Parking Brake boot | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Parking Brake boot

• Thread starter Thread starter Putt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings ( from soggy Seattle )
I arrived at the office one day and set the parking brake. The bottom of the boot popped up from the console. I tried to reattach it but it appeared that there was no longer any "locking/latching" mechanism.
I took the car to my local Ford dealer and they said that the brake handle and boot had to be replaced. They ordered the part and I returned to have it installed on Thursday. They had the car for half a day.
This was pretty straight forward and covered under warranty.
Thought I'd pass this along. Kudos to Todd at Ford of Bellevue for good service.
Putt
2003 Metalic Gray/black/black ink

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

i had the same thing happen to me putt they took care of it real fast just thought i would let you now you wasnt the only one. dennis

For anyone interested, there is a Tech service bulletin for the parking brake lever boot. TSB 05-13-11
See next posting:

Last edited:
If you are out of warranty and want to tackle this problem yourself, here is some data of how another owner repaired his own. I don't think he would mind me sharing it with you:

:FIX FOR PARKING BRAKE BOOT:

I used a metal clip and sheet metal screw (can be found at any auto parts store) to replace the broken plastic tab. I fastened the metal clip to the front left side of the plastic frame of the parking brake boot using the sheet metal screw. (Drill a small pilot hole in the plastic frame before installing the screw.) The screw can be adjusted in or out for the necessary depth to act as "clip" to secure the boot when pushed into place on the console.
If needed, a second clip and sheet metal screw could be added to the right side of the plastic boot frame; however this wasn't needed for my situation as the one screw holds the boot very tight to the console."

By the way, I have now attached a copy of the TSB mentioned in previous post. Hope it helps someone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.