Newbie Questions | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Newbie Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Bar_20
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I looked at some 2004 T-Birds today. We have some questions.
Is the rear window on the cloth top glass or plastic. All models we looked at came with the hardtop and all were on the car.
Is there a Ford site where I can access the colors available in 2004. All I can find is the 2005 site.
In the 2005 brochure there is no mention of a white exterior, but one of the dealers had a 2005 White Thunderbird in stock. Is this a rare color for 2005?
Does the engine use regular unleaded gas or a higer grade?
Thanks
Steve

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Bar_20 said:
My wife and I looked at some 2004 T-Birds today. We have some questions.
Is the rear window on the cloth top glass or plastic. All models we looked at came with the hardtop and all were on the car.
Is there a Ford site where I can access the colors available in 2004. All I can find is the 2005 site.
In the 2005 brochure there is no mention of a white exterior, but one of the dealers had a 2005 White Thunderbird in stock. Is this a rare color for 2005?
Does the engine use regular unleaded gas or a higer grade?
Thanks
Steve

Rear window in the soft top is glass with a heating element.
Heres the 2004 colors and how many of each color were made:
Merlot: 3,961
Silver: 2,721
Black: 1,930
Red: 1,734
Pacific Coast Roadster: 992 (this is Montery Mist green)
Ice Blue: 728
Mint Green: 605
TOTAL: 12,671

If the dealer had a white 2005 it was the limited (1,500) Cashmere 50th Anniversary Special Edition. It will have a number in the glove box telling what number of the 1,500 it is - I.E. 481 of 1500 and it only come with the white interior. I think this edition is 2-3k more than the regular Premium.

The owners manual recommends 91+ but I use 89 octane in my LS (same engine) without problems. I use 91+ in the Thunderbird but it not a daily driver. I've heard that the computer will adjust the timing to eliminate spark knock and I've heard of people using 87 octane.

potential 2004 owner

Good morning,

I'm also considering a leftover 2004. I found a Light Ice Deluxe with a good price and a fair trade for my 02 F150 S/C.

My questions concern usability and longevity. I don't think I've seen anyone with the current Tbird who has over 20k miles. Has anyone seen/heard of a higher mileage Tbird?

Also, how usable are these? I'd be giving up my F150 Lariat and driving the Tbird as a daily driver.

What kind of gas mileage do people really see? I'd be doing mainly city with some highway driving.

Thanks!

Kevin

kevinbnstl said:
Good morning,

I'm also considering a leftover 2004. I found a Light Ice Deluxe with a good price and a fair trade for my 02 F150 S/C.

My questions concern usability and longevity. I don't think I've seen anyone with the current Tbird who has over 20k miles. Has anyone seen/heard of a higher mileage Tbird?

Also, how usable are these? I'd be giving up my F150 Lariat and driving the Tbird as a daily driver.

What kind of gas mileage do people really see? I'd be doing mainly city with some highway driving.

Thanks!

Kevin

Wow, a F150 to a Tbird is quite a change.... I know people with 40,000 miles... Usable? I store mine for the Chicago winter and I would never call it useable.... its fun, it makes you feel young, (Im 63) and it really turns heads but it isn't very practical. Even people with a flat tire can not close the decklid with the full size flat - Its a wonderful toy, and Im glad I got it, but its not a utility vehicle.

I think they claim gas mileage is 17 city and 24 highway and thats probably pretty close.

....well Kevin....that is quite change in transportation for you....your needs must have changed.....I went from a Mustang G.T. to the 'Bird....It is my daily driver....I've had it for a year and 3 months....translating into 2 winters....I have just under 35000km. on it now.....It is very easy to live with....the only thing that didn't fit in the trunk was a wine corker.....so i bought one!....smallest trunk I've seen is in a Crossfire roadster.....that will put things in perspective.....the trunk is plenty usable for two and groceries......mechanically...we have the L.S/Jag platform and drivetrain....what's to worry about?......It's the most satisfying and rewarding ownership experience I've had.....can't imagine driving anything else!...... πŸ˜€

πŸ˜‰ undefined
kevinbnstl said:
Good morning,

Thanks!

Kevin

NewtonπŸ˜€id you buy one yet

πŸ˜‰ I'm thinking of trading my 2001 F-150 too. πŸ˜‰

I had a truck, I guess it's use wouldn't be just for transportation. Yes, a drive to work, but then picking up big items at the srore vs. delivery is convenient. Visibility is great from trucks. I'm sure you can see a traffic light while your waiting for it to change too. There's a lot of versatility in a truck. πŸ˜€

I like my TBird a lot, but it is a weekender for me. In the summer I take it to work twice a week. Fair mileage. I really need one of those old fashioned light finders, and don't plan on trips with it that require lots of suit cases. In these you pack loosely in soft luggage. πŸ™„

You can learn to love them. 😎 They get many comments 😎 and they're fun to drive. Tough decision, πŸ˜• good luck!! πŸ˜€

F-150? T-Bird? Hmmm...... why choose!?!?!?

Bar 20, the bird is a fun ride.....kinda like a little rocket on rails.... but, as you've read above, it's NOT a grocery hauler.... for those who are long-waisted like me, headroom is not the best.....better with the soft top than with the hard top.... mileage around town from 15-17 mpg.... I drive my F-150 to work on inclement days, and drive the birdy on nice days.... it makes me grin in delight every time I look at it!!! πŸ™‚

We traded a Silverado in on our 2005. I told hubby he would miss his truck, his reply was "I might miss it sometimes, but I will enjoy this all the time." πŸ˜‰

Tarre said:
We traded a Silverado in on our 2005. I told hubby he would miss his truck, his reply was "I might miss it sometimes, but I will enjoy this all the time." πŸ˜‰

My guess is that you've already gotten more compliments on the Thunderbird than the last three other vehicles you've owned. The only exception seems to be in Florida where Thunderbirds are fairly common.

Did the dealer explain that you need to put clear plastic strips under the rear hardtop seal when you install the top? If you have your hardtop on now you don't want to drive it very long without checking to see if the strips are installed. The hard top movement causes scuffing of the paint where the rubber seal rests on the car.

You've already given me your VIN, and with that high of a number, it was probably made in June, but I'll get your exact build date on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back