Strut Tower Brace - Good or Bad Idea???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jboriott

Supporting Contributor
Last seen
I am considering a strut tower brace for my Bird. Presumably this would make it handle better (laterally). It might even further reduce cowl shake.

Question is: is this potentially damaging to my (lovely) car? Presumably this is introducting forces that the engineers may not have accounted for. Any one with some level of engineering expertise have an opinion?

I am no engineer but am old enough to realise that the new bird should be left just as it came from the factory. If you want a car that corners better, or goes faster, I would buy another car. I do not understand the people that buy a new bird and then want to change the appearance by adding "custom" features. If you think that some day the bird will be collectible leave it stock. Look at any collectible car and the most original cars are the most desirable. As an example a stock 55-57 bird is worth far more than one that has been modified. The new bird is a great car that you can not improve. Enjoy and preserve it as it came from Ford.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

Cbird: Ditto that !!
Originally posted by CBIRD:
I am no engineer but am old enough to realise that the new bird should be left just as it came from the factory. If you want a car that corners better, or goes faster, I would buy another car. I do not understand the people that buy a new bird and then want to change the appearance by adding "custom" features. If you think that some day the bird will be collectible leave it stock. Look at any collectible car and the most original cars are the most desirable. As an example a stock 55-57 bird is worth far more than one that has been modified. The new bird is a great car that you can not improve. Enjoy and preserve it as it came from Ford.

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

A strut tower brace will indeed help reduce cowl shake. It will even make your car last longer sturctural (under normal conditions, the car will outlast you). Over time, a car will warp or twist and this is more pronouced if the car is driven under very hard conditions (road racing, drag racing, etc.) The negative advantage of this added ridigity is that the car will ride more harsh (you will feel the road more.) I have driven many Mustangs with such a brace and enjoy the many benefits, but do not plan to drive the T-Bird the same way I drive my Mustang.

That said, if you do plan to install the brace, I would look for one that bolts to existing bolts inside the engine compartment for the coil springs. This way it will not require drilling extra holes or welding. Most racers prefer to weld them in, but that makes maintenance and removal difficult. This will also allow you to remove it without much of a trace if you felt the need.

As for everyone saying you should not modify your car, do what will with it. It is yours. You only live once and when you die God does not give you special consideration because you kept your car original. I believe that museums are in the business of preserving history.

Let us know where you find one and how it works.

Paul H., P.E.
02 T-Bird
85 Mustang GT Convertible

Has anyone heard of exhaust systems coming out for the 'Bird? I know that Borla and Magnaflow are "in the process" but who really knows when they're coming out? It could be a year from now! Also, does anyone out there know of any companies that could custom make chrome pieces for the outside of the car? The more chrome the better! If someone doesn't come out with these products, I may have to flip "the bird" to an unsuspecting company exec!

I am considering a strut tower brace for my Bird. Presumably this would make it handle better (laterally). It might even further reduce cowl shake.

Question is: is this potentially damaging to my (lovely) car? Presumably this is introducting forces that the engineers may not have accounted for. Any one with some level of engineering expertise have an opinion?

Please let us know how it looks (photo) and where to find one.

Did you ever find one??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back