spare tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

rolleyes.gif
Sorry to say, but it's a donut without the coffee.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Remember the T-Bird has HUGE wheels... not only does it use 17 inch rims, but they're wider than most tires.

A full sized spare would be out of the question with wheels like this.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

The LS8 with the sport pkg including 17 inch
wheels and performance tires had a full
size matching spare under the truck
compartment.

The tires have seen on the bird
are all weather and appear much smaller
than the LS.

It just seems a full spare could have
been placed in the car.

TBIRDII is correct - the tire is too large for the trunk. Would be nice if Ford or outside supplier designed a smooth flowing "retro" Conny Kit for the spare tire. My '57 has one, and there are a lot of years in which the Kit really makes the car - For a lot of Ford cars (T-Birds, Fairlanes, Mercurys and Lincolns) from the late fifties and early sixties this was the "hot" setup.

TBIRDII is correct - the tire is too large for the trunk. Would be nice if Ford or outside supplier designed a smooth flowing "retro" Conny Kit for the spare tire. My '57 has one, and there are a lot of years in which the Kit really makes the car - For a lot of Ford cars (T-Birds, Fairlanes, Mercurys and Lincolns) from the late fifties and early sixties this was the "hot" setup.

Both the LS Sport and the TBird have the same size tires and wheels (P235/50VR17).The LS Sport has a full size spare. Looking at both lower truck areas it appears they are the same size. I will check tonight but I think a full size spare may fit.
Ed
TRIPLE BLACK #4430

tongue.gif
This is really a no brainer for those that want to do it. Just remove one of your wheels and see if it fits into the trunk well. It doesn't really concern me too much. Haven't had a flat in 20 yrs.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

-

I saw a Ford video in which a dealer asked if the car would get a full sized spare, and Nancy Gioia said a full size would fit, but that a space saver would be standard. The full size would be an owner upgrade.

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium
Thunderbird Blue/Blue/Partial

The spare is full diameter tire and wheel. The width of the tire is about 80% of the full size.
The above do not make the spare a donut, but a downsized full tire/wheel.
The front brake calipers probalbly required this size spare as a minimum. If cat380 posts today we will all find out the answer.
If not, tomorrow I will try a NM wheel I have in storage in the trunk space.

------------------
'56 + NM '02 Birds
'98F250'
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'01 Olds Aurora 4.0

-

I have the video that Birdbrain referred to. It says that the full size spare would be an owner option, that is if you want to buy an extra wheel and tire, it would fix in the spare well.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

Spare? Call the Ford road side assistance service. Its included in the price of the car.

Unless your in the bush somewhere, why bother with a full blown spare, its not like your going to drive 100 miles if you do end up getting a flat.

Good point. Even if it could fit a full sized spare, you still wouldn't want to drive it more than a few miles to get the origial fixed.

In my case with my NM wheels, I would need to buy a $650 wheel to drive around with if I wanted to keep one in my trunk.

A full sized spare is only useful if it's intended to replace the one you are driving with, and avoid re-mounting the one that gets a flat.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back