TBird Transmission U.S. built | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

TBird Transmission U.S. built

• Thread starter Thread starter George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Passed Away July 25, 2015
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
This subject of whether our trannys are From France or U.S. has been answered by Quickdraw somewhere along the line but the questions continue, so here's a copy of his response, especially for those who see tags that say, Made in France:

"The transmissions for the Thunderbird and Lincoln LS are made in Ford’s Sharonville, Ohio transmission plant, not in France as is widely believed. The engines are also made in Ohio, (Lima). Bordeaux France makes the truck version of the 5R55 transmissions for Rangers and Explorers. The car versions for this latest Thunderbird were always made in Ohio and until last year the Sharonville Ohio plant even made the transmissions for Jaguar."

Some people have found that the "Parts Content Information" sheet that came with their Thunderbird and it list parts content as follows:
"For this Vehicle:
Final Assembly Point:
WIXOM, MICHIGAN, U.S.
Country of Origin:
ENGINE: U.S.
TRANSMISSION: FRANCE"
The vehicle's serial number is listed at the bottom of the sheet.

So, QD went looking for more data and came up with the following:

"First of all let me say I never would have bothered asking where the transmissions were built if I had ever seen a “Part Content Information” sheet. I've always heard the Tbird transmissions were made in France but it didn't seem logical when Ford has transmission plants in the U.S. I asked a senior engineer at Ford, Sharonville where the transmissions were made and he said “they’re made in Sharonville.”
The answer to the discrepancy is: the "Part Content Sheet" is wrong. The Sharonville plant said "we ship over 3,000 5R55 transmissions to Wixom every month." (Wixom LS+Thunderbird production is about 3,600 monthly). An Email from the head Wixom engineer said "yes the transmissions come from Sharonville and we know the parts content sheets are wrong". It has been speculated that some parts that Sharonville assembles into the final transmission might be made in France and they had to divulge that. Another explanation is the Explorer transmission is also a model 5R55 but is a truck version – that is made in France and maybe whoever ordered the content stickers didn’t know there were two versions of the trans. But the Thunderbird/LS transmissions are absolutely made in Sharonville, Ohio.
Other things I learned while digging today: The Select Shift Transmissions (SST) are identical to the standard transmissions, "add-ons" make it a SST or not."
Please note, since I have copied these data from QD's written posts, I have pulled out any information that did not belong here to keep the info to a minimum
I hope that Quickdraw dosen't mind me doing this, I just thought that since the subject keeps coming up that it was important to get it back out.

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don't mind at all George, I appreciate you keeping tabs at this site. Sometimes I don't get back here for a few days and the search function does not allow me to search for NEW POSTS - it only allows TODAY'S POSTS and I miss new messages unless they were made in the previous 24 hours.

George, Thanks for being here for everyone... I nominate YOU for 2006 member of the year and will send a copy of this to "tbird" Mike.

Quickdraw, (Harry)
Thanks for your support!. I like doing what I can to keep new Thunderbird enthuiasts involved and informed. All too many times these TBird sites get into the politcs and no one wins at that.
The Forum seems to stay on track with TBird data and that's refreshing

😱 Thanks for the good "info" and update...
aint drivin' no tranny from FRANCE....or it's bye bye birdie!

French Parts

BIRDHOUSE

I have a 2003 & 2005 Bird. As long as they work I do not care where the parts have been made. My 2004 Mountaineer AWD V8 was made in US with French AWD Trans. Had 2 85 Lincolns Continentals made in Canada? and all the warranty books and notes around the vehicle (notices) were in English & French. I think in todays market we may get a car assembled in US with parts from many countries. My only concern with all Mfgs of new vehicles is the availability of parts 10 years down the road if need be. Sometimes the auto Mfgs get like computer and video mfgs and sell planned obsolence and after a very short time NO MORE REPAIR PARTS.

My Dodge (97) 4X4 Ram Diesel was made in Mexico,still a very good vehicle. Just because we may not agree with French politics they still are in a world trade 🙂 with us.

My 2cents

Dennis

Keep your French Fries too....

BIRDHOUSE

I have a 2003 & 2005 Bird. As long as they work I do not care where the parts have been made. My 2004 Mountaineer AWD V8 was made in US with French AWD Trans. Had 2 85 Lincolns Continentals made in Canada? and all the warranty books and notes around the vehicle (notices) were in English & French. I think in todays market we may get a car assembled in US with parts from many countries. My only concern with all Mfgs of new vehicles is the availability of parts 10 years down the road if need be. Sometimes the auto Mfgs get like computer and video mfgs and sell planned obsolence and after a very short time NO MORE REPAIR PARTS.

My Dodge (97) 4X4 Ram Diesel was made in Mexico,still a very good vehicle. Just because we may not agree with French politics they still are in a world trade 🙂 with us.

My 2cents

Dennis

The French would be speaking German....if it wasn't for us! You can have
your French "tranny" and wine. I'm old school....love American Steel. I'll
buy an "old" American made used car before I ride in their crap. And I drink
BEER made here in America. My Mercury Marauder was built in Canada,
but the tranny and motor are USA...and everything came written in English.
Don't call me the next time somebody wants to kick their (French) ass.
My 2.5 cents.....

Gotta Love It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back