Stuff a 302 AOD into a 56 T-Bird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
R
I have a 56 T-bird with a bad 312 engine. I also have a 302 and AOD out of a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer. It is my intention to try and put the 302 into the 56 Bird while I'm trying to rebuild the 312. Has anyone done this before? If so, I am looking for you help.
Thanks, and have a nice day.
P.S. - For the purists, I do not want to make this a permanent change and I plan to keep the original engine and transmission with the car.

------------------
Randy Veach
1956 Sage Green Bird

Hey a 302 conversion has been done before but if your not going to keep it for a period of many months I say its not worth it because you'll have to addapt the engine to fit the mounts, you'll have to change out the engine as well as the flywheel and the transmission, and you'll have to set the car up with a computer and electronic ignition so the engine will run. Whine you could get most of the parts out of the car you took the engine out of it is still an aweful lot of work and a real pain in the rear. Unless you make it permanent which will really devalue your car you probably just want to let the car sit till the 312 is rebvuilt. Otherwise if your not a professional it will probably take you untill the engine is done just to outfit the car and then you have to take it all back out again.

It is your car. I'm not paying you so my opinion is worth as much as you are paying me. That said why not. There can be associated costs.
If you have the computer from the Merc and the AOD is not computer controlled it is not brain surgery. An aftermarket wiring harness would be very useful. It would be easier with a swap to a carburetor and non-computer distributor. The AOD will need to be set for the throttle adjustment to work so that the trans does not "burn" up. If the transmission is computer controlled you would need a stand alone wiring harness for it. The motor mounts for your Bird and the 302 are very different. You will need to fabricate or source frame side mounts for the Windsor engine. Likewise for a rear transmission mount. A new driveshaft will be needed so you can reuse the original with the re-installation of your Y-Block 312. The Thunderbird uses front engine mount and steady rests unlike Windsor mounts on the side of the block. There will be some associated wiring needed to connect car to engine. Radiator shroud can be an issue as well as fan spacing. New or adapted exhaust system for mufflers to engine exhaust manifolds. Of course everything will need to clear the steering system. You shifter will likely not be useful for the AOD. There are certainly other items you will encounter besides my list. Read that as more time and money. it is not a quick bolt-in The engines are form different engien families and different periods even though there is a time frame overlap of production.
All in all it is not impossible but it is a lot of work and cost for a temporary solution.

As a necessary caveat; if you do not have a shop manual it is cheap for the information it contains. I usually tell people that if the shop manual is too expensive then you probably can't afford the car. To own an old car you either need to do some of the work yourself or have a lot of spare money after finding someone who knows what do do on your car. It is expensive to allow someone to learn on your car, at your expense.

Yes. What he said!!! My 55 has been converted and the guys who did it back in the late 60's welded in big pieces of plate from the frame to allow the mustang motor mounts bolt up for the install. It would take a ton of work to bring mine back to original configuration so I am not even going to try. I have a friend who has done or been involved with a few conversions into the little birds. He says the biggest issues are always trying to clear the steering box and getting an oil pan that is compatible with the install. What my friend does for the install is to land the engine and trans into the space. he gets the rear trans mount situated first, Then he adjusts the engine to location for a good fit. He removes the steady rest mounts from the bird frame and fabricates metal mounts that can be bolted into the frame and mate up to the motor mounts. He does a very nice install that came be brought back to original configuration without too much fanfare.
Another thing to remember is that the newer engine weighs a lot less than the original 312. Your front end will rise up and the car will sit with a different stance. I've been told that guys use coil springs from a Ford Aerostar van. They are a little shorter and have a different spring rate as they compress. They say it gives a good ride.

It is your car. I'm not paying you so my opinion is worth as much as you are paying me. That said why not. There can be associated costs.
If you have the computer from the Merc and the AOD is not computer controlled it is not brain surgery. An aftermarket wiring harness would be very useful. It would be easier with a swap to a carburetor and non-computer distributor. The AOD will need to be set for the throttle adjustment to work so that the trans does not "burn" up. If the transmission is computer controlled you would need a stand alone wiring harness for it. The motor mounts for your Bird and the 302 are very different. You will need to fabricate or source frame side mounts for the Windsor engine. Likewise for a rear transmission mount. A new driveshaft will be needed so you can reuse the original with the re-installation of your Y-Block 312. The Thunderbird uses front engine mount and steady rests unlike Windsor mounts on the side of the block. There will be some associated wiring needed to connect car to engine. Radiator shroud can be an issue as well as fan spacing. New or adapted exhaust system for mufflers to engine exhaust manifolds. Of course everything will need to clear the steering system. You shifter will likely not be useful for the AOD. There are certainly other items you will encounter besides my list. Read that as more time and money. it is not a quick bolt-in The engines are form different engien families and different periods even though there is a time frame overlap of production.
All in all it is not impossible but it is a lot of work and cost for a temporary solution.

As a necessary caveat; if you do not have a shop manual it is cheap for the information it contains. I usually tell people that if the shop manual is too expensive then you probably can't afford the car. To own an old car you either need to do some of the work yourself or have a lot of spare money after finding someone who knows what do do on your car. It is expensive to allow someone to learn on your car, at your expense.
I left out the possible change of oil panand pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back