Throttle problem | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Throttle problem

• Thread starter Thread starter yrbamje
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yrbamje

Reaction score
Well, it happened again. My was driving along and there was a thump, the "wrench"light came on and the car then went into Limp mode.
This has happened once before. However, slightly different this time. I rescued her and sent her off in my car. I decided I could limp home, so I cut the engine on. No wrench, but in limp mode.
To my surprise, the car started to run ok. Just like it always does.
I called the dealer. They said bring it in. I did, and they fixed it. It was a bad throttle. Covered under the extended warranty.
Has anyone else experienced limp then ok situation?
needless to say I was one surprised guy.
Just thought that all might like to here my tale.
Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well, it happened again. My was driving along and there was a thump, the "wrench"light came on and the car then went into Limp mode.
This has happened once before. However, slightly different this time. I rescued her and sent her off in my car. I decided I could limp home, so I cut the engine on. No wrench, but in limp mode.
To my surprise, the car started to run ok. Just like it always does.
I called the dealer. They said bring it in. I did, and they fixed it. It was a bad throttle. Covered under the extended warranty.
Has anyone else experienced limp then ok situation?
needless to say I was one surprised guy.
Just thought that all might like to here my tale.
Jim

I've experienced that situation with a Fusion... limped along until it was shut off then started right up.

UPDATE.
My wife picked up the car yesterday afternoon. They replaced throttle parts. I left the dealer papers in the car and don't have them with me. I thought I'd share all the stuff they did.
I'll try to do that later today.
She says it runs fine.
I guess If I'd picked it up, I would've asked how long it would run if we hadn't done anything.
By the way. Quickdraw, did you get the problem fixed or are you still driving it?
Jim

UPDATE.
My wife picked up the car yesterday afternoon. They replaced throttle parts. I left the dealer papers in the car and don't have them with me. I thought I'd share all the stuff they did.
I'll try to do that later today.
She says it runs fine.
I guess If I'd picked it up, I would've asked how long it would run if we hadn't done anything.
By the way. Quickdraw, did you get the problem fixed or are you still driving it?
Jim

Jim,
It was my daughter-in-laws car & after I shut it off & restarted it, it ran fine. I took it to the dealer anyway and he said is was a general fuel mixture error code and did not pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. he said it could be one of four things (Ive forgotten what three of them were) one of the things was clean the fuel injectors, I told him Id put a can of cleaner in the tank so to forget that - I had them do the the two next cheapest things... I think total bill was near $400. The other thing it could have been was near $1000 so I took a chance and didn't do that. Its run fine since and that was over a year ago.

Knowing full well Im going to jinx myself by writing this I'll tell you about my 2002 LS when the check engine light came on about three weeks ago. (It wasn't in limp mode) I took it to autozone for free error checking to see if there was a code. He said it was the oxygen sensor ($43 each) - two required to do both sides (recommended to do both). Since I don't do any crawling under the car anymore I was going to take it to the dealer to have them changed. When I got back in the car the check engine light was off - Autozone must have cleared it. It hasn't been back on since.... well probably until tomorrow <grin>

Well, in case anyone is interested, here is what the dealer report said. (Not all of it, but the important parts.)
EEC (Quick test) - Diagnosis
EEC System Diagnostic Pin point test operation # 12650D45
Recorder.Monitor Road Test - Diagnostics operation # 12654D81
Throttle Body - Air intake - replace operation 9926 a
Verify concern run EEC diagnosticP1204, P1206, P2111, P2135 PP test PID
Monitor while driving run OASIS Replace Throttle Body Assembly clear
Codes and Road test rerunEEC diag no codes FP Throttle body Mileage out 47724
PArt number FMC 3W45Z 9E926D $185.86
SO, this is what to expect if you have the throttle problem. By the way the total bill was 408.89, but we have the extended warranty, so only paid the $50.00 deductible.
Hope someone finds this useful. At least you have the codes and can look up what they mean.
Cheers!
Jim

Good report Jim, thanks!😎

I had a similar problem note in my post 10-01-2007. Mine worked OK last year but I'd like to know what the dealer replaced. Thanks.

Just found your post on the dealer work. Thanks again.

bought my 04 in feb of 2009. 2 weeks later, limp condition. dealership replaced throttle body. in dec of 2009, limp again, ford dealership replaced ECU as it has long warranty. 2 days later, limp, turned off, restarted and no problem. this morning, 3 days later, limp gain and turned off, restarted, but engine light stayed on. any suggestions? throttle body only had 12/12000 mile warranty that is now too late as i am in 15000 mile since. t-bird only has 40k on engine. help?😕

bought my 04 in feb of 2009. 2 weeks later, limp condition. dealership replaced throttle body. in dec of 2009, limp again, ford dealership replaced ECU as it has long warranty. 2 days later, limp, turned off, restarted and no problem. this morning, 3 days later, limp gain and turned off, restarted, but engine light stayed on. any suggestions? throttle body only had 12/12000 mile warranty that is now too late as i am in 15000 mile since. t-bird only has 40k on engine. help?😕

Sorry, I have no idea..... there should be an error code in the computer - the dealer can check it ($90) or AutoZone (or other big car parts stores) will check the error code for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back