Need new engine! Please advise. | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Need new engine! Please advise.

• Thread starter Thread starter ShinyBlueBird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShinyBlueBird

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Yesterday I was driving and my oil light came on. My engine didn't sound normal..but there was no knocking or oder..
4 blocks later my car stalled and I couldn't restart it.
The tow guy told me I was out of oil. He put some in, and still nothing.
I got it to a Ford repair shop and I was told that my engine 'locked' and that I
now need a new engine that will cost about $7500.
I am absolutely livid.
My indicators never showed I was low on oil. I've had old clinkers
up until this one and if I was a quart low, the indictor would tell me.
I feel stupid for relieing on these indictors..I thought a new 2003
vehicle would surely let me know there was a problem before I lost an engine.
Isn't there a low oil light that is suppose to come on?
I told the mechanic this, and all he said is that the car wasn't serviced for 2 years..I needed a new carborater, the warrenty covered it. That time I told my mechanic that this will be the last Ford that I'll ever buy, he replied, 'even with an emplyee discount, I would never buy a Ford'.

I had an oil change and bumper work on the car a year ago.

Anyway, he didnt seem to care that I had no forewarning that this was going to happen.

My question is..
please someone help me...
is taking the car to a private shop and having the engine rebuilt possible?
As I know it would be cheaper.

I haven't called around because everyplace is closed.
I live in Los Angeles.

Im so distraught over all this, because I can't afford this, and will have to
borrow from family members.
Please advise asap.

My email addy is ------

Im suppose to give the garage an answer tommorrow.

Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What kind of warantee do/did you have? It seems like Ford has a power train warantee for more than the 3 yr/36k...check that out. A catastrophic loss of oil (sounds like what it is) should be covered if you're still under warantee. Shops say you're not because they want to make money...and don't make any on warantee work. Double check to see if you're still covered...take it to a laywer if you have to in order to find out. I'm not sure if legal fees would be less than a rebuild...but with a siezed engine, you're more likely looking at a new engine, not a rebuild. It depends on how bad it siezed and how much damage it caused. $7500 sounds right for a new engine.

I understand your pain. I love Fords, but will NEVER let the dealership work on mine. I know more about my car than they do. I'm a T-Bird lover and will likely own at least one for the rest of my life...hopefully more... 🙂 Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back