Original Firestone space saver spare tire exploded in trunk

S

steve_f

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just a reminder why tires need to be replaced by date of manufacture and not tread. My original, never on the car spare tire exploded in my trunk. A new tire was on my list to replace. Guess it just got moved to the top of the list.
DA8E5BF2-4AB6-4F43-82EE-07EA072136D4.jpeg3E388871-CE92-4C44-9B8D-E13AABFD2407.jpegC35BF704-151B-41EF-A46F-B36AB8423E2A.jpegE18D1A8A-4929-4DD8-A9D1-0319312597AE.jpeg4E8279C3-D894-46F5-921F-273BD2225F8C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My car came that way, the spare was popped. I couldn't find one at the time so I purchased a chrome 7 spoke wheel with a michelin pilot mounted on it. I eventually found the Maxxis spare and actually had to use it once. Now I have a chrome wheel, center cap and tire in the back of my garage.

common issue with original spares, that and also have aftermarket wheels is why I have a real spare that does not require so much air pressure in mine.still a good reminder for those newer owners who don't know

Just a reminder why tires need to be replaced by date of manufacture and not tread. My original, never on the car spare exploded in my trunk. A new tire was on my list to replace. Guess it just got moved to the top of the list.
I guess I better replace mine next spring with the rest of the tires!! It’s from 2002 also!

That really is surprising. The seven year rule really has more to do with the tires being exposed to the elements, specifically heat, which can cause the rubber to deteriorate. That said, eighteen years is a long time, and a rubber band that sits in your desk drawer will definitely be less elastic after a few years. Old rubber, under pressure, I guess it all adds up. Time to start shopping for a replacement tire.

My car came that way, the spare was popped. I couldn't find one at the time so I purchased a chrome 7 spoke wheel with a michelin pilot mounted on it. I eventually found the Maxxis spare and actually had to use it once. Now I have a chrome wheel, center cap and tire in the back of my garage.
If that seven spoke wheel was off a 2004 Thunderbird, I would be asking you to sell it to me! Two of mine have the chrome peeling off and I don’t want to pay the outrageous amount being asked for OEM through the dealership. Even with my special relationship with my local Ford dealer (I used to be his FoMoCo Parts & Service Rep), I’m still looking at $1,600 CDN per wheel. It has me thinking aftermarket, but I really don’t want to go that way.

That really is surprising. The seven year rule really has more to do with the tires being exposed to the elements, specifically heat, which can cause the rubber to deteriorate. That said, eighteen years is a long time, and a rubber band that sits in your desk drawer will definitely be less elastic after a few years. Old rubber, under pressure, I guess it all adds up. Time to start shopping for a replacement tire.
18 years in the trunk in the Arizona desert has a lot to do with it.

I just let the air out of the spare on my 2003 a couple of years ago. The car never leaves the city and I have AAA.

If that seven spoke wheel was off a 2004 Thunderbird, I would be asking you to sell it to me! Two of mine have the chrome peeling off and I don’t want to pay the outrageous amount being asked for OEM through the dealership. Even with my special relationship with my local Ford dealer (I used to be his FoMoCo Parts & Service Rep), I’m still looking at $1,600 CDN per wheel. It has me thinking aftermarket, but I really don’t want to go that way.
Had mine rechromed on my 03 and they look great.
Ken

Does anyone know where to get a replacement for the original spare wheel? My ex son-in-law screwed mine up.

When a tire of mine let go on the road, I learned there is a born on date on the inside of the tire.

the coding started in 2000. None of mine had a code telling me their minimum age.

Replaced everything including the full size spare.

Just a reminder why tires need to be replaced by date of manufacture and not tread. My original, never on the car spare tire exploded in my trunk. A new tire was on my list to replace. Guess it just got moved to the top of the list.
View attachment 14242View attachment 14243View attachment 14244View attachment 14245View attachment 14246
Are you in a high temperature part of the country and was the car out in the sun when it happened? I attempted to get a close fit spare from Walmart a few years ago that was too wide so the trunk floor would not fit. They gave me my money back because I had not mounted it. Let us know if you find a perfect fit. There was one available several years ago but it was scarce and a lot more money. I am going to look again before I head south with the car hopefully next spring. (Mine had been used at least once by me and I would not want to be with out it)

I believe the original size is still available from Maxxis. If you have one that won’t work with your trunk floor, you can make a new floor from plywood and use the original floor as a pattern.

Are you in a high temperature part of the country and was the car out in the sun when it happened? I attempted to get a close fit spare from Walmart a few years ago that was too wide so the trunk floor would not fit. They gave me my money back because I had not mounted it. Let us know if you find a perfect fit. There was one available several years ago but it was scarce and a lot more money. I am going to look again before I head south with the car hopefully next spring. (Mine had been used at least once by me and I would not want to be with out it)
I got a replacement from Maxxis delivered to my door in a few days. Already mounted and back in the trunk. And yes I do live in a high temperature state (Arizona).

Do the exploding tires do any damage to the trunk interior?

My rubber split. But did not pop. I went to a Firestone dealer and first thing he did was let the air out. He said that if it pops it could cause damage to the fuse box or the battery.

No trunk interior damage. Just a lot of small pieces of tire scattered around the spare tire well. Almost took out the battery though. Was about 6-8 inches to the right of the battery towards the back of the car.

Back