new carpet for 2002 thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikalix

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
I just purchased a 2002 thunderbird (love it)

but when it rains the drivers side of the compartment gets water...I brought it back to the dealer and they said the drain was clogged...QUESTION: even if the drain was clogged, should water get into the cockpit of the car? I am assuming some sort of sealant is no good?? is this true? Also I now would like to replace the carpet since everything was soaked and now smells like mildew...any ideas where I can get a new carpet??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello,
I just purchased a 2002 thunderbird (love it)

but when it rains the drivers side of the compartment gets water...I brought it back to the dealer and they said the drain was clogged...QUESTION: even if the drain was clogged, should water get into the cockpit of the car? I am assuming some sort of sealant is no good?? is this true? Also I now would like to replace the carpet since everything was soaked and now smells like mildew...any ideas where I can get a new carpet??

If it smells like mildew, this is not the first time it has been wet. I think the dealer has some responsibility here.
Like remove the carpet, close the doors and windows and spray it heavily with a hose around the top, doors and windows, checking often to see where the leak may be - Then fix it and replace the carpets after getting them shampooed.

Did more searching and found some comments:
"We had a tremendous amount of rain over the last week here and my passenger side floor board filled up with several gallons of water in both the front and back floorboard wells every day -- but only on the passenger side.
I vacuumed it out each day but it filled up by the next day. I sat in the car while it was pouring rain and could not see any leak around the window or in the soft top area.
"Another owner said; “During the weekend I noticed that the floor underneath the passenger seat was soaked. Since we had a tremendous cloudburst last Wednesday I figured it had to be related to that. But there were no signs of water leaking via the softtop nor via the windows. It was only the carpet and underneath that was wet. So, if you look how our softtop is build I figured it had to be caused by a blocked drain that normally releases the water from the softtop compartment behind the back panel. However, I could not find any indication of these drains in the service manuals. So... to find where the water drains from underneath I simply poored some water along the softtop on drivers side to see where it leaks from underneath. That indicated quickly where the end of the drain is When I did the same on passenger side no water came out”

"So, I figured if I just put a thin stick in the drain on passenger side it would open up. Well not... I could reach in for about 10 inches, but no change. Obviously drain was blocked higher up the top."

It is for sure rain water not heater core water and the spare tire well is dry"

And now more data for you:

"After a little search I found the culprit that caused all this. Drain has a plug on top that was completely blocked by debree of leaves, dust and seeds. Because of that the water did not drain but went straight into the compartment and via that into the floorpanels inside."

"Drain on drivers side was already blocked half, so cleaned that too.
It's hard to spot, but if you open the softtop a little it is easier to get to.

Another checking his says; “There was some small old debris (several leaves and stuff) on top of and in the driver's side drain. I vacuumed the loose stuff out as best as I could, after trying to find a small enough vacuum tip to get in there. It's a little tight down there.

The passenger side drain was clean though, no leaves or debris that I could see.

I was not able to see under the car, to locate where the drain pipes exit. If I can find the bottom of the drain pipe, I'll try to clear the drain pipes using a blast of air from my compressor.

I was surprised to find debris in the drain area since the T-Bird is usually parked inside the garage most of the time.”

I checked further under the car. And I put some water down the drivers side drain. Yes, water came out the bulge, just forward of the rear jacking point. But, water also dripped out several of the small openings in the bottom of the car frame."

I hope some of what I found helps you.

A Web search on Lloyd and/or Carid, will get vou carpets, for your tbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back