New Member with questions about 2002-2005 Tbird | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

New Member with questions about 2002-2005 Tbird

• Thread starter Thread starter rich5870
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All. I am new to the forum and have some questions about the 2002-2005 Tbirds. I do not own a Tbird yet. I am actively looking for one on the internet but I thought it best to join the forum so that I could tap into your knowledge and experience. The models that I am considering are all very low mileage, anywhere from 50-3,600 miles, and have been garaged. I test drove a new 2005 back in '05 and really liked it so I am trying to turn back the clock and buy a "new" 2002-2005 now. I am not looking to stick it in a garage and look at it for 20 years, I intend to drive the car and enjoy it. It may see 2,500 miles a year, if that. It will be garaged and well cared for.

The questions that I would like to ask are as follows:

1) Is there a particular model year that would be a better choice in terms of being more dependable, having less factory gliches, and more updates? Is the '05 the best choice because it is the latest model or are all model years mechanically ok?

2) Are these cars dependable, or are they constantly experiencing one problem or another? This is a big concern because I am not mechanically inclined.

3) Does Ford still offer complete service and parts for them? Are there any aftermarket companies that offer quality aftermarket parts?

4) Is there anything I should be on the lookout for when I find the car that I like best?

5) How well do aftermarket warranties cover these cars?

Any other input or ideas that may help would be much appreciated! Any ideas where I may find a new or "like new" model with almost no miles would also be appreciated. I have narrowed my color choices down to either white or black with the mono-tone interior.

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Rich: Better to shop on the forums for deals.
I'll be away for a few days but may be able to give you some leads. What part of the US are you in?
@003 and up had 280 HP 2002 had 252HP
BNlack will be easier to find, many more of them built. No one model is better than others, but there are special editions you would pay more for. So as a driver, I'd stay away from them, if too high.
Only big issues I know of were Coils on Plugs, and there's plenty here on the search function on that. Vewry little posted lately so most may be resolved.
I think you would want the later model year with the lowest miles, depending on price. I think they are dependable!.
Ford service is good, and they now offer you a used car warranty. I found a gut in Chicago, dealer, that just sold me one (I had none and car has 15,000 miles) for $1300. 4 year 48,000 on top of whatever miles you have. I can hook you up, if you want. I'd stay away from aftermarket warr, since Ford offers them now.
If you want more discussion when I get back, sedn me a PM with your email address - BTW, I'm in MASS.

I have a 2002 and bought an extended warranty. If I would have done more research I would have bought a 2003 or later because Ford will stand by them for the COPS problem. My warranty covers that. My car was low mileage which was an attraction - and the EB looks sharp anyway. I think that's why so many were made.

Be sure and do your homework as to where your car was assembled.
The COP's problem is attibuted to the 2003-2005 Tbirds built at the Wixom plant, George(i beleive) has posted a lot of good information on this.

I suspect I am going through this issue right now with my 04 Pacific Coast Roadster edition(my car only has 15K miles), often misdiagnosed as Throttle Body assembly which is 1000.00+ repair and not covered by aftermarket warranties. So listen to the guys here that tell you to purchase from Ford directly for the 4 year, 48,000 mile warranty extension. As an after market warranty will not cover Throttle Body Assemblies.

Right down the vin number and do a carfax check, I also recently went to Ford service on their main web site and put in my vin to see what service had been done already but the site just froze up on me...might be worth a try for your prospective car.

FYI - They only made 1000 of the Pacific Coast Roadster edition TBirds, hard to find. Very distinct package, mine is number 678 out of 1000.
They are all cool cars though!

...Just so you know the entire '02 to '05 production was assembled at Wixom.....It's my thought that supplier changes brought about by cost cutting brought on the problems, as Ford realized that they had built an albatross...not a Thunderbird....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back