Rear Axle Problem | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Rear Axle Problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Bully
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I purchased my new 2003 T-Bird from the largest Ford dealership in Georgia (I'm sure you all have seen the commercial). The car is garaged and has 11,500 miles and is only driven on weekends when it's good weather. Recently I discovered that while driving my car at 40 mph there was a somewhat loud rumbling noise coming from the rear axle. I took my car into the dealership on 19 October 2004 and they discovered that the entire rear end had to be replaced. It has been 22 days and the dealership is still waiting to receive the part for my car. How is it that a car that was purchased new and is only 1 year old and which is hardly ever driven has to have an entire new rear end? 😡 Are there any other T-Bird owners with similar problems?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Rear Axle

Get this! I have a 2003 MSG that I bought last October with 600 miles on it. I had a roaring noise in the rear end at 40 mph. The dealer replaced the rear end (total axle) then called and said that it still wasn't right and ordered another complete axle. It was then replaced for the second time (making three total). It is still not totally quiet but much better than before. I am thinking about taking it back again. Makes me think about trading it for something else.

.....I wonder if your cars are from the same run or same axle batch.....and whether there is a TSB on this problem....Ford should have an explanation for you.......

I too have experienced the axle whine you have described on my 2004 Tbird with 2400 miles. It occurs anywhere from 38-43 mph. At other speeds there is no whine. I did look up the diagnostics section in the my Ford Thunderbird Service Manual on CD and it reads as follows:

Noise Acceptability

A gear-driven unit will produce a certain amount of noise. Some noise is acceptable and audible at certain speeds or under various driving conditions such as a newly paved blacktop road. Slight noise is not detrimental to the operation of the axle and is considered normal.

I am reluctant to take it to a dealer and perhaps ending up with a much worse condition such as previously described in an earlier thread.

Hello to all, the dealer replaced the original axle with a brand new one from the factory and so far I have not experienced any more noise. I would only suggest that you really think about having it checked out on your car before your warranty expires because something like this is rather expensive if you have to pay for it out of your own pocket.

Thank you for your reply.

Bully

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I am an LS owner but knew that the Tbird shares the same chassis and thought I would check to see if any of you have had rear diff problems. I just bought a used LS Sport and it appears that the rear diff has a problem. It is roaring pretty loud upon accel. There are only a few people that have posted about this kind of problem (other than the half shaft problems that many have) and it seems everyone had the rear replaced! OUCH! I have no warranty.

Has anyone had any work done to their diff besides replacement? I would feel comfortable with replacing half-shafts and wheel hub/bearings, but when it comes to the ring and pinion... 🙁

I am also amazed at how the interiors of our cars share so much! It looks like we have all the same problems too.

Thanks,
Don

2004 rear Axle

I had my rear axle on my 04 T-Bird replaced at 4,800 miles due to noise at 40 MPH. I now have 8,200 miles and the noise has returned. I was told by the Service Manager that I will usually have a slight noise around 40 due to the design of the rear axle. Ford is aware of it and there is no solution.

I will say this the noise is much better than before. With the exception of the axle noice, WE LOVE THE CAR. I guess I will need to turn up the radio a little louder.

I am the Fleet/Internet Director for a Ford store in AZ and my Serice Manager said he would let me know if Ford come up with a fix. If I hear anything I will pass it on to you guys!

Gerry

2003 Rear Axle

I have a 2003 and the rear axle has been replaced twice. I now have 13,000 miles and the noise has retrned. It is not as bad as it was but I still don't like it. I will probably take it back again. Thanks Guys

I ended up rebuilding my rear diff. I replaced the bearings and seals. Good learning experience. Totally silent now. We don't know what caused the bearing failure though. That carrier was in there tight though! Maybe the pre-load on the bearings was a little tight. We'll see how it goes!

Now on to the front end suspension noise. 🙂

It sounds like extended warranties are a must....do any of you who have posted have these? Planning on it? 😕

George said:
It sounds like extended warranties are a must....do any of you who have posted have these? Planning on it? 😕

Here is my 2 cents. Extended warranties are only a must for people who are broke and don't have any money in the bank.

As I have said before, obviously the law of mathematics is in favor of the warranty company, because they are in business to make money. Financial guru Dave Ramsey http://www.daveramsey.com strongly advises AGAINST extended warranties, of course, he also recommends not purchasing brand new either. ;-)

Repairing a car is not that expensive, especially if you negotiate and get quotes, and quite frankly you can get the Ford service DVD on ebay and fix the little stuff yourself. My fan switch went out on my 2001 Sable and I fixed it myself.

One last thing, based upon my experience in the automotive industry, despite the intentions of most new car buyers when they get a car, MOST of them get tired of the car before it's paid for or the extended warranty runs out. Most people get new car fever after 3 years, sometimes sooner.

George said:

I don't. If you take your car to a dealer, it is going to be expensive though.

Common LS repairs:

Valve cover replacement and coil replacements
Ball Joints
Transmission repairs
Fuel Pumps and REM replacement
Climate Control Module replacement
Cooling Fan pump and hydraulic system (Tbird might be electric and not have this funkly system) ?

All very expensive repairs. We broke even on the warranty for our Oldsmobile Intrigue. It was in the dealer several times. I just didn't want to work on that FWD car, so it was worth it to me to have the warranty that also gave my wife a loaner car.

Search the LS forums for $$$ amounts on these repairs. Most LS owners drive their cars over the average mileage amount so you get to see what happens to those cars first.

We got the extended warrenty, 7 years-75,000 miles with a $100 deductable, for $1650 and everything that is covered by the new car warrenty is covered by it. Hubby said we would keep the car because it was going to be a classic and we could pass it down to the kids. He is 60 and says he doesn't feel like getting under a car ever again, 🙂 so it sounds like replacing the rear end would cost about as much as the policy, or sure make a dent in it. We will probably be happy with the decision.

Tarre said:
We got the extended warrenty, 7 years-75,000 miles with a $100 deductable, for $1650 and everything that is covered by the new car warrenty is covered by it. Hubby said we would keep the car because it was going to be a classic and we could pass it down to the kids. He is 60 and says he doesn't feel like getting under a car ever again, 🙂 so it sounds like replacing the rear end would cost about as much as the policy, or sure make a dent in it. We will probably be happy with the decision.

If hubby doesn't want to get under the car you'd better try to keep him from hearing the Borla exhaust system for the Thunderbird.... the Borla website says they don't make 2005 system but in fact the 2003-2005 systems are identical and the part number is 140081. If you get a chance to hear one - (it's mildly louder than stock) and you want a system I can direct you to a place to buy it for $725 + shipping.

This is the system: http://borla.com/applications/looku...rbird/Stainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/140081/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back