Thunder therapy is good for the soul

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Eh... these cars are not too hard to restore. For the most part my biggest trouble would be interior and perhaps mechanical as at some point a previous owner changed the engine, but other than that I have really had no trouble restoring the car. Well... aside from the money part hehe. I think I need to let my wallet and credit card cool off before one burst into flames and the other melts like butter.

This my 1st 64 uncle had one. Retired usmc had heart attack . Sold my Harley and bought . My bird very challenging at times but love when i pull it out the garage. And young kids ask me what kind and what year it is . Keeps me busy focused and relaxed

Thanks Darryl, that's great. I too really enjoy meeting people and talking to them about TBirds. I feel like the caretaker of my '64, not an "owner" per se, so it's like "yeah, this is a really cool car, what would you like to know about it? Have you ever seen a swing away steering wheel?" and so on. I've had so much fun with so many people because of getting this car last year, it's amazing.

Once I was driving south on Hwy 1 in Santa Cruz, doing the speed limit and minding my own business, when a California Highway Patrol car came right up behind me, checking me out. I had an 'ah shoot!' moment while I checked my speedometer and my heart rate began to return to normal. Then he pulled around me and passed me in the fast lane, giving me a big grin and a thumbs up. You really can't buy moments like that, but you're going to have them when you drive one of these cars.

Yesterday I was talking to Fred at Bird Nest, pretty much on this same subject. He mentioned that they have TBird customers in Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Eastern Europe. And here was the cool thing. One of his customers in Thailand wrote him and told him that if ever he wants to drive somewhere and get there on time, he doesn't take his TBird because so many people want him to pull over and talk about the car.

I recently lost my wife, my best friend, and my TBird has kind of sustained me through the ordeal. It's my happy thought that keeps me calm and optimistic.

Cheers,

Doug

Life is short, my friends, so take my advice
Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice:)

Last edited:
Great to read all the replies. Myself I have had 77,79,85 and currently own 4 66’s tbirds. My favorite is my 428 coupe right now. But my 428 Convertible is going to become my favorites in a couple years. Still a lot of therapy to do there. I enjoy my Landau for summer cruises. Birds are the best no matter what shape or year, just enjoy the cars of yesteryear!

I love it, folks with multiple TBirds and still bringing it on. I feel a bit inadequate next to such well endowed individuals:)

We were going to outer space, folks, and we were going to drive there in our TBirds. How therapeutic is that?

upload_2019-6-4_4-22-17.png

upload_2019-6-4_4-19-55.png
upload_2019-6-4_4-20-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-4_4-17-22.png
    upload_2019-6-4_4-17-22.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-6-4_4-18-10.png
    upload_2019-6-4_4-18-10.png
    614.3 KB · Views: 0
We were going to outer space, folks, and we were going to drive there in our TBirds. How therapeutic is that?

View attachment 4096

View attachment 4094
View attachment 4095
Lol all that wacky thing looks like is a maintenance nightmare! I can see why it stayed a concept and didn't become something that ran normal production. Not to mention a safety hazard with that glass top. Ugg... Imagine looking back on this and thinking what would happen if you got into an accident with it.

Lol all that wacky thing looks like is a maintenance nightmare! I can see why it stayed a concept and didn't become something that ran normal production. Not to mention a safety hazard with that glass top. Ugg... Imagine looking back on this and thinking what would happen if you got into an accident with it.
Not to mention the hazards of flying it to outer space, right?

Actually I think in a way this did get into production as design cues for the Flair Bird.

Hi all. Some of you will know that my wife passed away shortly after I initiated this string back in May. I would just say that my TBird continues to be a comfort and palliative in my journey, amazingly bringing me new hope and wonderful possibilities as I am embracing my new life without my partner of 50 years. The TBird is a lodestone and not unlike my Corgi, always there, always faithful, and ever true to me as long as I continue to give her treats:)

Cheers all, you're a great group of people and I love you even if no one else does:)

Doug

Hi all. Some of you will know that my wife passed away shortly after I initiated this string back in May. I would just say that my TBird continues to be a comfort and palliative in my journey, amazingly bringing me new hope and wonderful possibilities as I am embracing my new life without my partner of 50 years. The TBird is a lodestone and not unlike my Corgi, always there, always faithful, and ever true to me as long as I continue to give her treats:)

Cheers all, you're a great group of people and I love you even if no one else does:)

Doug

Thank you Doug! You are an amazing dude, glad to call you my friend. I am trying to clean out the garage for more space to work on the tbird and to make room to pull another car in. I have been packing mom's stuff away - dad refuses to touch it so I have to "man up." - her prayer blankets - all six...I packed away...it really tore me up yesterday, I had a horrible day. Hung one of her rosaries in my car, it helps to look at it even though I know she wasn't very religious - she grew up VERY catholic though...so it helps.

I am also glad to know all of you and I hope all of you know that were/are a source of strength for me now and when I was giving EOL care to my mother and after she passed May 22nd, 2019 at 12:15pm... I appreciate you all.

Don

Doug and Dan.,....my sincere condolences on your loss. I’m glad that your cars are able to provide some comfort. I know that mine have provided comfort and a mental diversion for me. My wife of 45 years has been diagnosed with a blood cancer for which there is no cure, and I have my own problems that no one has been able to diagnosis. So far treatments are allowing her to hold her own. That and the power of prayer.

Hi there Bond007. My heart goes out to you and your wife. My wife Jackie was going into hospice towards the end but didn't make it, however the hospice organization here in Santa Cruz has been tremendously helpful to me and my daughters as we come to terms with our loss. I am encouraged that your wife is responding to treatments and you have precious moments with her, and hopefully that includes more Thunderbirding. I love it that even as life goes on, TBirds are a constant reason to smile and let go.

I'll send you a private message, Take care,

Doug

Replied to your PM (if I did it right)

Yes indeed, Gene, you are a steely eyed PMer, message received.

Doug

Back