Review- Toyo Extensa tires 2003 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Review- Toyo Extensa tires 2003

• Thread starter Thread starter Sharps40
  • Start date Start date
S
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Been going over the new to me 2003 I purchased last month. Mostly in great shape and 70K miles now. I charged up the AC, works grand now and found a spot in the den to store the hard top for the summer. Original soft top is perfect and I'm loving the car.

Shook the heck out of me though so went over the tires. Naturally, the spare is 17 years old. Falkens on the rear were 12 years old each and hard and dry cracked. Tigerpaws on the front were 2 years and 7 years old respectively, the 7 year old dry cracked but not hard. So, off to the shop with Pappa Trump's gift money.

Purchased 4 Toyo Extensa tires with balance and a full front and rear alignment/inspection. Minor adjustments to front and rear toe only. All suspension parts good. Got the Bird out on the road yesterday and today, smooth sailing. Pushed the car over 100, no more shake, just smooth.

You can feel when the VVT solenoids kick in, the power on these comes on really fast. But, whether tires (Extensa is rated T, 118 mph) or just wear in the suspension, the car started to float and became too light at 105 so I let it off. Surprisingly (or perhaps not), after driving so many cinder block shaped vehicles, sure does take a long time for the Bird to coast back to 70 mph. Just slips through the wind.

Loving this car, much more than the Nissan Xterra I have been saddled with by the wife. (a Butt ugly Brown called desert stone and only a 2wd that my wife looked at and test drove at night in the rain and then promptly gave it to me when she decided she'd rather have a new jeep) Lesson learned, wife no longer picks the cars.

Prolly won't ever see the Century mark in the Bird again, but nice to know its probably got a capability to live up to the 160 mph speedometer in the right hands and not just a show piece.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, I always go for "top of the line" Michelin tires too and everyone I knows feels they are the one of the safest and very long lasting tires (of, course that is rotating them every 5k and checking their pressure every month.) However, I do not think I will ever be tempted of go over 100 again as life is too short!

Yes, I always go for "top of the line" Michelin tires too and everyone I knows feels they are the one of the safest and very long lasting tires (of, course that is rotating them every 5k and checking their pressure every month.) However, I do not think I will ever be tempted of go over 100 again as life is too short!

When I bought mine 3 years ago, mine still had the original Michelin Pilots on mine.. I bought it from a dealer and the tires were deemed dry rot by the inspecting mechanic.. So the dealer put a new set of Continental Extreme Conatact on it.. They ride and perform fine but I feel are susceptible to flat spots.. After a week or two in the garage a=t normal tire inflation of 31-32 psi I have to drive for about 2 or 3 miles for them to smooth out.. When I store it over the winter I over inflate them to 45 psi and when i go and warm it up in the winter or take the bird for it's first ride it's a smooth ride but hard because of the 45psi.. As soon as i get the all. clear on the salt covered roads then I drop the tire inflation back down to the specified 31 or 32 psi .. I been thinking of trying to run them at 34-35 psi to see if that helps with the flat spots..

Last edited by a moderator:

I had my 2002 out on Watkins Glen International Raceway last spring (one year ago last week) during their opening weekend and I got mine up to about 90 mph or so.. I had to cut into the "bus stop" part of the end of the back stretch and I thought I was going to loose it in the chicane turn but Tbird held in there and better yet so did I.. What I thought was neet was the rubber residue from track and the tires that was on my car after the 3 laps.. This years opening weekend was postponed till who knows when because of Covid 19 virus.. Enjoy your car.. My wife and I love our '02 Sunday driver..
FB_IMG_1587161459218.jpgFB_IMG_1587162414261.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The toyos seem for this mostly under 70 mph driver. 70k mile warranty doesn't hurt either. And the shop is good, $75 to check and align both front and rear.

Been going over the new to me 2003 I purchased last month. Mostly in great shape and 70K miles now. I charged up the AC, works grand now and found a spot in the den to store the hard top for the summer. Original soft top is perfect and I'm loving the car.

Shook the heck out of me though so went over the tires. Naturally, the spare is 17 years old. Falkens on the rear were 12 years old each and hard and dry cracked. Tigerpaws on the front were 2 years and 7 years old respectively, the 7 year old dry cracked but not hard. So, off to the shop with Pappa Trump's gift money.

Purchased 4 Toyo Extensa tires with balance and a full front and rear alignment/inspection. Minor adjustments to front and rear toe only. All suspension parts good. Got the Bird out on the road yesterday and today, smooth sailing. Pushed the car over 100, no more shake, just smooth.

You can feel when the VVT solenoids kick in, the power on these comes on really fast. But, whether tires (Extensa is rated T, 118 mph) or just wear in the suspension, the car started to float and became too light at 105 so I let it off. Surprisingly (or perhaps not), after driving so many cinder block shaped vehicles, sure does take a long time for the Bird to coast back to 70 mph. Just slips through the wind.

Loving this car, much more than the Nissan Xterra I have been saddled with by the wife. (a Butt ugly Brown called desert stone and only a 2wd that my wife looked at and test drove at night in the rain and then promptly gave it to me when she decided she'd rather have a new jeep) Lesson learned, wife no longer picks the cars.

Prolly won't ever see the Century mark in the Bird again, but nice to know its probably got a capability to live up to the 160 mph speedometer in the right hands and not just a show piece.
What size were the Toyo you bought. I have a 2004 and am thinking about getting new rubber. Thanks

My cuz took me for a ride in his Shelby 500 - hit 143 on a straight stretch. That's moving!

Many tires are not USA made anymore, even the name brands, and the quality is suffering. I recently had three trailer tires, in as many months, come apart, 5 years old, half tread, all China made.

Last edited:
Back