Retro TBird stolen and crashed - 2002 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Retro TBird stolen and crashed - 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter Frankie the Fink
  • Start date Start date
Frankie the Fink

Frankie the Fink

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
One thief in jail and the other in the hospital - stolen from a repair shop.
Everybody should double-check their insurance coverage !!
image_53317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not sure why check your insurance. The liability falls on the repair garage's Auto Garage Liability Insurance Policy while in their "Care and Custody". (38 years in the Commercial Insurance Industry)

Not sure why check your insurance. The liability falls on the repair garage's Auto Garage Liability Insurance Policy while in their "Care and Custody". (38 years in the Commercial Insurance Industry)
The point was (especially in the case of my cited accident) that ANYthing can happen and you should be covered...
And some of these less stellar repair shops may be operating on a shoestring and not be covered - I was in the used car business for a while and its not uncommon... Big dealers and large restoration shops - no problem. Others maybe not.

Your insurance company would cover the loss and make the car owner whole, then seek damages against the business or the principles of the business. It would be covered under your Comprehensive coverage. None the less, it's important to deal with a reputable garage or franchise car dealer. The whole situation is a bummer none the less.

A Ford Thunderbird crashed into a tree at 1021 32nd Ave S in Moorhead on Monday, June 22. The vehicle caught fire and firefighters had to extinguish it. News Staff

MOORHEAD — The driver of a Ford Thunderbird that crashed into two trees before starting on fire Monday morning, June 22, in Moorhead has been arrested, police said in a news release.
Officers arrested Sabastijan Tahirovic, 27, of Fargo after the early morning crash on suspicion of possessing stolen property, the Moorhead Police Department said. Investigators believe he was driving a car with a female passenger inside around 4:45 a.m. when the vehicle left the roadway in the 1000 block of 32nd Avenue South, according to the release.
The vehicle then struck two trees and started on fire, police said. Fire crews extinguished flames that started in the Ford Thunderbird.
The passenger and Tahirovic were taken to a hospital for injuries that were not life-threatening, according to police.
The investigation is ongoing.

From- https://www.inforum.com/news/accide...hes-fire-after-crashing-into-tree-in-Moorhead

Car catches fire after crashing into tree in Moorhead.jpg

Your insurance company would cover the loss and make the car owner whole, then seek damages against the business or the principles of the business. It would be covered under your Comprehensive coverage. None the less, it's important to deal with a reputable garage or franchise car dealer. The whole situation is a bummer none the less.
Okay, let's say you have comprehensive coverage and the car was stolen from your driveway. I have $1k deductible and the ins co would only pay me depreciated book value, say $5k. Sad result. My great car is gone and I only got $4k, right? Just asking,,,,

Okay, let’s say you have your car insured with Hagerty with an agreed value of $18,500.

Last edited:
Since we're on the subject of value.... Check Kelley Blue Book online. Would give an idea of what it's worth. The insurance company would use a similar reference for claims. Just did, kind of disappointing🙁

Since we're on the subject of value.... Check Kelley Blue Book online. Would give an idea of what it's worth. The insurance company would use a similar reference for claims. Just did, kind of disappointing🙁
It always is disappointing, agreed. I’m just saying that if the car is low mileage, collector car insurance with a reputable company that allows an agreed upon value with an agreed upon low annual mileage is a better situation. If it’s a higher mileage daily driver that doesn’t fit the criteria for that kind of insurance, one is, how you say, “screwed” if the worst should happen.

That's what I mean. They are worth more to us than to the ins writers, sadly. I imagine the premium for an agreed upon high figure would not be cheap. Thanks for the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to follow up, my 2004 with 35,759 miles, declared value of $18,000 policy with Hagerty cost $561, including $136 for their premium towing package. (I used to have a 1960 Metropolitan on the same policy, and I needed the extra coverage. Boy how I needed it. Ha ha.) I’ve agreed to drive the car less than 2,000 miles a year, so that pulls the cost down a lot, I’m sure. Plus I’m over 65. If I was younger, using it to commute and put 12-15,000 miles a year on it, I probably wouldn’t opt for the guaranteed value. It might not even be on the table in that case. Anyway, have a good day my friends. Stay safe.

That was a pretty good hit, which is right by the fuel pressure system, wreck most likely broke a line, and fire
went towards the interior.

That's what I mean. They are worth more to us than to the ins writers, sadly. I imagine the premium for an agreed upon high figure would not be cheap. Thanks for the discussion.
Wrong - if you get a classic car insurance policy you can set the agreed upon value - mine is at $18,000 for the 2002 TBird - a bit over $270/year premium (depending on driving record, etc). There are restrictions though - such as having ANOTHER car as your daily driver and staying under 6.000 miles annually and it has to be garaged at your primary residence... I get a multi-car discount so that factors into the premium...

Here is the full Video-

I have collector car insurance on both my T Birds, agreed value of $20k each, max
of 3000 miles per year each car, garage kept, and have other car as daily driver.
Premium is only $189 per car per year. I did have to send pictures to start insurance.

Be advised rates will vary by state; Central Florida has the highest rate of uninsured drivers in the country, not the state, the COUNTRY...its just below 1 in 3. Only Mississippi even comes close at 20.3%

A little lesson on uninsured motorist coverage:

Back