Starting Issue | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Starting Issue

• Thread starter Thread starter jcp429
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas my fellow T Bird owners. Before I purchased my 2004 T Bird
in Aug I spent 5 weeks reading in detail issues on this particular model on
this very website to make sure I was not buying a problem year model. Despite the COPS issue and the battery issue I felt comfortable in my purchase for the fact that so many of you out there had valuable insight and
recommendations. For that I thank you. My T Bird (rather my wife's) has on
11,200 miles on it and is a daily driver (less than a mile to work each way)
No problems as we have taken it to dinner as late as last nite.
Taking advantage of this mild day temperature wise I backed the Bird out to wash and returned it to its garage. Several hours later my wife was going to the store but the T Bird will NOT start. It turns over strong but will not fire.
Figure its not a COPS issue because it would miss during operation. Am I correct? Leads me to believe this is a fuel problem possible fuel pump issue??
Any thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated. Many thanks-John.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

jcp, Welcome!! Not sure if this will help, but there is supposed to be a switch ( I think a reset switch) down on the left of drtivers foot against the side where your toes may rest. Possiblt look in the manual for it's placement.
Let us know how you make out

Did some swearching and here's what I found:

FUEL PUMP SHUT OFF -"there is an automatic shutoff that is intended to stop the electric fuel pump when there is a substantial jolt to the car or if you are in an accident. The engine will crank but not start if the shut-off switch has been activated.
In the 2002 owners manual there is info on page 152. The switch is located in the driver's foot well behind the kick panel. The reset button is RED and should be found through an opening in that kick panel."

BTW,. this doesn't mean that this is your specific problem. No jolt but maybe a power surge could cause it. I'll keep looking though.

Last edited:
Another thought....if you just backed out and it really was not warmed/hot and you washed it and put back in, it could be COPS. Since the engine was not hot enough to disapate the water.
If you look for the COPS, always try the side where the windshield wiper moter is first. That seems to be where the water gets in from, if you have that type of issue.

George. Many thanks for the insights. I've read your posts before. My first inclination was possible fuse for fuel pump which I switched but still no start.Then I decided to put my battery charger on the battery and it read 50% even though I only attempted to start the car 4 times during the afternoon. Will wait until full charge and try again thinking possibly not enough juice to initiate fuel pump was the issue. Present battery is relatively new but only rated 650 cca. Since my bird has all the bells and whistles I was considering new battery install with increased cca. Your thoughts.
Also will let you know on your suggestions. Kind regards-John

For anyone interested here's the data on the fuel switch cutoff, attached

Also John, for what it's worth, even though you have all bells and whistles, they are not always on all the time, so I'm not sure a heavy duty would be worth the expense, if it's a lot more. Just another opinion.

Last edited:
George. I pulled the battery and had tested before I expensed out new battery cost. (Ford does have a 750 CCA if I wanted to upgrade but no need)
Had car hauled to shop on flatbead. Mechanic called and said car has started
everytime since yesterday afternoon and this morning. Go figure!!. He is still going to try to run a diagnostic. Unbelievable. I wonder if the jostling on the car hauler had anything to do with it starting. I'd spit on a spark plug if I thought it would help...John

John: Sounds like an electrical short now. Maybe while they have it they should jostle it around manually to see if that will show up anything - Good Luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS

......Hi...Sounds like it's not the original battery..Proper battery replacements are few for the T-Bird outside of the OEM FORD Spec. as the battery needs to be vented.....Just so you know.....

George. I pulled the battery and had tested before I expensed out new battery cost. (Ford does have a 750 CCA if I wanted to upgrade but no need)
Had car hauled to shop on flatbead. Mechanic called and said car has started
everytime since yesterday afternoon and this morning. Go figure!!. He is still going to try to run a diagnostic. Unbelievable. I wonder if the jostling on the car hauler had anything to do with it starting. I'd spit on a spark plug if I thought it would help...John

Spitting won't help. Now, throw in a few cuss words, and that ALWAYS WORKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back