Status of retro-fit rub "scuff molding" | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Status of retro-fit rub "scuff molding"

• Thread starter Thread starter hlanni
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read in previous posts that a retro-fit scuff molding was available and it was to replace the mylar tape. Has anyone had this done yet and is it a warranty item. Also with respect to the mylar tape that is described in the owner's manual, is this supposed to come with the car or does the owner have to buy it separately from Ford.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First, the mylar tape is supposed to come with the car. There should be three strips in the trunk in a cardboard container. Mine were not there and the dealer ordered them. When they came in he tried to charge me for them. I showed him copies of some of the posts, where most everyone got them in the car or ordered by the dealers at no charge. He gave them to me .

After you use the three, you can purchase more from the parts department.

As it relates to the mylar replacements, stay tuned in here. There is no replacement as yet for the mylar tape but it is supposed to be out in 5-6 weeks. By then they will decide if the new tape is under warranty, AND they may have a Stainless Steel Strip that quite possibly could come out as an after market part which obviously means we pay for it. I prefer the SS Strip on my Black bird.

NEW STRIPS ARE FINALLY IN

For all of you who have been patiently waiting, the "New Mylar Strips" have come in to Ford Dealerships.
My October order got deleted after 60 days (a lot of other's lost their orders as well) so I had to re-order them when I went in to check on the old order. New order placed on 1-21 and had the new strips on 1-23.
There were 52 sets in a distribution center, so if you think you have an order in check it now.
Kind of too cold to put them on right now but at least I have them.
They come in a nice black plastic case with a snap to keep it closed and the case has a T Bird logo adheared to the front of it.

thaser, Lon O'Connell, 2bluebird,tbirdmarty, hlanni, Rivsrus1, 2Fast4U, Tampabird, etal. - Time to get those dealers responding to you as well. Good Luck

Last edited:
Part Number of New Strips

rc:
The new part number is 4W6Z-76202W30-AA.
If this looks familiar to you, the first set started with a 1W, instead of a 4W.
So, double check the number on your order so it doesn't come in with the wrong parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back