New Owner / Member 2004 Premium (Merlot)

Just got my 04 Merlot in January and put it in the garage for the winter. Tried starting it yesterday and only got a clicking sound. Voltage on the battery is 12.3. Checked front and rear fuse boxes where relays are clicking. Battery terminals are clean and tight. Any suggestions on where to check for a loose terminal.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

As a non mechanic, did you try jumping it from another car or a jump box or charger.. I bought a Battery Tender for mine two years ago and that keeps the battery fresh and ready to go over the long winter hibernation.. I do not hook it up over the driving season.. I try to pull mine TBird out at least once every 6 weeks to warm it up for about 20 - 30 minutes..

Last edited:
Isn't 12.3 volts low? I thought a 12 bolt battery was normally between 13 and 14 volts to be fully charged. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Isn't 12.3 volts low? I thought a 12 bolt battery was normally between 13 and 14 volts to be fully charged. Maybe I'm mistaken.

That’s what I thought also in a layman’s world.. Clicking is kind of like when you turn on a flashlight and you still get some light from it but it’s very dim.. Again, I’m not a mechanic and don’t try to play one on TV either..

First of all I would charge the battery, then see what happens. A battery can read fully charged, but under a load test will read low. If a battery reads around 10v under load after charge, for all practical purposes, it dead. This is the type of load tester I use.... https://i.*********/a3RcitZ.jpg

Should I disconnect the negative terminal when charging or can I leave both terminals connected?
First of all I would charge the battery, then see what happens. A battery can read fully charged, but under a load test will read low. If a battery reads around 10v under load after charge, for all practical purposes, it dead. This is the type of load tester I use.... https://i.*********/a3RcitZ.jpg

I think this group will be very helpful for me, I live in Maryland and just purchased the 2003 a one owner car with 59,000 miles and plan to keep in Myrtle Beach South Carolina and use on my monthly visits there. The car is red with a white porthole top. Wish all group members the best of luck with their cars. I also have a 2002 Roadster which I will keep in Maryland.

Welcome to the forum.. There are a lot if people in here with a ton of information to help you from jumping when the time comes.. I love your color combo. I have a red with red top but I have a eye out for a white top for mine..

Back