Shopping for an 04!

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Carefully eying this right now:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/ford-thunderbird-hardtop/6493907673.html

Went to go test drive it - car started and ran very well. Very smooth shifts, no gear banging. Mechanic who is selling it also did most of the work on it and had bought it from the previous owner when it needed some coolant system work

Overall the car is clean, and looks like it was maintained well. The only thing throwing a red flag is the mechanic mentioned that he put a bigger alternator in and now the battery light comes on when you start the car UNLESS you blip the throttle slightly after it starts - after that no problems... Thoughts on that?

Anything else I should be looking closely at?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not an expert - don't alternators sometimes have to be polarized when first installed? Perhaps something is causing it to have to re-polarize at startup? (Frequently I have no idea what I'm talking about!)

The only thing throwing a red flag is the mechanic mentioned that he put a bigger alternator in and now the battery light comes on when you start the car UNLESS you blip the throttle slightly after it starts - after that no problems... Thoughts on that?

Anything else I should be looking closely at?

If he's a mechanic, why not put in the correct alternator? No way I would buy that car when another one may not have those issues. Everyone selling used cars always has an excuse for why warning lights are on and why it's supposedly no big deal.

My 04 (black) is for sale. Clean. No issues. 2nd owner. 35k orig. mi. Contact me for details.

Back