Thunder on 66 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
Here's another update on the trip-

I goofed when I was looking at my calendar, and realized that my timeline puts us into LA on the 20th, not the 21st-so to compensate for that, I'm working with the Grand Canyon Railway on a special excursion to the Canyon for a day.

Also, I have come to the realization that I will have to place a limit on the number of Thunderbirds that we will start off from Chicago with, so for those that have already registered, please let me know if you are planning on starting in Chicago, or joining the group as we progress towards California.

Thanks!!

------------------

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Tony, why the limit and why does it just apply to the start? That figure is considerably less than the number of members who have attended other **** gatherings. Or are you just referring to the opening event at the Crowne Plaza for 2002 owners?

Sounds like a good time. Given we live near the ND/MN boarder, I think we would meet up with you in Carthage, MO overnight stay. Pretty much straight south for us.

Isn't this more for vintage Tbirds though? Would us new bird owners feel out of place at the car shows? Like the little brother trying to tag along with a reluctant older brother.
smile.gif
BUT WAIT: Just read by doing a search you don't even have to have a Tbird to join the ride.

What is the comment about "With the participation of Katie Couric and the Today show..." about? She isn't riding along in her red 02 is she.
smile.gif

Once you register, do you get some info on where to make room reservations?

The limit applies to those who are starting out with me, because of the number of members who will join the group as we progress towards LA.

We have a set number of parking spaces at the International Convention, and with only three hundred spaces available for the Concours, they are going fairly quickly. The Funbirds have blocked 100 spaces for those of us coming down 66.

Mainly the limit is for the Thunderbirds that are traveling with the group-my estimate is we'll have around 100-125 Thunderbirds when we hit LA. The other reason I had to set that limit is due to local regulations for the areas we are passing through-several communities require parade permits if a caravan is over a certain size-at a minimum of $300 per permit.

Don't worry though, we have plenty of room for the Thunderbirds yet-out of 30 registrations, 12 are Thunderbirds.

I'm not sure what the problem was with my posting messages here-was working fine earlier today.

To continue-

TR-by the time we hit LA we'll have between 100-125 Thunderbirds-and the Funbirds have set aside a block of 100 parking spaces for us-so we may need more when we get there.

Hotel reservation info will be forthcoming-to register for the IC hotel, use the following:

Wyndham Hotel,Costa Mesa,Calif.
Call 1-800/996-3426 or 714/751-5100
Code is "Vintage Thunderbird" for room rate of $89.00 per night.

This event is for ALL Thunderbirds-and believe me when I say that **** is welcoming the new Bird with open arms.

The statement abourt Katie Couric is because she will be accompanying us on the trip, doing live broadcasts and taped segments from the road each day, and driving her new Thunderbird.

I am making some minor changes in order to accomodate the extra day we will use to visit the canyon-our second stop in Missouri will be in Joplin instead of Carthage.

------------------

Wish all of you good luck on your drive. Wish we could join you but it would take up too much of my vacation time and I would have to put too many miles on my bird when I get it. Just to make this trip from the east coast I am talking about 16 to 17 vac. days plus around 6 to7,000 miles on my Bird. Just Too much for us. But have a good time and keep us informed of your progress.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

OK: Asked the wifey she is up for it. So will be sending ya our registration. Don't know if we would stick around for the convention part, though. Where do you find info on that part?

Joplin, MO works even better for us.

Realize this is a long ways away yet, but when it gets closer a private Yahoo group setup for those who are registered to introduce themselves would be nice. Photos etc.

------------------
2002 Tbird - Yellow/white top - 102446
72 MGB
2002 Escape
99 F150
Arctic Cat snowmobiles
Ranger Bass boat

Keep an eye on that site-we will be posting more info about the IC as time goes by.

I'll set up a special Yahoo Group to keep everyone registered for the event apprised of changes and hotel information

------------------

Tony, Count me in for the whole trip. What's for dinner on the 13th? Reservations have been made at Crowne Plaza and in California.

Gobird, Check out the idea of shipping your Bird back home. **** has made special arrangements with Horseless Carriage.

Racer-

I would hold off on making reservations-and camcel what you have at the Crowne Plaza-the person that was supposed to help with that did a runner on me, and no arrangements were ever made for that hotel.

Now I'm searching out another facility for the stay in Chicago.

------------------

I think we need to move contact for Thunder to the new group now:
http://groups.*********/group/thunderon66/

------------------

-

-

-

Tony,

I am interested in participating once you get to California. I'll check out your download on the route and see what's up.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

rt2-

visit the following site for info on the activities for the IC in Costa Mesa:

That's where we'll all end up.

------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back