Radio Problem? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Radio Problem?

• Thread starter Thread starter Quickdraw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickdraw

Quickdraw

2004 Member of the Year
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
One of the features of the 2002-2005 radios is the ability to display the artist and song title for those stations that broadcast the data. To set your radio hit the menu button (three times for the 2002) until it displays SHOW NONE, or SHOW TYPE or SHOW NAME. After you get one of those three options you can hit SEL to rotate through the choices. SHOW TYPE will display JAZZ, ROCK, etc but the problem with my SHOW NAME is it will rotate the artist name, title and maybe the radio call letters for only a minutes or two then will freeze. Like you might be listening to Elvis and it still displays Led Zepplin. If you click to another station and then back it will resume rotating the name & title but will again freeze after a minute or so.

Did they fix this for 2003 & up? Has anyone requested a new radio to correct this? Did you even know the radio did this? I would really like to have this work correctly but am afraid of the service people taking the center stack apart, maybe scratching something, maybe cause a rattle, etc. My warranty runs out in mid-December while the car is in storage and any problems the service people cause may not be evident until spring when I’m out of warranty.

Has anyone had their radio replaced for this minor glitch?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

QUICKDRAW

I know that my radio does this on a 2003 and 2005 Bird. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I think I need to read the instruction book as you can turn this feature off. When on, some of my stations do work as you say , others do not. I will live with it as is, for the same reason---- scratching the dash and center console for radio removal. I know this did not fully answer your question. Best I can do.
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis,
To turn the feature off you would just select SHOW NONE after you hit the menu button three times. Thank you for your answer, I'd hoped it was only the 2002's and a new radio would work correctly but after risking problems with service people taking it apart I may wind up exactly as before.

My 2002 LS has what looks like the identical radio (but says Alpine) and this feature works correctly all the time. Most radio stations do not broadcast this name/title data and the one station I listen to that does use it does not do it very early in the morning - it just displays the station name during off-hours. Yes, you did answer the question, if late model Birds still have the glitch I won't bother with trying to fix it unless I could get a LS Alpine unit.

Harry

Quickdraw

I sure wish the Bird had all of the features the LS has. Drove a new (2005) V8 LS for about 1500 miles a week ago. It was great. Heated & cooled seats all the computer gadgets and my favorite a compass in mirror. The V8 we had gave us 25+MPG on the trip. Does not handle as well as Bird. Seems to wander a bit in wind 20-30MPH. I think our birds have more front leg room and the seat moves back more than in LS. I know it is not about the radio question, but I just wanted to tell someone about the comparison I made. Of course LS is MUCH MORE QUIET than BIRD. As it should be, sedan vs roadster.

Thanks

Dennis

LS comparison

I have a 2003 TBird and a 2004 LS8 Sport. I agree that Ford should have included more of the LS features (burns me up that there's no one touch down/up for the passenger side window, and only one touch down for the driver's side).

Looking at the blank spot where the LS computer read out exists is another annoying point. Having the built in gargage door opener is also a plus for the LS.

I like the LS mirror, but I can take or leave the compass feature.

However, my LS rides and corners way better than my TBird. Except for the lack of open air driving, I'll take the LS ride way over the Bird.

Simply put, you take the TBird for a ride; you take the LS for a drive. There's a difference.

My LS feels a little bit quicker, but that could just be due to assemly line variables, although the LS may be slightly lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back