Sirius Radio Installation | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Sirius Radio Installation

• Thread starter Thread starter borchcp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

borchcp

Reaction score
I installed the Sirius radio upgrade kit in my '04 T'Bird. It is relatively easy. I went to the Ford dealer, but they wanted $600 for the part plus installation. I then went to the company which makes the stock radio Ford uses in the Thunderbird, Southern Electronics (800-476-2880 ), and bought the Sirius satellite upgrade kit from them for $309 delivered. Here is the web site for the upgrade kit if you are interested: http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mobile_electronics/products/satellite_radio/index.shtml

Anyone having any questions with installation, I'd be more than happy to help.

First, put the key in the ignition, and move the gear shifter all the way back to 1st gear. This will give you more room when you slide the radio out.

Then, disconnect the negative battery cable and keep it disconnected until everything is finished.

Simply slide out the center vents, they are just wedged in.

You'll see two bolts holding the top of the radio in place. Remove them.

Then pop-out the arm rest console; its easy to remove.

Then pop-out the blank-cover below the cigarette lighter and accessory outlet.

Remove the two bolts holding the cigarette lighter and accessory outlet and slide it out to the driver's side to get it out of the way.

Finally, remove the bottom two bolts holding the radio in place and slide it out as far as it will come.

Wiring harness connection -- only 2 connections into the backof the radio. Remove the original wiring harness connector going in to the left back side of the radio, plug it into the new wiring harness connector provided, and connect the new wiring harness into the back of the radio. Then, find the right size new wiring harness connector and snap it into the one unused slot in the back of the radio. That should leave one connector on the new harness which remains unused. Lastly, connect the other end of the wiring harness into the Sirius radio upgrade kit.

Run the antenna where you want to put it, and connect it to the Sirius radio upgrade kit. I placed the antenna on my dashboard, which works fine.

I used velcro and mounted the Sirius radio upgrade kit behind the glove box.

Then reverse the process and reinstall everything, reconnecting the battery LAST.

Enjoy!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

For those that want the take anywhere models, there are code floating around for cheap Sirius radios from the main web site http://www.sirius.com

Or you could get this and pay 6.99/month for an additional tuner for your house.

112 was one.

I think also 121, or 123, or 112, or 111

one of them gives the whole shebang for 49.00 with 1 year of service.

Last edited:
tbird said:
For those that want the take anywhere models, there are code floating around for cheap Sirius radios from the main web site http://www.sirus.com

Or you could get this and pay 6.99/month for an additional tuner for your house.

112 was one.

I think also 121, or 123, or 112, or 111

one of them gives the whole shebang for 49.00 with 1 year of service.

It appears you left an "i" out of your URL.... did you mean to post http://www.sirius.com ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back