Rollbar | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Rollbar

• Thread starter Thread starter tbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Roll Bar

Does the Tbird have an aftermarket roll bar available? I've heard they can save your live in the case of it landing on it's top.

Tbird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

See the "Accidents will Happen" thread. Personally, I wouldn't mess up the looks of the car with one. I grew up with a convertible in the house (63-1/2 Galaxie, red on red, with a 390 Thunderbird engine), and I regard it as an acceptable risk. For me anyway. Evidently, the people who rolled the car out here in Washington survived. I know someone who rolled a Datsun 2000 roadster with 2 passengers crammed in, and the only injury was a bruised and cut finger on the driver.

-

jodrod, I won't say any thing BUT this is a good open topic. Enough said.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/18 Delivery Date SOON!!

Well Gary, then not only should Ford's lawyers be sweating, but also GM's and DCX's. None of the Chevy, Pontiac, or Chrysler convertibles have rollbars either. But I'm sure your concern stems from the fact that since you believe the TBird handles so poorly that it is likely to rollover.

In my opinion, they look terrible. I'm willing to take the risk of my car rolling over and have a nicer looking car.

Originally posted by Gary Whitaker:
BMW convertibles come with a rollover protection system, which are hidden bars behind the rear seats that automatically pop up when the car senses the possibility of a rollover. I am surprised the T Bird doesn't have it. If I was one of Ford's lawyers I would be sweating.

Good thing you aren't a lawyer, you would suck. The risk is obvious, therefore they are not liable. Just like if you buy pitted fruits and break a tooth on it, the risk is there, and known, and you WILL NOT collect in court.

So should Trojan lawyers be "sweating" if a condom breaks?

Tbird

Originally posted by Gary Whitaker:
BMW convertibles come with a rollover protection system, which are hidden bars behind the rear seats that automatically pop up when the car senses the possibility of a rollover.

This system rocks!

Tbird

jodrod, it is sooo hard to lay off a fastball right down the middle of the plate, which is what you just threw out there....but we will not make any nasty comments about GW or his dearth of clients or his negative personality, or....,or........,or.....,

Sorry, it was early and not all brain cells were engaged yet.
frown.gif

-

BMW Z3 convertibles suck. They need rollover protection to spare the weekend warriors who think they are somehow qualified drive like James Bond because their stinkin cars were in a movie.

Gary, just playing man. BMW Z3's rule...and monkeys...

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

I still laugh my a$$ off whenever Gary posts.

He must REALLY have too much time on his hands. No lawyer work???

He hates the car SOOO much, but yet hangs around.

What a .... OPPS almost a personal attack.

I'm quiet now.

Gary, I agree that the assumption of risk argument probably wouldn't fly. However, I think an M3 would look even better without the rollbar. A TBird with a rollbar would absolutely ruin its appearance.

-

Does anyone else remember reading during the car's development that the windshield was designed to prevent collapse in a roll-over? In that case, it has a roll bar, but in the front of the seating area, rather than behind. I am sure mention was made that the windshield structure was stronger than a typical convertible.

I also am interested in whether the windshied posts were reinforced for additional protection in a rollover scenario. Anyone with additional information?

Couldn't find anything about windshield frame reinforcement, but the eSourcebook has this to say about the removable hardtop:
For added head protection in a collision, the Removable Top meets federal head-impact requirements that normally apply only to vehicles with a permanent roof structure. This was accomplished partly by the use of energy-absorbing foam that was molded inside the removable top's trim. In addition, attachments for the top are designed to prevent it from being launched in an impact. The design uses a secure pin-and-bolt system at the two front attachment points and two clamps at the rear.

Hi guys, Im new to this board, just purchased my 02, and was wondering if anyone has any rollbar / rollcage support for our cars yet? Thanks for the bandwidth 🙂

Does anyone have any info on aftermarket or add-on rollbars otherwise? Im really interested in protecting myself from a rollover and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any vendors. Thanks 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back