Need for Premium Fuel?? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Need for Premium Fuel??

• Thread starter Thread starter violet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering purchasing a 2004 Thunderbird, is the requirement for premium fuel real? What would happen if regular unleaded was used? Also, is there anything that I should look for when buying this vehicle used?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

violet said:
I am considering purchasing a 2004 Thunderbird, is the requirement for premium fuel real? What would happen if regular unleaded was used? Also, is there anything that I should look for when buying this vehicle used?

Ford recommends 91 octane for both my 02 Thunderbird and 02 Lincoln LS (same engine) while I use 91 in the Thunderbird my daily driver is the LS and I use 89 octane in that with no apparent problems. I'm told the engines computer will adjust the engine variables to accept the lower octane and prevent spark knock.

Have you already picked out a car? Will this be your daily driver? Are you in a southern state? You may not need the hardtop. Price-check at ebay to see if the price of the car you're looking at is in-line with others. And you will want to have the VIN checked at CarFax or AutoCheck to get as much of the cars history as possible.

Thanks for the quick response. It will be a daily driver as I will be driving 80 mostly highway miles a day. I live in the south and am corresponding with a seller out of the area. The car does come with the hard top. Thanks for all of the tips!

violet said:
Thanks for the quick response. It will be a daily driver as I will be driving 80 mostly highway miles a day. I live in the south and am corresponding with a seller out of the area. The car does come with the hard top. Thanks for all of the tips!

Violet, If you drive with the hardtop on be sure you have the clear plastic strips under the rear seal of the hardtop where it rests on the body (just ahead of the hi-mount brake light). Hopefully the seller can tell you about this, if he doesn't know about the strips be sure to have him take the hardtop off and look for wear marks or grooves worn in the paint from this hardtop rubbing on the unprotected paint. My hard top was only on for 200 miles without the protective strips and I got marks in the clearcoat.

He is selling the car for a relative, but must know how the hard top operates as he has sent photos with and without it in place. I have never owned a convertible before and appreciate your advice.

......Hi Violet......be prepared for a unique ownership experience that you will surely enjoy!......I'm guessing the seller has also mentioned the hardtop stand, cover, and tool for securing the top?.....If the seller was the first owner get him to check whether there are any outstanding recalls/ bulletins on the car through the selling dealer or Ford Motor Co.....Be curious to know the reason for sale?......good luck and keep us posted!....Cheers!

violet said:
He is selling the car for a relative, but must know how the hard top operates as he has sent photos with and without it in place. I have never owned a convertible before and appreciate your advice.

Its not a question of knowing how the hard top operates. Most dealers did not install the thin plastic strips on the cars before they sold them - they just didn't know better. This is something unique to the removable hardtop. It isnt an issue with the convertible mode at all except the wear marks are only visible with the hardtop off. Ford didn't even provide the clear plastic, removeable, disposable strips until they were about six months into production. Its not a big deal but it is one you should be aware of.

Violet, Make sure to check for flood damage if it came from the New Orleans area. Lots of flood damaged cars showing up a few states away from the hurricane area. If you don't know what to look for, ask if you can have it checked by a mechanic. If they refuse to do that run from the deal.. Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back