Tbird verses Lincoln LS | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Tbird verses Lincoln LS

• Thread starter Thread starter Brad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickdraw, I'm guessing you will be the resident expert on my question.

Do you think there is any truth to my theory that Ford intentionally dialed down the performance of the T-bird? Either through chip programming or something else.

I believe the LS on paper is supposed to be faster than the bird. From driving both, what's your opinion on responsiveness?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not an expert in anything but I do have both the 02 LS and 02 Bird. The engines are exactly the same and the both have basically the same tranny but the LS has the Select Shift. I have no idea which is faster - sometime I'll have to try them side by side.

The Bird would seem to have the better perforamce since it's lighter and for sure the sensation of speed is greater in the bird but I have the top down all the time and it may just be the wind. It has to be a pretty hot day to chirp the tires at all from a standing start on either (must turn Advance-Track off for this).

I don't think they intentionally dialed down performance but I read that the Jaguar has the same size engine and its displacement is rated at 4.0 liter where ours is listed at 3.9 even though its closer 4.0 This was a markert decision.

That the after market performace houses dont seem to have a computer re-flash program worth the trouble makes me think the engine is optimized pretty well.

One of the guys in my LS club ran several drag times using the manual Select Shift vs the factory automatic shift points and he could never match the D4/D5 automatic shift settings. He probably stayed in each gear a bit too long.

Sorry I cant be of more help....

Originally posted by Quickdraw
I have no idea which is faster - sometime I'll have to try them side by side.

Wow Quickdraw, you're good! That is something I HAVE to see: you driving two cars at one time!!! LOL 😀 😀 😛

comparison

I thought that the Bird was slightly heavier than the LS due to the need to beef up the frame? (The Bird is only slightly lighter than the new Jag XJ, a car I would buy in a heartbeat if I weren't nearing retirement.

Also, while it may have been a "marketing" decision to rate the Bird at 3.9 and the Jag at 4.0 (now 4.2), didn't the Jag with the 4.0 have a higher horsepower rating at least in 02?

The LS and Bird should run about the same, while the new Jag S (with a six speed auto trans, 4.2, and 294 hp) should nudge them both out slightly unless it's drastically heavier.

Had an LS8

with the same Horsepower rating as the 02 bird. They both
felt the same in similar driving situations. The select shift
was never and can say never used in the LS. When floored to
merge or overtake, sound and feel weren't enough
difference to rate.

Jerry,

I thought that the Bird was slightly heavier than the LS due to the need to beef up the frame?

You are right, I was worng. I assumed because the Bird was shortened it would come in less than the LS but indeed the LS weighs slightly less. The curb weight for the 2004 Bird is 3863 and the 2004 LS is 3811 lbs.

00mustng said:
....the Jag. ...in 4.0 L form was rated at 281H.P........ 😀

Im guessing its the same engine as the Tbird/LS 3.9L 280HP with the rounding error going up instead of down.

I visited our Local Jag dealer and was told that the 4.2 Jag engine was not at all like my 2003 Bird.Was not even close. Who do we believe? I too would like a supercharger ala Jag.
Dennis 😕

Quickdraw, I'm guessing you will be the resident expert on my question.

Do you think there is any truth to my theory that Ford intentionally dialed down the performance of the T-bird? Either through chip programming or something else.

I believe the LS on paper is supposed to be faster than the bird. From driving both, what's your opinion on responsiveness?
I have owned both the 2002 Lincoln ls and 2002 Thunderbird. The ls is faster.

2005 Ford Thunderbird 0-60 times, all trims
ford-thunderbird-2005.jpg

Trim0-60 times, 1/4 mile
Deluxe 2dr Convertible
280 Hp, 286 Lb-Ft., 3775 Weight
6.5 sec, 15.1 @ 93
Premium 2dr Convertible
280 Hp, 286 Lb-Ft., 3781 Weight
6.5 sec, 15.1 @ 93
2002 Ford Thunderbird 0-60 times, all trims
ford-thunderbird-2002.jpg

Trim0-60 times, 1/4 mile
Deluxe 2dr Convertible
252 Hp, 267 Lb-Ft., 3775 Weight
6.85 sec, 15.2 @ 0
Premium 2dr Convertible
252 Hp, 267 Lb-Ft., 3781 Weight
6.85 sec, 15.2 @ 0
Removable Top Deluxe 2dr Convertible
252 Hp, 267 Lb-Ft., 3863 Weight
7 sec, 15.5 @ 0
Removable Top Premium 2dr Convertible
252 Hp, 267 Lb-Ft., 3869 Weight
7 sec, 15.5 @ 0
2002 Lincoln LS V-8 (aut. 5) (model since mid-year 2001 for North America U.S.) car specifications & performance data review

Specs datasheet with technical data and performance data plus an analysis of the direct market competition of Lincoln LS V-8 (aut. 5) in 2002 the model with 4-door sedan body and V-8 3950 cm3 / 241.9 cui engine size, 188 kW / 256 PS / 252 hp (SAE net) of power, 354 Nm / 261 lb-ft of torque, 5-speed automatic powertrain offered since mid-year 2001 for North America U.S.. Specifications listing with the outside and inside dimensions, fuel economy, top speed, performance factory data and ProfessCars™ estimation: this Lincoln would accelerate 0-60 mph in 6.4 sec, 0-100 km/h in 6.8 sec, 0-200 km/h in 34.3 sec and quarter mile time is 15 sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back