Status
Not open for further replies.
tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is Ford behind on production of the Thunderbird? Just curious because since the local dealer said they only have had two, allocated 17 and no more are even scheduled but are all in the order banks but 2. Seems like if every dealer did get 2, that would be about 6,000 of them since there are about 3,000 Ford dealers.

TBird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Start up was a little slow but they are now doing about 150/day which I believe was the production target. The 7000's should be starting production soon, if they haven't already. I show some low 7000's with build dates of 12/3.

It is also my understanding that they want to have all the 7000's produced before Xmas break.

When I toured Wixom week before last, I was told that the production was back on schedule to the point Ford wanted to be before all the cooling fan problems we know so well. #6160 "has been dispatched via railcar" on its way to Houston. I'm ready.

Here's 6 vins for Tbirds that were billed to move across my railroad on 12/7. Billed to a mixing center in Illinois so cannot tell where they are ultimately going yet.
-
Mine arrived in Mesquite, TX on another railroad last night and was spotted for unloading. Should be all truck after that to Burleson, Tx. - 106496. Yahoo.

Recognize your vin or at least you can see in the 7200's being shipped as of last Friday.
1FAHP60A02Y107232 1FAHP60A92Y107231 1FAHP60A02Y107229
1FAHP60A82Y107222
1FAHP60A22Y107216
1FAHP60A82Y106345

------------------
Bob - 106496

Originally posted by jodrod:
Start up was a little slow but they are now doing about 150/day which I believe was the production target. The 7000's should be starting production soon, if they haven't already. I show some low 7000's with build dates of 12/3.

It is also my understanding that they want to have all the 7000's produced before Xmas break.

Just got an update from vintagecar who toured Wixom last week and production is now at about 100 cars/day and they are working only one shift. With about 9 working days left till break and being in the low 7000's now, they should be to the 8000's by Xmas.

It sounds like #7420 may be close to production! Say Pooh, can you keep an eye out for two shiny blue birds rolling down the line? Mine will be right behind Exit32's #7419. Eleven months since my order, but it's almost here! Looks like it will be delivered before my T-bird cap. Got a letter saying that would be unavailable until January.

Jodrod,
-
We get billing from for Ford out of Wixom when routed over our lines.
-
Those bills have VINs for all the units loaded on the rail car.
-
I can tell the rail destination for the rail car.
-
107232 was one of the vins for a car actually loaded and billed last Friday out of Wixom. Rail car billed to mixing center outside of Chicago.
-
I would think 7419 and 20 were built by today.
-
If it moves across our railroad I can help keep posted.

------------------
Bob - 106496

Thanks for the info, DFW TBird. As you can see, tr cruiser and I have been waiting for our sequentially numbered blue Birds (VIN 7419 is mine; 7420 belongs to tr cruiser) for almost a year now. Please let us know if you spot either of these two VINs on your paperwork. I believe tr cruiser is in California; I'm in Massachusetts. It will be interesting to see which car arrives first.

I wish there was a way I could know "which" one was yours.... unfortunately in paint we don't use the same number as the actual vin- so its hard to tell.

Tonite we had a lot of blue birds- more than usual and more than any other color. With any luck yours was one of them.

Not sure how many hours the Thunderbird line is working- we have been averaging 9-10 in paint.

Salesman called Tuesday night. His boss made a call and we drove to Mesquite yesterday afternoon and picked up my baby. 9 months and 1 day after ordered. I drove it back to Burleson with the white plastic all over it. It had about .5 mi on it.
-
By the time we got the car cleaned up and the paper work done, it was dark.
-
I couldn't wait for daylight so I could really see it.
-
It rained here until just a few minutes ago but after 9 months I drove it anyway.
-
While at the Mesquite, Hadley haulaway lot we spotted 3 more premiums. I hope these belong to someone monitoring the board.
-
105883 black
106533 white
106575 yellow
-

------------------
Bob - 106496

DFW TBird,

Talk about a black and white, this gives new meaning to it. Merry Xmas.
smile.gif

Production is in the low 7500's as of yesterday and it is my understanding that there is no hold.

Deliveries are running an average of 6 days ahead of ETA's and an average of 20 days build to delivery.

Jodrod:

Production is in the low 7500s???

YIPPEEE THAT'S ME BABY!!! 7502 is about as low in the 7500s as you get!!

I've been a good boy Santa really... can't you squeeze just one more car in that sleigh??

New TBird, new house on 12/17/01, now if I only had a new hairline I'd be set.

Tom M

Originally posted by tbird:
Is Ford behind on production of the Thunderbird? Just curious because since the local dealer said they only have had two, allocated 17 and no more are even scheduled but are all in the order banks but 2. Seems like if every dealer did get 2, that would be about 6,000 of them since there are about 3,000 Ford dealers.

TBird

Actually according to Ford, there are about 4300 dealers. Every dealer got their first car delivered before any dealer got their second. My dealer has had 4, and I know another dealer in New Jersey that had at least 7 or 8 delivered.

On the surface that does not sound fair... because some never got their second, but in reality they have a system in place to make sure each dealer gets a "proportionate share" of their cars for the duration of the production year. If a dealer is getting a 10 car allocation, they will be getting 1 car a month for about 10 months. If a dealer is getting 2 cars, then they would get the second car about 1/2 way into the year.

In my case my dealer is getting 30, so he's expecting 3 per month.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back