Thoughts on Soft/Hard Top, 2003 Torch Red

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
It’s all very nice but I think I may have spotted a speck of dust.
:D
Have you ever tried to detail an engine? it takes hrs and yes you did see a spot of dust. I am old and a little slower than I use to be and back in the day you would not find that spec of dust.

Have you ever tried to detail an engine? it takes hrs and yes you did see a spot of dust. I am old and a little slower than I use to be and back in the day you would not find that spec of dust.
Just in case you misunderstood, my comment was all in jest. You did a beautiful job. Yes, I’ve detailed engines and appreciate the effort involved. As a fellow old guy, I tip my hat.

That didn't come out just right, I did understand what you were saying its all good.

So, since I bought the car, I really like it. Its a much better daily driver than I thought it would be. I've driven it over the past three months in all three modes. Hard top on, Soft Top up and Top down. I'm fortunate, the original soft top looks like it was never raised until I bought it in March of this year. But, I'm going to clean and seal it and stow it away over the next week or two.

I like the look of the hard top best. As a convertible, the car just looks like an over long Mazda Miata. For the most part, it is a less noticeable car without the Port Hole. And, since I don't intend to keep the Ford, it'll be best to keep the cloth in fine, unfaded, clean condition. And I suppose it'd be best for the next person if I didn't roll this one over 100K miles.

Love the car but I'll have my first car, a 37 Dodge Sedan on the road in a few weeks and by fall, my first car will be my main car. But the Tbird did teach me that I'm gonna have to have a coupe too, so maybe an older one.
Best top guy in RVA fixed my rear window seal. I mentioned the hardtop, which I use in winter. He strongly advised just using the soft top. Said it’s the worst thing it hanging there. I’ve learned I can enjoy the top up and down daily with no issues. Mild winter, didn’t even put the hardtop on this past year. I have the tonneau too, but I prefer putting the top up & locking up whenever I park. Totally reliable 2 years now on my 02 with 35000 miles. Love it!

Best top guy in RVA fixed my rear window seal. I mentioned the hardtop, which I use in winter. He strongly advised just using the soft top. Said it’s the worst thing it hanging there. I’ve learned I can enjoy the top up and down daily with no issues. Mild winter, didn’t even put the hardtop on this past year. I have the tonneau too, but I prefer putting the top up & locking up whenever I park. Totally reliable 2 years now on my 02 with 35000 miles. Love it!
RVA?

Hard top is back on and the car no longer looks like a stretch miata, she looks great. I'm happier with the retro look than the plain Jane Japanese roadster look.

As for the soft top, it's been in the trunk 17 years and looks/works great. I suspect putting it back in the trunk wont hurt it.

I believe the soft tops are made from the Haartz "Stayfast" material used on lots of high end cars. If not abused and treated with some good products occasionally (like Aerospace 303 treatment) it will prob outlast some of us owners...even if you use it regularly..

I've driven convertibles my whole life. When I park with my top up, I never lock the doors. I would much rather have some punk steal my sunglasses or some loose change from my console - then have them cut my top to get in.

I haven't had any problems or looked on the car for this, but I suspect that there are channels in the trunk area where the soft top attaches that is supposed to catch water and channel it to drop out under the car. Sunroofs have a similar setup. Those drains are likely clogged. Leaves, pine needles, dirt etc... Try pulling the covers inside the trunk by the hinges and check for some drain tubes or it may be drained down the door post. They may need cleaned with vacuum, compressed air and possibly some wire or weed wacker line to clear any clog in the drain tubes. Also... check to see that that rear glass has not separated from the soft top and causing a leak or the top itself has become separated from the car.

Last edited:
I agree - there has to be a drainage channel. Unlike many vintage convertibles the rear edge of the retro TBird softop routes UNDER the rear body deck lid; water sluicing down into that area has to be channeled out somewhere, but I couldn't say where....

I also noticed I've become a "Bronze Member" - not sure how that happened !?

I've driven convertibles my whole life. When I park with my top up, I never lock the doors. I would much rather have some punk steal my sunglasses or some loose change from my console - then have them cut my top to get in.
Best to lock doors and keep things out of sight. Easiest target gets hit first. People will trash an open car just for kicks.

Back