This part of the T-bird looks strange | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

This part of the T-bird looks strange

• Thread starter Thread starter whvt01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since the car has been out part has just looked strange. The rear
wheel opening is too far back from the roof line. It looks like its play catch
up with car. If the roof was longer and came down over the wheel
well more. Going to start looking at some of the other 2 seaters and
see if they strike as strange as the T-bird. It may be the short blunt front
end that seems to emphasis the rear more.

Yesterday while waiting out a downpour at the mall saw one of the
purplelish one's on an end row, so had a chance to look at it awhile.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

.....part of what the designers wanted to do was replicate the reverse wedge design of the original baby 'Birds.....so you'll see, the profile trails off to the rear.....having acheived that part, the front end didn't look right, so they Vee'ed the nose slightly so looking down you see the Vee.....and you will see in profile that grille remains vertical.........quite effective...... 😀

...my 2 cents...

My first post - but I must weigh in on the notion that "all cars must look just alike". Yes, the stretch is there and pronounced enough to cause the causual viewer to take a second to figure our what is "different" about our Birds...that rear IS VERY different!

Most two seaters have opted for the blunt rear end...the Bird a blunt front end. If you like to run with the herd then you will opt for the chopped rear with the rear wheel cutouts well under the back roofline. However, notice the elegant rapier rear of the T-Bird and behold a work of art! Yes, it is indeed different and noticable and one-of-a-kind!

It does what it is intended to do and that is look enough like the originals to be "retro" but modern enough to be different. This car is for those who want the reverse wedge with a nice trunk that holds the gear out of the way and out of the cockpit (much safer). I just stuffed two weekend bags, a convection oven, tools, and a first aid kit and fire extinquisher into the Bird's tail for a weekend out. I was amazed and delighted that that area held so much, looked so nice, and kept the stuff out of my space. After owning Vettes with a hatchback stowage area, I really like the T-Bird's much better and it doesn't look like we are traveling when we stop at McDonalds!!

Mike

04*PCR said:
My first post - but I must weigh in on the notion that "all cars must look just alike". Yes, the stretch is there and pronounced enough to cause the causual viewer to take a second to figure our what is "different" about our Birds...that rear IS VERY different!

Most two seaters have opted for the blunt rear end...the Bird a blunt front end. If you like to run with the herd then you will opt for the chopped rear with the rear wheel cutouts well under the back roofline. However, notice the elegant rapier rear of the T-Bird and behold a work of art! Yes, it is indeed different and noticable and one-of-a-kind!

It does what it is intended to do and that is look enough like the originals to be "retro" but modern enough to be different. This car is for those who want the reverse wedge with a nice trunk that holds the gear out of the way and out of the cockpit (much safer). I just stuffed two weekend bags, a convection oven, tools, and a first aid kit and fire extinquisher into the Bird's tail for a weekend out. I was amazed and delighted that that area held so much, looked so nice, and kept the stuff out of my space. After owning Vettes with a hatchback stowage area, I really like the T-Bird's much better and it doesn't look like we are traveling when we stop at McDonalds!!

Mike

I love your observations! Welcome and congratulations on your first post.

The styling of the rear end is one of the features I like most about our T-Birds. After all, nothing grabs a dirty old man's attention quite like a well proportioned backside!! 😀

Same For Me

You put it very nicely. That is exactly how I would describe and travel with my 02Blue/W Tbird.

Very nice writeup.

HKS

04*PCR said:

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back