Remove and replace plugs/coils | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Remove and replace plugs/coils

• Thread starter Thread starter George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Passed Away July 25, 2015
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I am attaching a pdf file that was posted elsewhere this morning on the web. It shows how to do this. It is important to note that it also tells how/where to apply a specialty grease to keep the water out.

Edited:
Sorry, I am not allowed to attach anything. I have reached my limit. However, if you PM me your email addresses, with subject " R&R Coils, I'll send a copy of the file to you.

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Dave:
I am emailing the pdf file to you as we speak. Also, I found a place that sells coils for $48. if that's any deal. I will go find that data and edit this message later with it.
EDITING:
$42.07 for coils can be found at motorhead site

Also BTW, I know a guy who is having heavy duty coils made for the aftermarket. The Lincoln LS has had, probably, more COP issues then the TBIrds have so he is currently testing a HD Coil now. If accepted they plan to move into the TBird coils, if these do not work for us. I'll keep you posted. Here is the original posting I made
http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/showthread~t~3262~highlight~coils+COPS.htm

Last edited:
Here is the file I promised to attach, a while back, for removing and replacing coils.
I had emailed it to Dave but as our cars get older many others may want to have this fileas well.

George,
I am a new member looking for information on my 2003 t-bird. When replacing the ignition coils do all 8 of the coils need to be replaced or is there a way of determining which is malfunctioning?

Kathy

I think, and George can verify, that the COPs on the 2003s have a special extended factory warranty until 100,000 miles.

EDIT: P.S. To answer your question the computer error code tells you which one is misfiring. Im in the Chicago area and here we have AutoZone stores that will read the code for you for free. But if you have less than 100,000 miles on your Tbird let the dealer do it.

Last edited:
All coils do not need to be replaced, and the test will identify which one is acting up.
Quickdraw is correct. If it's '03 you have an extended warranty. I cannot attach a copy of that letter here or even PM it to you.
So if you want to PM me your email address I'll try to get it to you that way. Otherwise just go to a Ford dealer. They should know that you have an extended warranty up to 100,000 miles for the coils-on-plugs (COPS).

Last edited:
jps:
I was finally able to post that document. Go to post number 4 above and click on the PDF file and you should be all set. Let me know.
Also sent an email but it bounced back:
The original message was received at Tue, 3 Jun 2008 11:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
from WPIS-64-140-240-126.worldpath.net [64.140.240.126]
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<pedstarr1@kelcom.iqs.net>
(reason: 550 Host unknown)
----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.1.2 <pedstarr1@kelcom.iqs.net>... Host unknown (Name server: kelcom.iqs.net: host not found)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back