2004 T-Bird mylar strip looks bad | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 T-Bird mylar strip looks bad

• Thread starter Thread starter Dave C
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Stainless Steel Strip Instead of Mylar 'OEM'

Yes, extremely happy with mine.

Easy to install and looks good when HT is off. 😀

(Is 72 today in Jacksonville so top is going to be down!)

Tarre said:
Has anyone tried X-PEL on the area that is scratched? They show a piece that is made for it.

http://www.xpel.com/products/config...e=1&year=2005&make=12&model=237&submodel=2259

Convertible Top Contact Area kit
Part Number: P0531E
Our Price: $89.95

I don't know anyone that has used that solution. This wouldn't cover the paint rub area at both sides of the top. They used to make three thin strips, just like the Ford solution, for about $30. That apparently worked about the same as the strips Ford supplys. You did get a kit with a free set of strips in the trunk didn't you?

Quickdraw

I had X pel put on my 03 bird. front, light covers, mirrors and deck area. Seems to work fine, just alittle lifting of plastic on front at curves.Deck panel does not keep the top from shifting but no apparent rub marks. Top is off most of year on this car.
I have a new 05 also did not put xpel on front or deck yet. Will try Ford strips. Did put headlite plastic on. Time will tell. They sell kits if you want to put it on yourself. flat pieces are fairly easy, not so with curves etc.

Dennis

MIDAS said:
I had X pel put on my 03 bird. front, light covers, mirrors and deck area. Seems to work fine, just alittle lifting of plastic on front at curves.Deck panel does not keep the top from shifting but no apparent rub marks. Top is off most of year on this car.
I have a new 05 also did not put xpel on front or deck yet. Will try Ford strips. Did put headlite plastic on. Time will tell. They sell kits if you want to put it on yourself. flat pieces are fairly easy, not so with curves etc.

Dennis

Dennis, that deck area piece doesn't cover the two sides of the roof - did you get any rub marks there?

Quickdraw

No rub marks as my mylar was installed from a whole piece and cut out and not from the original kits. Mylar on 03 covers out past sides of top about 3 inches. Maybe that is why it cost a lot more than $89.00.
Dennis

Stainless strip update

Back on post #20, I told Sophia I would post my results of the stainless deck strip. My Hardtop is now off after 3000+ miles.

I had some scratching and black marks on the stainless piece. Mostly on the rear center.
I polished the black off with a chrome polish and then waxed it with Wheel Wax. There is still evidence of slight scratches on the stainless, but I'd rather that than on the paint.
SOLUTION - In the future, I plan to add the Ford mylar strips over the stainless until I run out.

As it relates to the paint on the deck --- There were two areas on the corners that got some rub marks from gasket overhang.
SOLUTION - I will go to QAA early next week. They want to see it. Hopefully we will work on possibly making the corners wider for new strips, but no promises. I will keep you posted.

All in all I am still happy with the stainless appearance and it saved my paint.

Again, if you're new or your strips are new, just add the Mylar over the stainless before you re-mount your hardtop.

Status
Not open for further replies.