Steering Wheel Collumn Collapsed! | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Steering Wheel Collumn Collapsed!

• Thread starter Thread starter snow_san
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty. George this will be a first you've heard I'm sure.

On the way home from work yesterday, turned the wheel to
get onto the street, the steering wheel collapsed! It just fell into the
lowest position you can set it to. It will move foward and back but
not up and down.

Took it to the dealer this morning and said it was "wear and tear".
Well this "wear and tear" is gonna cost me $845!

Called Ford but I'll have to call them back later with VIN.

I'll keep you updated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

update.
Called Ford. Wear and tear issue.
I'll be helped some and that's all I can ask for.

So people, be easy on your steering wheel. 😉

Snow_San
Absolutely correct. I never heard of that before. How many miles on the car?

BTW, Before I settled on anything with Ford, I would suggest that you go back and start with the word "safety" and "liability". Wear and tear just doesn't make it in my book. The entire drive train is Lincoln LS and there are many Thousands of them and 68,000 TBirds. I have yet to hear of a collapse steering wheel and even know of a T-Bird currently in operation, in TX that has 88,000 miles on it with NO wear and tear.
I believe if you do some additional homework on this and go back and speak with FACTS, they'll cover it for you - Just my opinion and keep us advised please.

snow-san:
I checked with another member who is pretty knowledgable and here is that reply:

"George,
I've heard of problems with some steering wheels in the past, did the guy say how many miles on his?
The problem may have been why he was asked for hs vin# when he called Ford. It shouldn't happen and definitely is not wear and tear but a defect someplace in the system.
Our 05 experiences some steering wheel problems sometimes when we start it - been like that since new but happens rarely and is not consistent to be able to tell the dealer. We usually just have to restart the car to get it to clear but his sounds like that's not the case."

So now I'm curious as to what year car this is. Is it an '05. Is it under warranty? Because if it is, there should be NO excuse from them just fix it!!
Let us know please

...I have to shake my head at the attitude of some dealers.....and the quality of their personnel.....There seems to be a universal lack of knowledge regarding our 'Birds...not only mechanically but also physically in terms of body work...as I have recently realized.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back