Ride of '56 versus '02

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother and I were discussing the improvements made on the '02 bird and he commented that the comparison between the rides of the '56 and '02 was very dramatic.

For those of you who own both, what's your comment on the differences and/or similarities between the birds?

I know there are a few of us who are not happy with the water leakage similarity.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Both get looks from ALL age groups, something few cars on the planet get.
The areodynamics of the NewBird are such an improvement. The large wheels and brakes, the extra power overhead cams with 4 valves/ cyl and fuel injection make her 21st century!
Cornering and accleration are so improved on the NewBird as is the electric softtop, 12 seconds, no more seat rubbing, backbreaking work and a glass window-with defrost,wow no more yellowing plastic that tears!
The safety features of the 02 are the reason this Fireman is going to feel better behind the wheel at freeway speeds or going thru busy intersections. My 56 had the best safety package in 1956 but with drum brakes, lap belt, semi padded dash and soo much beautiful chrome and raised instrumentation, any crash in a 56 is going to hurt me more than I would want.
People ask if I am scared to drive my NM 02 Bird, I reply, I'm scared not to. The days I don't drive the '02 are not as fun as the days I do.
The spare tire, if I travel with it, is so easy to get to. No continental kit to take apart. It is so easy to fuel the 02 up, with the 56 I had to lower the cont. kit and open the trunk, so as not to scratch the paint.
The stereo is one of the best Ford has ever offered and a CD player to boot.
I could go on and on but these are a few of the comps.

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

Ditto to FDCaptain.

Actually, I am still amazed at how comfortable the '56 is, even for an older 6'2" person. However, the '02 is really comfortable, and has the better braking and handling. And power, of course, tho the '56 could get up and go.

Would you believe that 3 of us traveled from Houston to New Jersey in the '56 to report for army duty. The guy in the center of the bench seat was always designated to drive next. Never any problem getting a driver change.

The spare tire one the '56 was always a hassle. I am going to find a donut spare to carry in the trunk so I don't have to manhandle that steel clad spare.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White

Originally posted by rt2esq:
My brother and I were discussing the improvements made on the '02 bird and he commented that the comparison between the rides of the '56 and '02 was very dramatic.

For those of you who own both, what's your comment on the differences and/or similarities between the birds?

I know there are a few of us who are not happy with the water leakage similarity.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

I have driven used 60's cars and I do not see how you could make a comparison to a new car, especially the steering and response. I about wrecked the first 65 Ford Mustang I drove over to get appraised. You got a workout just turning the wheel to get on a sidestreet. That was the day I decided, that although they look nice, they do not have the benefits of a modern car. Each to his own.

Tbird

TBird, I totally agree with you. I drove a '57 TBird about twenty years ago looking to buy it because I loved the styling. I did not like the way it drove...the big steering wheel , the unresponsive steering, the relatively uncomfortable interior/seats. I said to myself that I don't understand why Ford can't build one withe the styling of the original Birds but the modern technology and creature comforts of today. Well, 20 years later, guess what?? And that's why I have been waitning for 3 years for this wonderful car.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue/premium on order: 10 of 18

joelja, you want a hand full, try parking my 69 vette with no power steering and no power brakes with wider then stock tires. Wife won't drive it. Although that is not all bad.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

Gobird,

What engine do you have in the Vette? My sister-in-law and here husband used to have a '69 with the 427 tripower. He managed a Firestone store and had Firestone Indys on theirs. What a beast, just barely steet legal, they used to autocross it at club events. They had an event one year at Sebring and he took me for a few hot laps, blew my socks off. Got to drive it once when I was about 17 yrs. old, talk about hog heaven.
biggrin.gif

They must have made some good improvements in the power steering units since 93. I'm getting ready to place a manual close-ratio rack and pinion in my 93 LX-the power unit is just too doggone twitchy for me. I found a kit through Holcomb Motorsports that includes everything needed for the swap, including a special bracket and idler pulley that are placed where the power steering pump/reservoir unit would go, allowing you to keep the regular serpentine belt length-for $400.

------------------

I think you are right about the unfairness associated with comparing the ride and functioning of the motor. I was just curious how those of you who are lucky enough to have both birds feel about them and why.

I imagine that the old classic is just great to admire for lots of reasons. I thought there might be a way to compare them but probably, for once, am simply at a loss for words.

I am planning on driving an old T-Bird in the next few months.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

jodrod, well my vette has the smallest engine put in that year. It's ONLY a 350-300hp. But it does have factory side pipes and a cam that's not quite stock. Runs pretty good and at 10mpg. don't think I need the big block. That's plenty of power for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back