Birds in general are not nearly as desirable as the little Birds, even though when new the sales quadrupled -- and generated a host of competitors including the Riviera, Monte Carlo, Toronado, Charger, and Cordoba.

About the only Thunderbirds I DON'T care for are the Bunky Birds (70-71) with the big nose that always gets crunched in short order -- what were they thinking? Also the Fox-bodied 80's types, that were glittered-over Fairmonts, many thanks to our big government who ruined almost every car of that era. Even those, like the Packard-bakers, are unique and have their place in history, but don't rise to the classic status of many of the others.

Seems the desirable cars of today are the muscle-cars. The big Birds seem to have all the muscle, but twice the weight, so they would never do well on a strip, but they indeed attract attention on the road and in a car show. I have no plans for racing anyway; just driving.

I kind of like our TBird niche. Let’s just do our own thing, guys, while the investors and flippers roil the classic car market and drive up the prices.

Much more therapeutic to be us, methinks!

I kind of like our TBird niche. Let’s just do our own thing, guys, while the investors and flippers roil the classic car market and drive up the prices.

Much more therapeutic to be us, methinks!

There's a lot to be said in that. No, I didn't buy my car originally to flip it, or because of any particular value, but because it's the car I wanted.

Just like today, we all have different personalities and needs. While someone has his eyes on a new Corvette, most of us wouldn't want one, if for no other reason than it's impractical. Some want economy, others want style, some would never consider a foreign make while others will ONLY buy them. It's the same with collector cars. About 90% of the cars in a show field -- boy they're nice, but I wouldn't want one. I have several friends who love and collect everything Volkswagen -- wonderful people but it's not exactly my favorite kind of car. When I first went out looking, there were three cars that interested me -- a 1964-66 Thunderbird, a 1955-56 Packard, and a 1958-60 Edsel. The latter two are really nice cars that are simply unique, but could be tougher to buy parts for. The T-Bird is the most stylish, and you can find any parts you want as long as you have deep pockets. My biggest mistake was in buying a project to fix up, rather than paying a little more to find one in nicer condition, as the difference is money down the drain and lots of down time.

Another tidbit that's fascinating, I've had my car over 20 years. at the time I bought it, it seems they had "just" disappeared from the roads. These cars had a lot of staying power, where people bought them and kept them far longer than most other models. To this day there are plenty around -- seems everybody and his brother have one sitting behind the garage, or in a barn, as some sort of future project (I can think of about a dozen of these within a few miles of me!), but you never seem to see them on the roads, and rarely at a car show. There are times I've taken mine to a shop, and they parked it next to three others. So they're not rare, and they're very desirable among the public -- while not so much with the nose-in-the-air collectors. Usually when I see another one in a shop or on the road, mine is much nicer. When I see one at a show, it makes mine look pretty bad.

I think, bottom line, the serious collectors have an issue, as these cars can be a nightmare to restore while not worth as much when finished, so they shy away. Yet, any Bird in nice condition will turn heads, much more than any Mustang or most other models. It would seem only a matter of time before these Birds get "Discovered" and they suddenly become desirable, then Katie bar the door. But when and what? A Movie? Thelma & Louise didn't do it, Flubber didn't do it, American Graffiti DID seem to impact the little birds some, even to this day, but who knows.

Gary, I think you're on to something. Let's start a rumor mill and maybe it will turn into a groundswell of folks that just gotta have a TBird. Then, we can cash in big time!

There's a lot to be said in that. No, I didn't buy my car originally to flip it, or because of any particular value, but because it's the car I wanted.

Just like today, we all have different personalities and needs. While someone has his eyes on a new Corvette, most of us wouldn't want one, if for no other reason than it's impractical. Some want economy, others want style, some would never consider a foreign make while others will ONLY buy them. It's the same with collector cars. About 90% of the cars in a show field -- boy they're nice, but I wouldn't want one. I have several friends who love and collect everything Volkswagen -- wonderful people but it's not exactly my favorite kind of car. When I first went out looking, there were three cars that interested me -- a 1964-66 Thunderbird, a 1955-56 Packard, and a 1958-60 Edsel. The latter two are really nice cars that are simply unique, but could be tougher to buy parts for. The T-Bird is the most stylish, and you can find any parts you want as long as you have deep pockets. My biggest mistake was in buying a project to fix up, rather than paying a little more to find one in nicer condition, as the difference is money down the drain and lots of down time.

Another tidbit that's fascinating, I've had my car over 20 years. at the time I bought it, it seems they had "just" disappeared from the roads. These cars had a lot of staying power, where people bought them and kept them far longer than most other models. To this day there are plenty around -- seems everybody and his brother have one sitting behind the garage, or in a barn, as some sort of future project (I can think of about a dozen of these within a few miles of me!), but you never seem to see them on the roads, and rarely at a car show. There are times I've taken mine to a shop, and they parked it next to three others. So they're not rare, and they're very desirable among the public -- while not so much with the nose-in-the-air collectors. Usually when I see another one in a shop or on the road, mine is much nicer. When I see one at a show, it makes mine look pretty bad.

I think, bottom line, the serious collectors have an issue, as these cars can be a nightmare to restore while not worth as much when finished, so they shy away. Yet, any Bird in nice condition will turn heads, much more than any Mustang or most other models. It would seem only a matter of time before these Birds get "Discovered" and they suddenly become desirable, then Katie bar the door. But when and what? A Movie? Thelma & Louise didn't do it, Flubber didn't do it, American Graffiti DID seem to impact the little birds some, even to this day, but who knows.
Eh... these cars are not too hard to restore. For the most part my biggest trouble would be interior and perhaps mechanical as at some point a previous owner changed the engine, but other than that I have really had no trouble restoring the car. Well... aside from the money part hehe. I think I need to let my wallet and credit card cool off before one burst into flames and the other melts like butter.

Eh... these cars are not too hard to restore. For the most part my biggest trouble would be interior and perhaps mechanical as at some point a previous owner changed the engine, but other than that I have really had no trouble restoring the car. Well... aside from the money part hehe. I think I need to let my wallet and credit card cool off before one burst into flames and the other melts like butter.

Amazon and other retailers are in business right because of this sickness I have for these cars :)

My addiction is now 44 years old. It began with a used 73 that we purchased very early in our marriage. It was mint green with a dark green full vinyl top. We felt like we had arrived. The affair continued even though we started to get Christmas presents from the local Ford service department.

Eight years later it was totaled when someone hit it. We replaced it with a string of new cars. I constantly heard “This is nice, but not like our 73 Tbird” from my bride. After my father died in 2003, I was looking for some fun. I had my eye on some projects but the always wise wife suggested a new retro bird. That’s how I came to buy the new 007. After a few months I started to hear “This is nice, but...” yet again. So the search for another 73 began. I couldn’t find one that I was satisfied with but I did get a very low mileage 75. It’s basically the same except for bumpers and tail lights. No more “This is nice..” from the peanut gallery.

Do I need these cars? Only for my sanity. BTW, I still need therapy.

My addiction is now 44 years old. It began with a used 73 that we purchased very early in our marriage. It was mint green with a dark green full vinyl top. We felt like we had arrived. The affair continued even though we started to get Christmas presents from the local Ford service department.

Eight years later it was totaled when someone hit it. We replaced it with a string of new cars. I constantly heard “This is nice, but not like our 73 Tbird” from my bride. After my father died in 2003, I was looking for some fun. I had my eye on some projects but the always wise wife suggested a new retro bird. That’s how I came to buy the new 007. After a few months I started to hear “This is nice, but...” yet again. So the search for another 73 began. I couldn’t find one that I was satisfied with but I did get a very low mileage 75. It’s basically the same except for bumpers and tail lights. No more “This is nice..” from the peanut gallery.

Do I need these cars? Only for my sanity. BTW, I still need therapy.

Wow, I'd never looked at a '73 before. This car is big and beautiful. What a statement compared to today's cars which seem to be modeled after lima beans. Coming into space dock, Scotty:)

upload_2019-5-21_6-11-40.png

My 1964 hardtop is actually my fourth Thunderbird, but my first "old" one. My first Bird was a red 1988, and in my opinion was a big step upward from the Camaros/Firebirds we've had previously. I guess today the Camaros and Firebirds are the more desirable collector cars, but trust me -- that Bird was a step upward.

Next was a red 1991, and although a nice car, it was a yawner. Nothing special but it was still a nice car. Third was a blue 1994, and although it was essentially the same as the 91, it was a NICE one. I was still driving it when I bought the 64 project, and was amazed at how similar they were to drive. THAT one we kept awhile, and wore it out.

One interesting story about that 94 -- my daughter took it one evening to hang out with friends. About 11pm she called -- "Dad, I'm in Ybor City, your car was making some white smoke and now it won't start!" Hoo boy! So I got the address and called AAA, and I waited at the Ford dealer till well after midnight. Meanwhile my wife whipped out a letter from Ford, saying there's a recall for faulty head gaskets. If the head gasket blows, they will fix it, and related damage, for free, up to 100,000 miles. When the tow truck arrived I checked the odometer -- 99,000 miles! Yup -- it was fixed.

By this time there were no more Birds, but my wife liked the Monte Carlo -- and we bought a new 2000 SS. Piece of crap, but she refused to let go of it -- that is, until I got her into a 2009 Cadillac CTS Performance. Now THAT one is old, and she won't let go. Whatever.

Wow, I'd never looked at a '73 before. This car is big and beautiful. What a statement compared to today's cars which seem to be modeled after lima beans. Coming into space dock, Scotty:)

View attachment 4005

This brings back memories! I had a 76 lipstick edition - 460....I loved that car.

View attachment 4005
From what I’ve read, my 75 is the longest production passenger car built by Ford. The new 5mph bumpers make it longer than a 73. You actually need to take corners a bit earlier than today’s cars. I had to get used to this even though I had owned one in the past.

i had an all white 73 with the matching wide side molding and landau roof with chocolate interior. one of the nicest birds i have owned. just lacked the power of the 68 to 71 thunderjets

Back