noisy rearend is normal | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

noisy rearend is normal

• Thread starter Thread starter hwt03
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H
Reaction score
I just bought a 2004 Bird about three weeks ago with only 3800 miles. There is a slight whine from the rear at 40-50 MPH. I took it back to the dealer (FORD) and they said that it is an acceptable whine and added a half quart of oil. I don't think any whine is normal. They also left dirty boot prints on my carpet. Needless to say, I'm pissed. I paid alot of money for the car and I have to listen to the rearend. I sent them a nasty email and I won't go back there, besides they are 100 miles away and I'm racking up miles taking the car there. I do have an extended warrenty that the original owner bought, and it transfered to me so I can take the car anywhere. Should I try a Lincoln dealer? I believe the suspension is Lincoln. Anyone ever have a similar problem? What should I do?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just bought a 2004 Bird about three weeks ago with only 3800 miles. There is a slight whine from the rear at 40-50 MPH. I took it back to the dealer (FORD) and they said that it is an acceptable whine and added a half quart of oil. I don't think any whine is normal. They also left dirty boot prints on my carpet. Needless to say, I'm pissed. I paid alot of money for the car and I have to listen to the rearend. I sent them a nasty email and I won't go back there, besides they are 100 miles away and I'm racking up miles taking the car there. I do have an extended warrenty that the original owner bought, and it transfered to me so I can take the car anywhere. Should I try a Lincoln dealer? I believe the suspension is Lincoln. Anyone ever have a similar problem? What should I do?

yes, by all means try a Lincoln dealer... I don't believe it's a common problem - between the radio blaring oldies and my Borla exhaust I couldn't hear any whine...

Yep, George, I took the printouts you sent me about other cars with similar problems, but they didn't want to read them. I wish I could go to a local garage with the extended warrenty. The daelerships just don't listen or seem to care. There really is nothing wrong with my car other than a slight whine. I guess for now I'll turn up the radio. I want to enjoy the car for now and deal with this in the off season. OPPS !!!! I hear my Bird calling, see you on the street. Don't forget to wave.

Harold

But you could go to a Lincoln Dealership - They honor all Ford warranties and the Lincoln LS has same drive train as our cars - That's if there is one near you

I stopped at a Lincoln Dealer today and they have more excuses than Ford. First he said that they wouldn't have the right tools to work on it and I said that its the same driveline as Lincoln. Well, he said, we could adjust the gears in the differental but it might make more noise or at a different speed. No wonder the american dealers are in trouble....where has customer service gone??? I'm just going to drive the car for now and trade it in the spring.

Sunday I spent 4 hours washing, waxing and cleaning the car. We deceided to go out for a ride and on our way home (just 2 miles from home) the sky opened up and it poured. I had to pull over and put the top up. When we got home I cleaned the car all over again. It sure looks good in the garage!!!

I stopped at a Lincoln Dealer today and they have more excuses than Ford. First he said that they wouldn't have the right tools to work on it and I said that its the same driveline as Lincoln. Well, he said, we could adjust the gears in the differental but it might make more noise or at a different speed. No wonder the american dealers are in trouble....where has customer service gone??? I'm just going to drive the car for now and trade it in the spring.

Sunday I spent 4 hours washing, waxing and cleaning the car. We deceided to go out for a ride and on our way home (just 2 miles from home) the sky opened up and it poured. I had to pull over and put the top up. When we got home I cleaned the car all over again. It sure looks good in the garage!!!

Manufacturers do not have to and typically will not repair 'noisey' parts, including rear ends. Parts must actually break for warranty repair. Now, if you have a good relationship with dealer, and if you are within warranty, dealer can do a "goodwill gesture." (My choice of words and quotes.)

When Detroit was making money, they were more likely to replace noisey parts.

Do what the Trans Am and Vette owners do. They pick up carpeting in trunk and shove insulation under it. That kills a ton of noise. Problem is that you are still left with rear end that is somewhat suspect.

I have a 2004 I bought about 3 months ago, and it makes a whine from the rear end as well. It has not bothered me enough to have it looked at, because it drives smoothly, and I just figured that is the way the car sounds. I will ask about it when I take mine in for maintenance next week, and will update you if my dealer has anything different to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back