No start 2002 Thunderbird bad instrument cluster ground | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

No start 2002 Thunderbird bad instrument cluster ground

• Thread starter Thread starter Bobberoo
  • Start date Start date
B

Bobberoo

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
This spring, after 4 months of heated inside storage my 2002 Thunderbird would not start. No response to the key in start position. I had it towed to my Ford dealer and they traced it to the ground that passed through or originated in the instrument cluster. Not good news. Discontinued part from long ago. Does anyone know of a repair/rebuild facility that may be able to help me? I don’t really want to hunt one down from a junkyard as you never know what you may be getting. Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I revised your title and as a result, you will see several related posts above.
"No start 2002 Thunderbird" is now=
"No start 2002 Thunderbird bad instrument cluster ground"

I would give these folks a call: https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-instrument-cluster-repair/

The dealer's don't want to open up the retro bird instrument clusters but I've done it and repaired several issues on them...an errant ground doesn't sound like that big a deal to repair but then I don't always trust the dealer's diagnosis; I've had spotty luck with them on these cars.

Well - there are used 2002 instrument clusters around, not cheap and will require programming for your car, also a task which most dealers no longer do:

If you're interested in the one in the link I'd contact the seller first and see if he offers reprogramming services or you will have a no start condition and possibly a bogus mileage indication. This seller offers 30 day returns and a tech phone number for help on that web page ($15 charge). I was looking for a 2002 cluster before I fixed mine a few months back and the price for this one seems to be about the going rate for a good, used one....and bear in mind -- the 2002 clusters were only made for one year.

IIRC my local Ford dealer gave me a number for a service that might (repeat MIGHT) fix a retro bird instrument cluster, I will try to dig it up later...

Found the referrals - this is what Ford of Clermont, FL provided me for instrument cluster repair, they had NO idea if these folks are still working on these components and I never actually reached out to ANY of them (fixed my cluster myself) but you could certainly take a shot -- and PLEASE let us know if you have any success with any of these outfits!

You can, of course, ignore the Circuit Board Medics referral below, before you call any of these firms though I would have the SPECIFIC diagnostic test from the dealer that the instrument cluster failed; it will prob be expressed as a voltage or resistance measurement from a pin on one connector to a pin on another:
Capture.PNG

If any of these folks offer you an exchange (highly doubtful for this rare part) then it will need programmed for your car !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back