To the tune of Highway Man:

"I drive a Tee Bird - Along the coast roads I do ride
Cops and wrenches by my side
Many a part has failed me on these rides
Parts from Amazon with me do abide
Help from Thunderbird Forum comes to my aid
So of owning an old Tee Bird I ain't afraid
I will always be riding around and around and around"

Wow, someone thinking like me and not blindingly defending the car. (refreshing!) It is a PITA to own. (2002 TBird) . I took it out for a spin to the grocery store today. It was fun.

My love affair with Thunderbirds started at an early age; 1955, when I was 7 years old and the Thunderbird was newly hatched. I was born and raised on a steady diet of Fords; both my parents worked at Grand Avenue Ford in St. Paul Minnesota. The second biggest day of the year (after Christmas) was the day the new cars were unveiled. In those times, the new models were kept under wraps until the big day. The windows of the dealer showrooms were covered with paper for days ahead of time, and the extra new cars were stored way in the back of the lot, out of easy view. When the big day finally did arrive, my parents would come home from work a few hours early, we’d change into Sunday clothes and go out for dinner. Then we’d head out to Grand Avenue Ford to spend some time basking in the festive atmosphere. After that we would go visit a couple of other Ford dealerships around town, and, if there was time, pay a visit to the enemy, the evil Chevy dealer. By the time we arrived back home, I had memorized every feature and design detail of every car we had seen. No visions of sugarplums for me that night. Fairlanes, Impalas and Crown Victorias danced in my head.

In 1955 the new Thunderbird wasn’t introduced with the rest of the new models. The first time I saw one I was upside down. Mom and I were at Grand Avenue Ford on a Saturday afternoon to pick up Dad who had worked that morning. While we were waiting for him, George Buck, the owner of the dealership snuck up behind me, scooped me up and carried me by my ankles out to the street in front of the dealership where his brand spanking new white Thunderbird (think American Graffiti) was parked. Before I knew what was happening, I was sitting next to him (bench seat) and we were zooming down Grand Avenue. I don’t know if we were out for 5 minutes or 30 minutes. All I knew when we got back was that I was gobsmacked smitten and deeply in love with the most amazing car on earth.

After a few years and for a couple of years after that, Dad’s job allowed him to drive a company car for a few weeks several times per year. If one was available, of course he chose a Thunderbird. By then, they were no longer a cool two-seater, but I was in love with them none-the-less. I remember sitting at the window at home, anxiously looking up the street waiting to catch the first glimpse of the most wonderful car that would be ours for the next few weeks.

After I graduated from high school, Thunderbirds became less and less interesting and cool. By the time the last Thunderbird rolled off the assembly line around 1995, I, and most of the rest of the world had mostly lost interest in this once great icon.

The automobile world stood up and took notice when in 1999 when Ford unveiled the new Thunderbird concept car. The production model followed a few years later and lived up to the expectations of everyone who had seen the concept car. Waiting lists were months long, and people were paying $10 - $15 thousand dollar premiums to be the first on their block with a new Thunderbird. The automotive press by and large gave the new T-Bird good to great reviews. Ford had another J. Mays designed winner in their stable. I followed the rebirth of the Thunderbird every step of the way. In October of 2002 I finally saw a new Thunderbird for the first time. I’m driving on I-80 near Cleveland on my way from my home in Vermont to Des Moines to help direct the Des Moines Marathon. Almost like radar, I spotted a Bird quite a ways ahead of me. I threw caution to the wind as I wove through traffic to get a better look. When I got within 5 or 6 car lengths, I was already in love again. I followed and passed and followed and passed this stunning blue Thunderbird for several miles until the driver exited I-80 and I continued on towards Des Moines, totally re-smitten and gob-smacked in love.

Fast forward to the late summer of 2005. One of Thunderbird’s earliest and most loyal fans is out for a run in Carlisle Iowa. As usual I pass Wright Chevrolet (still the enemy, sort of) where a Thunderbird is parked front and center amongst the other used cars. An external force compels me to interrupt my run long enough to check it out. I’ve seen but a handful of Thunderbirds on the road since resuming my love affair in 2002, but never one close up. Hot and sweaty, I devour every detail. The interior is beautiful, I’m in love with the chrome alloy wheels, the porthole in the top is the best styling detail I have ever seen. Then and there I renew my vow of undying love and reluctantly resume my run. Parting has never been such sweet sorrow.

As soon as I’m home and showered, I log on to the internet and find Wright’s website to learn all the details about the Thunderbird I had tried to devour an hour earlier. Lots of good news; excellent condition, well cared for and reasonable mileage. One bit of bad news; a two year old Thunderbird is still priced well out of my range. Undaunted (OK a little daunted) I begin scouring the internet in search of an affordable Thunderbird. E-Bay Motors?, nope, Cars.com?, nope, Yahoo cars?, what’s this? A 2002 T-bird priced about $6000 less than “Blue Book” More amazing, it’s located less than 15 miles from where I live! I gotta check this out. The next day I’m examining the car...a little higher than average mileage (41K), pristine interior, real clean under the hood, but there IS a glitch (isn’t there always?). The front has some cosmetic damage. The grill is pushed in a little at the bottom and the front bumper/grill surround has some nicks and dings in it. That evening I find repair parts on the internet (god I LOVE the internet). Looks like it would cost about a thousand dollars to replace the damaged parts. The next day I take her for a test drive. She’s a kick-butt cruiser. I’d like to propose, but I just can’t.

I decide to let the credit union decide if I’m indeed a worthy suitor. Alas and alack, within days I’m approved for the loan. Now I really have to decide if I’m ready to take the plunge.

The following day finds me in Waterloo Iowa helping a friend set up the course of a half marathon he’s directing the next day. As we’re driving out to the far end on the course to begin setting out mile markers, I’m on the phone with the credit union learning all the details of the pending loan. I look up from the notes I’m writing to see of all things, a Thunderbird (!!) approaching us on the road...perhaps the 7th of 8th I’ve ever seen. An omen? I think so. Then and there I decide to go for it.

The marriage is consummated, we’re on our honeymoon, love is in full bloom.

Back