New convertible top | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

New convertible top

• Thread starter Thread starter red
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
red

red

Lakeview
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I own a 2005 Thunderbird with a sand convertible top and want to replace it with an equally high-quality black convertible top. Turns out Ford Parts no longer stocks replacement tops for the 2002-2005 T-Birds. Is there a third-party vendor that forum members recommend to purchase the replacement top? Thanks for any advice.

Regards. Red

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I own a 2005 Thunderbird with a sand convertible top and want to replace it with an equally high-quality black convertible top. Turns out Ford Parts no longer stocks replacement tops for the 2002-2005 T-Birds. Is there a third-party vendor that forum members recommend to purchase the replacement top? Thanks for any advice.

Regards. Red

I do not know but certainly most top installers should be able to make one. However they should use the Haartz fabric. They made the original fabric for our tops. This company supplies fabric for very many autos made in USA and Europe. Hopefully that's what you mean by 3rd party. They do not make the tops, Just the material.
By the way I have an email in to Doug Haartz to see if they are still making that material. He has not yet responded, but may be away for the Holday's

Last edited:
I have heard from my contact at Haartz regarding your top replacement. For question & answer,see below:

Hello George,
Thanks for the your message regarding the material availability on the 01-05 Thunderbirds.
What I can advise on your specific questions below are as follows:

* Is the fabric we need, still manufactured and available to top makers?

? Ford specified the Haartz Landmark TM top material in color Black. This was used for all years of the production run.
? Ford additionally added 5 unique colors between the 04? & 05? MY in the Twillfast? JU product line.
? The Black top material could be made available to the various top manufacturers if they placed a minimum order requirement. It might also be the case that they have material already on hand. You will need to inquire with the various top manufacturers.
? The 5 unique colors would additionally require a minimum order requirement for Haartz to manufacture additional product in any of the 5 colors. There will also be a lengthy leadtime as these are no longer in production. It might also be the case that they have material already on hand. You will need to inquire with the various top manufacturers.

* Is there a source you recommend to have tops made?
? Haartz does not recommend or promote any top manufacturer. If you utilize the ?Find your Top? feature on the Haartz website, found Here ,this will provide any of the members with the top manufacturers information for contact purposes.

If there are future questions from the club, they can contact us through the ?Exteriors? inquiry like you have just done. We have several team members that can provide answers to questions depending on the topic.

Red: Go to their site to find Manufacturers. You'll find them across the country and they may have that fabric to help you

Thank you

George: Many thanks to you my friend for pointing me in the right direction. The Haartz site lists a page full of companies that mfg tops using Haartz top materials. Regards. Red.

No problem Red, glad to be able to help. But, please keep us posted on how you make out.

Ordered a new Haartz top this evening.

It was just what I was looking for.

Ordered a new Haartz top this evening.

Regards. Red

That's fantastic Red! I'm tempted to pick one up to replace my sand top also. John

Came today looks good. Also confirmed it is the Haartz replacement top for a T-Bird. I own a bronze 2005 Tbird and a black or sand top looks great. I'll let you know how the top fits when it is installed. Red

Thanks for the update Red! Can't wait to hear how it looks on the car. That will be a nice combo with the bronze. I recently saw a picture of a bronze with a black hardtop that looked sweet. I have the opposite with a black third with a bronze hardtop. Keep us posted. John

Plan to purchase new top...(current top is good, it's the fabric below the rear window that's becoming an issue), who should I look for to do the installation? (I saw the link to the ebay page in the February post...I hope they have some tops left.)

Came today looks good. Also confirmed it is the Haartz replacement top for a T-Bird. I own a bronze 2005 Tbird and a black or sand top looks great. I'll let you know how the top fits when it is installed. Red
Did the top fit?? Mine black top was vandalized with spray paint and needs to be replaced (2002)

Did the top fit?? Mine black top was vandalized with spray paint and needs to be replaced (2002)
Be careful to check what fabric is being used when buying a Haartz top from a convertible top company.

Haartz is the original equipment manufacturer for the 2002-2005 T'bird cloth tops, but some companies will try to sell you a top made of a lower quality Haartz "Stayfast" cloth. I contacted the Haartz company when this happened to me and Haartz replied that the Haartz Twillfast JX or Twillfast IV toppings most closely match the quality of the original material.

"Twillfast JX is the same cloth as the original, but with a twill-weave face cloth versus square weave. Twillfast IV is twill weave face, urethane elastomer, and black PET dobby backing therefore the face and back will have a different appearance than your original top," according to the Haartz rep.

When I purchased a top made of Stayfast there was no comparison, in my opinion, in quality to the original top on my 2005 T'bird. That's what led me to contact Haartz. To the seller's credit the company took the top back and paid for return shipping.

Using Twillfast is more expensive, but reproduces the rich look and quality feel of the original top. Red

Be careful to check what fabric is being used when buying a Haartz top from a convertible top company.

Haartz is the original equipment manufacturer for the 2002-2005 T'bird cloth tops, but some companies will try to sell you a top made of a lower quality Haartz "Stayfast" cloth. I contacted the Haartz company when this happened to me and Haartz replied that the Haartz Twillfast JX or Twillfast IV toppings most closely match the quality of the original material.

"Twillfast JX is the same cloth as the original, but with a twill-weave face cloth versus square weave. Twillfast IV is twill weave face, urethane elastomer, and black PET dobby backing therefore the face and back will have a different appearance than your original top," according to the Haartz rep.

When I purchased a top made of Stayfast there was no comparison, in my opinion, in quality to the original top on my 2005 T'bird. That's what led me to contact Haartz. To the seller's credit the company took the top back and paid for return shipping.

Using Twillfast is more expensive, but reproduces the rich look and quality feel of the original top. Red
Thanks, Red
May go with the Twillfast JX. I have a vintage car guy that may do the job. I heard that Ez-on roofs don't fit as well. Were you eventually satisfied with a replacement roof?
NP

Thanks, Red
May go with the Twillfast JX. I have a vintage car guy that may do the job. I heard that Ez-on roofs don't fit as well. Were you eventually satisfied with a replacement roof?
NP

After returning the top, I postponed top replacement to next winter, which works better for my schedule.

I'd add onto this, have an experienced shop perform the installation of the top. Though you might be tempted to do it yourself, for first timers, it's difficult to get through and make the appropriate adjustments. You want someone who's done this installation at least three times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back