Telescopic steering wheel doesn't work

TBBLUE02

TBBLUE02

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The tilt function works on my 2002 T-Bird but the telescopic doesn't. Could it be a fuse problem or - it's adjusted electronically ??? Is there a way to lock the telescopic portion and continue using the tilt wheel. I really don't need the telescopic option, I just don't like the wheel sliding in and out from the firewall.
My T-Bird only has 14,152 miles on the clock.

Thanks,
Larry

The tilt function works on my 2002 T-Bird but the telescopic doesn't. Could it be a fuse problem or - it's adjusted electronically ??? Is there a way to lock the telescopic portion and continue using the tilt wheel. I really don't need the telescopic option, I just don't like the wheel sliding in and out from the firewall.

Thanks,
Larry
Hi does your steering wheel move in and out while driving ? I was having a problem with mine not work,I took it back to Ford and found out that it has to be reset with the key.

Hi does your steering wheel move in and out while driving ? I was having a problem with mine not work,I took it back to Ford and found out that it has to be reset with the key.

Tony, Yes it does move in and out while driving. It's just a minor nuisance that I would like to make go away. Did the dealer use a 'special' ? Got any idea how the dealership did the fix?

Thanks for your response!
Larry

I was told they have to reset it with the chip thats in the key . But it sounds like you might have more going on then just that. I can see your concern I wouldn't like it pushing in and out while driving either....Good luck

I realize this is an old thread but I'm hoping to get some help because I'm not seeing anything under the search feature. I've got my mom's T-bird for a couple of weeks while she's on vacation and the steering column telescopes but doesn't tilt and it's borderline unsafe driving because it's rubbing on my thighs. I'm not sure if anybody has additional information on how to reset it with the key that has the chip or if it's possibly just a problem with the button and electronics since there seems to be a lot of those with the Ford T Birds in this generation

I realize this is an old thread but I'm hoping to get some help because I'm not seeing anything under the search feature. I've got my mom's T-bird for a couple of weeks while she's on vacation and the steering column telescopes but doesn't tilt and it's borderline unsafe driving because it's rubbing on my thighs. I'm not sure if anybody has additional information on how to reset it with the key that has the chip or if it's possibly just a problem with the button and electronics since there seems to be a lot of those with the Ford T Birds in this generation

Good morning the key your using may not have been programmed with the system. I dont know if your using your mom's key or a extra one but each key has a chip in it that needs to be set up to the steering wheel if you take it to Fird they can do it for you. Then in the future if you ever have to have work done you need to take all of the keys in with you to have them all reprogrammed together . I hope this helps.

I’ve experienced this and several similar issues. Try disconnecting the positive terminal of the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. Make certain there is no key in the ignition and windows up. I think this resets the computer, but it has solved tilt/telescoping steering wheel issues as well as window off-set issues as you open close the door.

Any key inserted into the ignition should trigger the steering wheel whether it is programmed or not. If I put my GMC pickup key about a quarter inch into the ignition key slot the steering wheel moves. My mailbox key does the same thing when inserted about a quarter inch into the ignition slot.

I agree. I don’t think the T-Bird keys are “smart” keys, i.e. they do not have a chip that sends a signal to the car. When a key or anything else that will fit is inserted in the ignition, it’s just a mechanical function that tells the computer to move the wheel to its last preset position. Resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery seems to work better when there is no key in the ignition sending a signal to the computer.

I agree. I don’t think the T-Bird keys are “smart” keys, i.e. they do not have a chip that sends a signal to the car.
There is a chip in the key. The security chip in the 2002 key is different from the chip in the 03 04 and 05 versions. There is a whole process for programming them that is outlined in your users manual. You need to have two working programmed keys to program a third and you can have up to 10 keys. My car came with only one so I had to have a locksmith reprogram the whole system. He was far cheaper than the ford dealer.

I agree. I don’t think the T-Bird keys are “smart” keys, i.e. they do not have a chip that sends a signal to the car.
They have transponder keys. Even my 2001 Mercury sable had a transponder key. Here are the 2003-2005 keys- http://amzn.to/2b6rwuH

Well there is no definitive solution here....the tilt function on my
T_bird doesn't work. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes did not fix problem. Any other ideas?

I have a similar problem like you, my steering wheel tilts up and down, but does not telescope in,
it did move out until it went all the way out. I think it is something mechanical, or electrical.

Moving the switch on the left side of the steering collumb you can hear the relays that control the
motors, but I did not hear a relay engage when steering wheel was to move inward. So will have
to take apart to see what is not happening.

I will let you know what I find, when I do tackle this.

I just posted elsewhere, and opened my steering column today to see why my steering wheel
tilts up and down, but only telescoped out, not in. What I found on my 02 Bird is there is a
sensor module on the right side of the steering column that must sense where the wheel is.

If I unplug the wires, the tilt and telescope function works fine, but only in short steps. You
have to keep moving the switch to get the wheel where you want it. Also the key in or out
moving the wheel does not work when the wires are unplugged.

Going to investigate this more, let you know what I find. Here are two photos, one of the top
of the column, and one of the sensor in the right side.Tbird column top.JPG Tbird column side sensor.JPG

Posted elsewhere, but will add here, you can remove the plastic shroud around your steering column,
held on with two phillips screws, remove shroud and on the right side you will see a black plastic
module, just like in my photo on the right. Unplug the small plug with four wires, and you should
get control of your tilt and telescope functions. When you unplug the plug with four wires, anytime
you move the tilt switch you will get short one second movements of your steering wheel. It appears
this is a default function. If this does work, than your position sensor is bad just like mine. I just received
a used steering column assembly, took used position sensor and plugged into my car, and my tilt and
telescoping functions work again. Now I have to remove my steering column and swap sensors, not going
to be fun, but good to have those functions back.

For a year I haven't been able to drive my 2005 Tbird 50th Anniversary because it was stuck all the way up. Thanks to this Forum site I was able to get it in a position that I use to drive it in then I removed the 15amp fuse to the steering wheel now it stays in that position . THANK YOU

Just had a new Sony radio installed in my 2005 T Bird. Now the self adjusting steering wheel does not function properly when Key is removed. The wheel moves up out of the way when ignition key is removed, but with in 3 seconds, the wheel returns to original location. This did not happen before new radio was installed.

Sounds like a wire has either been pinched, or power is leaking back through
a radio power connection to the car wiring.

Thanks,
Larry
Fuse is located behind the right kick panel on a 2005 Tbird. F19 15 amp

Just to add to this particular POST: I found two protruding shafts behind the steering column that can be turned and the telescopic and tilt features of the steering column can be adjusted manually. If you are having problems with the tilt control and telescopic feature not working properly, pull fuse 19 from the panel under the right kick panel, and adjust the column to your satisfactory position while driving using a small socket and ratchet on the appropriate shaft. The shafts are hexagonal shaped, and a small 10 or 12 mm socket fits right over the end. Works for me and happy driving.

Back